Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power does your home draw overnight? (Baseline energy use)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOthing compared to have heat pumps for winter heating
We have heat pumps out our lake house- 4 tons total and man are they super efficient. I run them down to 20 degrees and my winter bill is usually under $150 with electric HW and everything else. I love it, and the new inverter based systems are so quiet too.

We also have a 1 ton heat pump in our main home that runs a gym and atrium and it too uses almost no energy. Before we had solar I could run the entire house and it (but no pool or main AC) off of a 4k generator with no sweat. It was funny because the biggest drag was the coffee maker and microwave.

9C55DDDA-4F0D-4F37-A84A-8BE28023B443.jpeg

A lot of car charging overnight. We have gas heat so I have a feeling we are going to be in the 30+ kw range in summer with ac load. My off peak rate is $0.0 which is why we load shift everything.

Small home in santa cruz, ca. Gas stove, heat, water heater.

Full day usage
No one home ~9kWh used.
Typical day: 12 kWh.
Laundry day (electric) 20 kWh.

Idle draw (night) .3 kW

I have a 4 kW system and a single PW, which (as of February) is actually overproducing/keeping me off grid except for laundry day :D System came online in November so I haven't seen summer production yet.

Reactions: darhall993
Single Family home.
.6kW to .8kW at night. I think this is too high, still trying to work out what is adding up to this.
WiFi/Network and TV stuff only add up to about 300 Watts, fridge should be mostly idling at night.
I want to get an energy monitor system that does multiple circuits, but it's tricky. The main panel is outside, I tried doing a Z-Wave one before and the signal just couldn't get out. There's very little room in there, so it would need a plastic weatherproof box connected via conduit.
This panel already has 2 sets of CTs on the main feed, no room to add any more there for an "AI" monitoring system.

Single Family home.
.6kW to .8kW at night. I think this is too high, still trying to work out what is adding up to this.
WiFi/Network and TV stuff only add up to about 300 Watts, fridge should be mostly idling at night.
I want to get an energy monitor system that does multiple circuits, but it's tricky. The main panel is outside, I tried doing a Z-Wave one before and the signal just couldn't get out. There's very little room in there, so it would need a plastic weatherproof box connected via conduit.
This panel already has 2 sets of CTs on the main feed, no room to add any more there for an "AI" monitoring system.
Could always get one of these and systematically check the plugged in items. I just picked up a few to confirm my larger power draws (non-hardwired stuff or big appliances that I don't feel like moving).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LN3C7WK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4,000 sq/ft single family home. I am consistently 1.1kW - 1.3 kW all the time for a base load, 24/7/365.

Some of my larger draws.
  • Network/computer racks - 450-500watts
  • Refrigerators/Freezers - 5 in total (1 full size refrigerator, 1 full size freezer, and 3 medium sized beverage/bar refrigerators)
  • VFD pool pump during spring/summer/fall - runs 24/7 at about 150 watts
  • Tons of small vampire draws - access points, network switches, smark plugs/switches, landscaping/outdoor lights (all LED), TV's, computers, electronic chargers, etc. etc. etc.
RC

Single Family home.
I understand that a multi circuit meter would be good, that Kill-A-Watt meter works great but slower.

You mentioned wi-fi/network as 300W. Is that for the whole night or per hour? Have posted before, my wi-fi and modem is about 60Wh so it is off for 8 hours each night by timers. Small think but they are small items and over a year, 175kWh.

The 300Watt is per hour, that's what I've added up using a Kilawatt and UPS front panel load meter. So the remainder is on circuits that I can't easily measure individually (e.g. 240V air handler, fridge socket behind fridge).

I have a large steady load of about 150 Watts in that from my AudioVideo rack that includes one server for security cameras, one computer for TV recording (24 hrs). I've optimized that as much as possible without purchasing entire new computers.

One surprising number from that rack is that the UPS draws 10 watts on its own doing nothing. That's $1.50 / month, but those computers do need protecting during a Powerwall switch over.
I even downgraded from a Unifi 8 port switch (7W) to a dumb Trendnet gigabit switch (2.5W) in that stack.

The 300Watt is per hour, that's what I've added up using a Kilawatt and UPS front panel load meter. So the remainder is on circuits that I can't easily measure individually (e.g. 240V air handler, fridge socket behind fridge).

I have a large steady load of about 150 Watts in that from my AudioVideo rack that includes one server for security cameras, one computer for TV recording (24 hrs). I've optimized that as much as possible without purchasing entire new computers.

One surprising number from that rack is that the UPS draws 10 watts on its own doing nothing. That's $1.50 / month, but those computers do need protecting during a Powerwall switch over.
I even downgraded from a Unifi 8 port switch (7W) to a dumb Trendnet gigabit switch (2.5W) in that stack.
That computer for tv recording, is that recording all day or just certain known times. I have Tivo to record but on known days and hours. I have a timer on that setup just for the Tivo, 24 hrs x 30Wh, adds up as I record only between 7:30PM to 11PM. allowing for bootup.

4,000 sq/ft single family home. I am consistently 1.1kW - 1.3 kW all the time for a base load, 24/7/365.

Some of my larger draws.
  • Network/computer racks - 450-500watts
  • Refrigerators/Freezers - 5 in total (1 full size refrigerator, 1 full size freezer, and 3 medium sized beverage/bar refrigerators)
  • VFD pool pump during spring/summer/fall - runs 24/7 at about 150 watts
  • Tons of small vampire draws - access points, network switches, smark plugs/switches, landscaping/outdoor lights (all LED), TV's, computers, electronic chargers, etc. etc. etc.
RC
Now I do not feel so alone …my electrical doppleganger

This is a pretty typical winter/spring/fall day for me. EV charging overnight. Baseline dead of night house draw is ~500-800 watts if no cars are charging. Someone is almost always home during the day so it’s higher than baseline. The regularly spaced ~5kw spikes are my hot tub heater.

5AECAF7F-54D5-47E0-B6FC-E057C60B9D6A.jpeg

That computer for tv recording, is that recording all day or just certain known times. I have Tivo to record but on known days and hours. I have a timer on that setup just for the Tivo, 24 hrs x 30Wh, adds up as I record only between 7:30PM to 11PM. allowing for bootup.
Yeah, this is a non-negotiable for my wife, we've been running Win 7 Windows Media Center with a cable card for 15+ years, her programs are scattered throughout the day.
We had a Tivo in the early days, could be a possibility to go back.

Reactions: charlesj
Yeah, this is a non-negotiable for my wife, we've been running Win 7 Windows Media Center with a cable card for 15+ years, her programs are scattered throughout the day.
We had a Tivo in the early days, could be a possibility to go back.
YouTube TV with unlimited DVR and an Amazon Fire or Google Chromecast dongle and all nearly all of the power consumption is in the cloud and no need to worry about conflicting times and the number of tuners.

This is a pretty typical winter/spring/fall day for me. EV charging overnight. Baseline dead of night house draw is ~500-800 watts if no cars are charging. Someone is almost always home during the day so it’s higher than baseline. The regularly spaced ~5kw spikes are my hot tub heater.

View attachment 778125
What do you estimate the hot tub usage is per day? I count 17 spikes there, so if they are e.g. 15 mins each, that >20kWh per day.

YouTube TV with unlimited DVR and an Amazon Fire or Google Chromecast dongle and all nearly all of the power consumption is in the cloud and no need to worry about conflicting times and the number of tuners.
90% of what we watch is on an international subscription channel that is only available on cable or directtv (tvjapan.net). Maybe one day that company will do a streaming tier, but no idea when.