Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power does your home draw overnight? (Baseline energy use)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We replace our older freezer, no auto defrost, to an auto defrost that is about 55% less power consumer along with a built-in fridge, electric oven, gas stove, dryer, water heating. We went on a 2 mo. trip to AZ. House usage was hovering about 7kWh a day, no one home.
Now that we are home, we still use about 0.3kWh to 0.5kWh after we go to bed until about 7 AM.

I recently got Powerwalls installed, so now the Tesla app shows me how much power my house is drawing. On a typical day, the house consumes about 18 kWh total (which I believe is below national average).

Overnight when everyone’s asleep, the house draws draws 0.4 ~ 0.5kW, so these always-on devices (refrigerator, wine fridge, Amazon Echo devices, smart bulbs, etc.) are consuming like 10 kWh a day. That’s more than half of the total consumption (18 kWh)! This study found idle average load of a house to be only 218 watts.

I’m curious what others see on their Tesla app’s Energy menu. How much does your house draw overnight? Thanks!

View attachment 771700
Well, don't forget that your Powerwall itself uses 0.12-0.3kWh. Our baseline was 0.2-0.3kWh pre-powerwalls, and now it is 0.4-0.6kWh.

If you have an older fridge/freezer, they can use a lot of power. Why not get a Kill-A-Watt and check out your home appliances?

All the best,

BG

Reactions: charlesj
The fridge consumption is nothing compared to the bitcoin mining rig... ;)

Just joking, my consumption is about 600-700 Watts per hour at night. My POE security camera system actually consumes a significant fraction of that.
But you are right about that mining operation. My son in AZ was in it for a while with a friend. The power cables they used were 3 fingers in a triangle size, perhaps 6ga. They rented a commercial space for it.

This time of year with no AC or pond pumps running (mostly gas heat/HW) we are using around .9-1.2kW overnight. We have a larger home with 3 fridge/freezers, pond aeration that runs 24/7, turtle tank with heater and filter, wine cellar plus all the parasites, so I guess we are a bit higher than most. But I have gone as efficient as I can everywhere to really keep our annual usage low for our size house.

This time of year with no AC or pond pumps running (mostly gas heat/HW) we are using around .9-1.2kW overnight. We have a larger home with 3 fridge/freezers, pond aeration that runs 24/7, turtle tank with heater and filter, wine cellar plus all the parasites, so I guess we are a bit higher than most. But I have gone as efficient as I can everywhere to really keep our annual usage low for our size house.
That's a lot more than a bit higher. This is many times higher

Since I have seen a number of posts in the .6-.9 range I wouldn't say that's many times times...
That is many times for them too. The US household average is 600 watts per hour for the whole day per 3 people per household. Night time is less than that. This includes households with electrical appliances. Those with gas, such as yourself average even less. And this is total average use, not baseline average use (which is even less.) So yes, 1 kw per hour at night is many times higher than the average gas appliance person

Last edited:
That is many times for them too. The US household average is 600 watts per hour for the whole day per 3 people per household. Night time is less than that. This includes households with electrical appliances. Those with gas, such as yourself average even less. So yes, 1 kw per hour at night is many times higher than the average gas appliance person
I'm not sure how they calc those numbers- do they include apartments etc. 600 watts is nothing, even my lake house where we spend 6-9 days a month at uses more than twice that. And that's with most everything shut off for a while. When I used to get my annual energy audit before we went to solar we would usually be in the low end of the range for 3000+ft houses (I'm at 4700ft)...

I'm not sure how they calc those numbers- do they include apartments etc. 600 watts is nothing, even my lake house where we spend 6-9 days a month at uses more than twice that. And that's with most everything shut off for a while. When I used to get my annual energy audit before we went to solar we would usually be in the low end of the range for 3000+ft houses (I'm at 4700ft)...
It is based on the average annual use of electricity per 3 person household (all households from small apartments to large house) of electricity only at 6,000 kWh.

6,000/365 = 16.6 kWh per day
16.6/24 = 680 watts per hour for the whole day. This is for everything that uses electricity all day long. Base use (no appliances) especially at night is even less per hour.

Even if you have a large house, baseline use at night shouldn't more than what is used in a small apartment for the average person since not much more is being used at night. Remember that baseline doesn't include appliances, such as heating and cooling.

Anecdotally. we have a pool and a turtle aquarium in a 2,000 sqft house. We average about 16 kWh per day of use

Attachments

• 435D71F3-93B0-45EF-9D4B-8EED2F1CD928.png
    435D71F3-93B0-45EF-9D4B-8EED2F1CD928.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 508
  • 96377CBC-C358-4157-9257-9CD5729C20B3.png
    96377CBC-C358-4157-9257-9CD5729C20B3.png
    241 KB · Views: 122
  • FBAE455D-6BFF-4E1A-9D71-A026753698F9.png
    FBAE455D-6BFF-4E1A-9D71-A026753698F9.png
    237.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 64656283-A917-4F43-9360-0E198D0A9A05.png
    64656283-A917-4F43-9360-0E198D0A9A05.png
    237.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
It is based on the average annual use of electricity per 3 person household (all households from small apartments to large house) of electricity only at 6,000 kWh.

6,000/365 = 16.6 kWh per day
16.6/24 = 680 watts per hour for the whole day. This is for everything that uses electricity all day long. Base use (no appliances) especially at night is even less per hour.

Even if you have a large house, baseline use at night shouldn't more than what is used in a small apartment for the average person since not much more is being used at night. Remember that baseline doesn't include appliances, such as heating and cooling.
I've never heard of someone locally using so little electricity. And average day of using 6 100 watt light bulbs...

1) Who still uses 100 watt bulbs? LED's use about 2 to 10 watts total per hour
2) You don't have bulb on all day long; just a few hours during the evening and maybe in the morning
You listen terribly. I never said anyone uses 6 100 watt bulbs. It's an equivalent. Anyways I'm done, sleepy well knowing I used less energy pre solar than the average home in my area and virtually zero now...

Reactions: skepticcyclist
Anyways I'm done, sleepy well knowing I used less energy pre solar than the average home in my area and virtually zero now...
Let me appo;ogize. I did not mean to sound like I am chastise you for how much you use, especially since you are generating your own electricity. It is understandable that someone who has all the equipment you mentioned will use more electricity; just was someone with EVs will use a lot more as well. I was only pointing out that it is a lot more than the average person.

Reactions: Laketime