Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power does your home draw overnight? (Baseline energy use)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got Powerwalls installed, so now the Tesla app shows me how much power my house is drawing. On a typical day, the house consumes about 18 kWh total (which I believe is below national average).

Overnight when everyone’s asleep, the house draws draws 0.4 ~ 0.5kW, so these always-on devices (refrigerator, wine fridge, Amazon Echo devices, smart bulbs, etc.) are consuming like 10 kWh a day. That’s more than half of the total consumption (18 kWh)! This study found idle average load of a house to be only 218 watts.

I’m curious what others see on their Tesla app’s Energy menu. How much does your house draw overnight? Thanks!

445A3D1A-317B-4016-B3DB-B184E94C5416.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Yep, my house draws around 700 watts overnight.

You should check out these threads.

Reactions: notsure11
Our home uses about 13 kWh per day. We have downsized into basically one room plus we use another room on occasion., and we open up more if we have company. There's no need to keep things over about 60, though if my wifey is over there for any amount of time, she kicks it up, but only for a short time. She does her exercises there, so it's not cold.

Our biggest expense is the gas furnace. That costs us about $250 a month. But in the summer the electric AC etc. (laundry, TV) the bill is about $50.

When we shut-down for the night our house is typically drawing about 500-600 watts..... 2 fridges, modem/router, a couple of C-Tek trickle chargers in the garage, fireplace insert fan, clock radio, USB phone chargers, and a few outside LED lights.

I recently got Powerwalls installed, so now the Tesla app shows me how much power my house is drawing. On a typical day, the house consumes about 18 kWh total (which I believe is below national average).

Overnight when everyone’s asleep, the house draws draws 0.4 ~ 0.5kW, so these always-on devices (refrigerator, wine fridge, Amazon Echo devices, smart bulbs, etc.) are consuming like 10 kWh a day. That’s more than half of the total consumption (18 kWh)! This study found idle average load of a house to be only 218 watts.

I’m curious what others see on their Tesla app’s Energy menu. How much does your house draw overnight? Thanks!

View attachment 771700
18 kWh total is pretty low. Do you have gas heat? I have heat pump for half of my house and gas for the other half. Electric oven, 2 frigs, one big wine frig and the typiical array of always on electronics, i.e., modem, routers, smart appliances, etc. We used 42 kWh yesterday and it was a warm day. Overnight, we use about 500 to 700 watts/hour. Lights on at night are LED

18 kWh total is pretty low. Do you have gas heat? I have heat pump for half of my house and gas for the other half. Electric oven, 2 frigs, one big wine frig and the typiical array of always on electronics, i.e., modem, routers, smart appliances, etc. We used 42 kWh yesterday and it was a warm day. Overnight, we use about 500 to 700 watts/hour. Lights on at night are LED
Yes, we have gas heat. Our clothes dryer also uses gas. But the oven is electric and that‘s what that peak is on the image (around 6pm).

Wow, with my heat pumps, and even been warm weather, I use about 80kwh per day. About 2.5kwh per hour during nights. Maybe keeping house in low 70's is bad. :) But, am still netting negative usage per day. Produced my first 71kwh yesterday, but with the weather changing, will go back to normal winter stuff. I just LOVE not have a gas bill!!

Reactions: outdoors

View attachment 771700
You didn't mention hot water. I have a setup to warm up the water in the early hours of the morning to get ready for showers. You see a spike there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220220-102500_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220220-102500_Tesla.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 73
You didn't mention hot water. I have a setup to warm up the water in the early hours of the morning to get ready for showers. You see a spike there.
I have a tankless water heater that uses gas, so I don’t think it uses much electricity. Although I think it does use electricity when it’s cold out to keep the heater from freezing (it’s mounted outside).

Reactions: DrGriz
Depends on the time of year. Averaging out 12 hours for no solar night time, probably about 600 watt hours. Eight hours of sleep time, about 400 watt hours. The turtle aquarium filter and heater, 2 refrigerators, use almost all of the electricity. Since the aquarium heater and refrigerators cycles on and off, if all happen to be off, usage at the time may drop below 200 watts (filter is 150 watts by itself.) If they are all on at the same time it can get to 600 watts.

Aside from the pool pump and AC, our daytime energy usage isn't much different since everything is gas. It is only when we have the TV or are using the washer, dishwasher, drier (even though it is gas, it still has a motor to spin it), computer (which uses more electricity than our OLED TV and 7.1 AV receiver combined), or microwave that causes are usage to really jump

Last edited:
When we shut-down for the night our house is typically drawing about 500-600 watts..... 2 fridges, modem/router, a couple of C-Tek trickle chargers in the garage, fireplace insert fan, clock radio, USB phone chargers, and a few outside LED lights.

This is roughly what my home uses per hour overnight as well, although its 500-700w.

Every home is unique though, so I find comparing daily electrical use with someone else in another similar to people trying to compare car insurance rates online. People always try to do that, and then are surprised when someone elses rates are a lot less (or a lot more) than theirs. Similar applies here, imo.

View attachment 771700
This helped me understand a lot.

My 5000sqft house base usage is about 22-24kwh per day or 1kw. About half of it is for a saltwater fish tank. The rest for 3 fridges, 2 air handlers running the fan alone 5min per hour to circulate air, and audio/video and internet equipment standby power usage. Typical usage on top of baseline is about 8kwh.

Currently solar is generating over 45kwh per day so still net positive. On winter solstice it generated 35kwh.

Our draw ranges between 0.6 kW and 3 kW from 10 PM to 7 AM this time of year. At 10 PM the thermostat temp drops. Around 5:30 AM a lot of systems come online like the thermostat up to 69F, floor heat in the main bathroom to 72F, and hot water recirculation pump starts.