Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power does each USB-C port provide (2021 Model Y)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing some conflicting reports here. Granted Tesla changes things around. But my car was built on 03/21 and I have read the USB-C ports either output 27W each.. 27W total.. or possibly 15W each. Can someone set the record straight for each output and total output?

I have already read 2022 was upgraded to put out 36W each in the front.. and 27W in the back.

Thanks Jcanoe! Especially with the link.. learned alot.

Since it didn't state it specifically.. I would imagine total output is 60W split between all 4. The reason why I ask this is because of how slowly some of our devices appear to be charging. Especially when all 4 ports are being used at the same time.

Here you go! I have a USB-PD tester so I ran the numbers quick for you.

Front USB-C port:
USB-PD 3.0
5V/3A
9V/3A

Rear USB-C ports:
USB-PD 3.0
5V/3A
9V/3A

So each port can provide up to 27W max, assuming your devices can input 9V.
I don't know what the total output (all 3 ports) would be, need to plug in 27W load to each of 3 ports and see what happens ;)
I have some USB DC loads that I can try to load up each port and see what happens. Let me know if you guys are interested in seeing this.
Would be also interesting to find out what the USB-C ports in the 3rd row seats are (likely same as 2nd row, 27W).

Note I have a 2021 MY with front USB-C/USB-A ports. So the power at the front port might be different in newer cars.

Last edited:
Here you go! I have a USB-PD tester so I ran the numbers quick for you.

Front USB-C port:
USB-PD 3.0
5V/3A
9V/3A

Rear USB-C ports:
USB-PD 3.0
5V/3A
9V/3A

So each port can provide up to 27W max, assuming your devices can input 9V.
I don't know what the total output (all 3 ports) would be, need to plug in 27W load to each of 3 ports and see what happens ;)
I have some USB DC loads that I can try to load up each port and see what happens. Let me know if you guys are interested in seeing this.
Would be also interesting to find out what the USB-C ports in the 3rd row seats are (likely same as 2nd row, 27W).

Note I have a 2021 MY with front USB-C/USB-A ports. So the power at the front port might be different in newer cars.

Man this is the type of AWESOME information I tend to get on this forum. Never thought to ask someone to do that. But it finally it addresses the conflicting answers where some people say the USB-C port can output 27W.. others say it can only output 15W.

This also explains why I feel like my phone charges fairly fast when its just me in the car. But when my wife & kids are in the car and we are all plugged in, using all 4 slots.. that the USB-C charging gets really slow. I've driven for over 4 hours with everyone in the car plugged in.. and the kids iPads in the rear seat still did not fully charge. Probably because they were getting 15W or less.

Yes!! I would be very interested if you would test loading each port to see what happens! As generally speaking on a long road trip.. everyone in the car tends to have their personal device plugged in!!

Many.. many thanks in advance!!!

What do you mean "Power" the ipad? It will definitely charge it. It may charge slower than on a home charger, but it will DEFINITELY charge it at some speed.
Nope, no charging at all. It will just run down until it powers off, even using the cables others have recommended. Wondering if something is broken. Need to plug an adapter into the cigarette lighter outlet to charge.

I’m not sure that’s right. My car was made in 8/22 and will feed 36W to my iPad. I haven’t tried plugging things into the other ports to see if this declines, but mine isn’t limited to 27w.

1675527278479.jpeg

I’m not sure that’s right. My car was made in 8/22 and will feed 36W to my iPad. I haven’t tried plugging things into the other ports to see if this declines, but mine isn’t limited to 27w.

Im the OP. If you read my post at the top, you will see me alluding to this. I believe its easiest explained this way:
  • 2020 MY & early 2021: 15W max per port for the USB-A, 27W max per port for the USB-C (old console)
  • Late 2021: 27W max per port for all the 4 USB-C (new console)
  • 2022 - Current: 36W max per port for the 2 front USB-C, 27W max per port for the 2 rear USB-C

Assuming the 2022+ cars can provide 36W at the front, this means that Tesla added the 12V rail to USB-PD.

12V * 3A = 36W.

Now whether an iPad can use the 12V rail or not, I don't know. But even 15W should be enough to fast charge a single iPad.

Assuming the 2022+ cars can provide 36W at the front, this means that Tesla added the 12V rail to USB-PD.

12V * 3A = 36W.

Now whether an iPad can use the 12V rail or not, I don't know. But even 15W should be enough to fast charge a single iPad.
Thats a great point as the previous voltage was 5V and 9V.

FWIW.. I've charged iPad8 regular, iPad Mini 6 and iPad Pro 12.9" on all 4 of the USB-C 27W in my late-2021 MY

12V * 3A = 36W.

Maybe it depends on the iPad?

The photo is posted was plugged into my 12.9” iPad Pro. That iPad peaks at 40w, but I’ve never checked with an adapter showing voltage. My boys’ 4th-gen iPad Minis will only take 18w through their Lightning ports.

Is the power per port halved when both front ports or both rear ports are in use? What happens when charging 2 phones and 2 iPads or similar complement of 4 devices using the USB ports?
thats the million-dollar question!

Hoping someone can load up 4 devices and let us know what the power-sharing looks like between using both front ports.. both rear ports.. and all 4 ports simultaneously. I'd imagine most people buying the Model Y have a family of 3-5 passengers.. and all of these USB charging ports get regularly used. Often simultaneously.