Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much power drains while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does vary greatly, largely because of what options you choose to enable while the car is parked. I routinely leave my SR+ parked for 5-6 days between uses. I see an average of 1-2 miles of loss per day. I keep sentry mode and cabin overheat protection off. 2-3 miles per day is typical from most posts on here.

Reactions: mswlogo
I lose about 1-2 mi/hr with Sentry Mode on.
If I don't have Sentry Mode on (say overnight ~11-12 hrs), I lose 1-2 mi in that entire timespan.
I haven't had to park for multiple days without driving, I only imagine this scenario if I'm at the airport. Even then, it would probably take a week+ to fully drain itself.

Here's a general breakdown from my experience with having my car parked over a couple of days and variety of scenarios.
(Also keep in mind there are different factors that will attribute to the power drain)

• Parked overnight without checking the Tesla app (expect 1-3 mile drain or 1%)
• Parked overnight outside with varying temperatures (expect 2-5 mile drain or 2% depending on weather) - Usage to cool or warm battery
• Parked with Sentry mode on (expect 1 mile drain per hour + varying temperature may increase drain)

Hope this helps! The best practice is to always have your Tesla plugged in if possible when not in use.

So it's possible to lose 96-192+ miles parked for 4 days if you have Sentry Mode on? Sounds crazy.

I believe it will turn off (sentry mode) when you hit 20% battery but have not tested that (and may be mis remembering it).

But, yes... sentry mode currently drains around a mile an hour or so. Its important to keep that in mind when people want to enable it all the time, etc.

I believe it will turn off (sentry mode) when you hit 20% battery but have not tested that (and may be mis remembering it).

But, yes... sentry mode currently drains around a mile an hour or so. Its important to keep that in mind when people want to enable it all the time, etc.

Correct features like Sentry Mode, Cabin Overheat, Dog Mode will not work when you have less than 20% battery left.

hi.
New 3 awd Lr dual motor
What do you notice being lost when parked over several days?
Can the battery totally die after how long?
Usually 1 mile per hour, I turned off both cooling, Sentry mode, TeslaCam and the big one is Databanks share. I don’t have any loss now.
I recently found a 10 mile loss after a drive to work with Lane Departure Avoidance (Assist) on, so I turned that off as well.

Fred

+1
Here's a general breakdown from my experience with having my car parked over a couple of days and variety of scenarios.
(Also keep in mind there are different factors that will attribute to the power drain)

• Parked overnight without checking the Tesla app (expect 1-3 mile drain or 1%)
• Parked overnight outside with varying temperatures (expect 2-5 mile drain or 2% depending on weather) - Usage to cool or warm battery
• Parked with Sentry mode on (expect 1 mile drain per hour + varying temperature may increase drain)

Hope this helps! The best practice is to always have your Tesla plugged in if possible when not in use.

Great feedback, Tesla FAM! Thank you...i was losing some serious miles due to the combo of heat + sentry mode ON + other settings I still have to check on (data sharing + overhead cabin heating) ...good to know! Yesterday I lost around 10 miles and the day before was almost 30 miles! I have some sunshades on order but it will definitely be getting hotter here in Sacramento CA before we know it :)

Great feedback, Tesla FAM! Thank you...i was losing some serious miles due to the combo of heat + sentry mode ON + other settings I still have to check on (data sharing + overhead cabin heating) ...good to know! Yesterday I lost around 10 miles and the day before was almost 30 miles! I have some sunshades on order but it will definitely be getting hotter here in Sacramento CA before we know it :)

The Cabin Overheat Protection will drain a fair amount if you are parked outside in the heat. I didn't realize this was on by default and I was losing 10+ miles per day while parked. Turned it off and only lose 1-2 miles per day.

• Informative
Reactions: Jazz_MIII
Supposedly on the current update, sentry mode has the added option to turn on at all times except for designated areas such as home or work. That will be a great feature for me. I want it on always when running errands, going to the gym, etc. But I must remember to turn it off in some scenarios such as very long term parking.

Is cabin overheat protection necessary if you leave it outside? I plan to leave mine for 6-8 weeks at a time.

No, I don't use it and I park exclusively outside. My understanding it was designed to protect things within the car (accidentally leaving pet or child in the car, for example, or having perishables in the car) and not the car itself. I do keep my Model 3 covered when I have it parked at home, which helps to keep it cooler (but mostly serves to keep tree debris and bird excrement off it).
IMG_4231.jpg

I’m leaving cabin overheat protection on. I charge at home anyways. I have solar to offset my bill. And I want the cars sensitive electronics in a not too hot temperature. Our glass roof seem to make our cabins like a greenhouse.

I am pretty sure the electronics are designed to withstand wide ranges of heat and cold. We could debate whether it is helpful to be turning your AC on and off all day while the car is parked with no one in it.