Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power does your home draw overnight? (Baseline energy use)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
90% of what we watch is on an international subscription channel that is only available on cable or directtv (tvjapan.net). Maybe one day that company will do a streaming tier, but no idea when.
Interesting, a bit surprised that they don't have a streaming service. Since your profile says that you are in Los Angeles, I did see when search on their website that there is an IPTV option if you have Frontier internet (not that I would wish that ISP on anyone).

Interesting, a bit surprised that they don't have a streaming service. Since your profile says that you are in Los Angeles, I did see when search on their website that there is an IPTV option if you have Frontier internet (not that I would wish that ISP on anyone).
They haven't updated that page in years. We're on Frontier fiber (used to be Verizon FiOS), but it's just plain Cable as far as premium channels are concerned.
JapanTV took years to switch from SD to HD as well. The signal is transmitted from Japan to USA via Satellite, but that doesn't rule out them feeding it into some streaming provider US side.
They do have a streaming library for an additional $10/month, but that only gives you the back catalog of non-news stuff.

Maybe another year or two before they update. They probably have some multi-year exclusivity contract with the cable providers.

Getting ready to jump into solar and battery back up. Annually our 1800 Sq ft home near St Louis uses about 12,000 kWH a year or about 33 kWH per day. My system is calculated to generate about 14,000 kWH per year. What I need to know how many Power Walls do I need to run my AC at night (probably 7pm to 7am). We keep the house at 75F but during an outage we‘d probably bump that up to 76 or 77F. I‘m having a Soft Start device installed on my 3-ton AC. Could one Power Wall power our home during at outage in the summer.

Getting ready to jump into solar and battery back up. Annually our 1800 Sq ft home near St Louis uses about 12,000 kWH a year or about 33 kWH per day. My system is calculated to generate about 14,000 kWH per year. What I need to know how many Power Walls do I need to run my AC at night (probably 7pm to 7am). We keep the house at 75F but during an outage we‘d probably bump that up to 76 or 77F. I‘m having a Soft Start device installed on my 3-ton AC. Could one Power Wall power our home during at outage in the summer.
TL;DR Unlikely.

Even the annual average suggests that you would use 16.5kWh overnight. That is more than a Powerwall. I would dig in a bit deeper and look at your bills for July and August the last few years and see how much power you were using per day then. My bet would be much more than 33kWh/day. Our utility can give us data down to the day and that can be helpful.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: TomServo
A 3 ton A/C based on 18 amps would use a little over 4KW per hour. That is about what mine uses. So just the A/C alone would deplete the PowerWall in just over 3 hours, never mind the rest of the house on top of that. I have two Powerwalls, but also 2 A/C units and although I can run both in an outage (I have Soft starts on both) I usually only run the smaller (upstairs) unit.

One Powerwall can be a pretty big compromise and may require doing some rewiring. The issues are you often have to segregate the household loads to ensure they do not exceed the capacity of a single Powerwall (7kW peak, 5 kW continuous). So big consumers like AC, Dryers, etc. need to get placed on a separate breaker box which is not backed up by the Powerwall. And the low current devices on another. This can be rather expensive.

When I looked at doing this for my home, adding a second Powerwall which doubled capacity was the same or less cost, plus we got the added 14 kWh storage capacity. Our system does start our 4-ton AC with the soft start device.

Thanks for the advice, our system was commissioned on Sept 20th and I received my PTO the next day. We are learning a lot based on the Enphase app on how much each appliance uses. Am surprised to see so little usage over night. Usually about 300 watts per hour that I contacted my installer to verify my CTs are working correctly. Seeing about 1.8 kWh used from mid-night to 6 am is an eye opener. But then it’s fall in the mid-west and the AC isn’t running. But we have another year to collect data and live with our grid-tied system before we have to make a decision. Cheers

Reactions: DrGriz
Thanks for the advice, our system was commissioned on Sept 20th and I received my PTO the next day. We are learning a lot based on the Enphase app on how much each appliance uses. Am surprised to see so little usage over night. Usually about 300 watts per hour that I contacted my installer to verify my CTs are working correctly. Seeing about 1.8 kWh used from mid-night to 6 am is an eye opener. But then it’s fall in the mid-west and the AC isn’t running. But we have another year to collect data and live with our grid-tied system before we have to make a decision. Cheers
Congratulations on PTO!

So did you stay with a one Powerwall system?

Over a decade of regular modifications our 15,000 sq ft house in Rio de Janeiro draws average 20 kWh at night, around 100 kwh during the day. Over a year we average 50 kWh per day billed. Those numbers are so low that we regularly have audits, a minor inconvenience. The major power draws are our wine cellar, refrigerators and swimming pool.

We have solar hot water, regular updates to keep energy efficient otherwise but the biggest benefit is a complete redesign that eliminated air conditioning. We're told we have the only non-air conditioned house in our area.

We have just bought another house nearby that now has plans to complete total off-grid and use only captured water. That one is presently being assessed to use a geothermal heat pump to reduce discomfort even more than we have now.

Since Tesla is now executing on plans to enter Chile we expect them in Brazil soon too, so can dispose of our Volvo Recharge in favor of a Tesla, as we have in the US. We also have a Microlino on order for local transport.

FWIW, since having a 100% solar powered off-grid island in the Bahamas in 1990's we're thrilled that the prices have dropped just as the maintenance needs have too. Luckily the solar panels, storage batteries and ancillary equipment aar all made here in Brazil, almost entirely by Chinese companies.

I wish we could have Powerwalls and TE VPP, but, alas, not likely soon. Anyway BYD, CATL and all the big solar panel makers are here with excellent products and good prices.

FWIW, that new house was paid for entirely by insanely appreciated TSLA shares, the proceeds of which arrived today just in time for the closing.

HODL it really pays well!

My overnight "dead-load" is about 250 Watts for a 3,000 square foot home.

I've been pretty aggressive about going after vampire loads, so just modem/router/camera, outside lights (LED of course), and surprising number of itty-bitty loads that add up such as smart thermostat, garage door opener, and solar inverter. Also have radon fan running 7x24 that pulls a continuous 70 Watts. There is a "cyclic" load of almost an hour duration that shows up every night and adds another 100 Watts - 99% certain this is the fridge.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz