Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much PPF did you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you DIY, with kits, try some easy flattish prices first, then progressively harder. I did the hood first, extremely easy even with wrapped edges. Then the doors, relatively flat, but quite large pieces for the front doors, a 2nd person to help would be nice. The rockers are in an odd spot but fairly easy, but also could use another hand or two. The fenders are more curvy, but not too difficult. After all that, the front bumper is insanely difficult. You need another person to help with the stretching. And extreme patience To press down all the fingers created near the front edge of the hood. If you can get a pro to do just that one piece, the others are very DIY -doable.

I applaud anyone who can DIY. I pay for it and the results show. OCDetailing was not cheap, but they are really really really good. And they stand by their work.

17A693D4-188D-431A-8C45-D6AA0C229BB0.jpeg

Just did a check. One example is $249 for the pair. Incredibly cheap.
Only ones I’ve seen that cheap are the ones listed as New(other) or just New, usually by single_mom_store where the picture is of one that has been mounted in a vehicle, the description says you get the exact lights that are in the picture (and they may have scratches from storage), and every single model 3 headlight that user has up for sale uses the same picture but prices range widely. Just seems odd. In any case, if ordering, just be careful to check that the lens has never been restored...made that mistake on my Tahoe and 6 months later spent several days trying to sand out a clear coat that was no longer clear...eventually just tossed them and ordered a new set.

Don’t have PPF, and I’m at about 1500 miles on the car. Just got my first two chips. 1) on the windshield and 2) on the pillar next to the windshield. Some idiot swerved into the shoulder in a construction zone and stirred up all kinds of crap. Oddly enough, front bumper and hood are just fine. So I’d say if you are going to get partial PPF, don’t forget the A-pillars up front.

Tim

Last edited:
Don’t have PPF, and I’m at about 1500 miles on the car. Just got my first two chips. 1) on the windshield and 2) on the pillar next to the windshield. Some idiot swerved into the shoulder in a construction zone and stirred up all kinds of crap. Oddly enough, front bumper and hood are just fine. So I’d say if you are going to get partial PPF, don’t forget the pillars up front.

Tim
When I was PPF'ing my rocker panels myself. I figured I'd try my hand at the A-pillars. Was turning out great but once I got to the top of the pillar, I started thinking about the seam that was close to eye-level. Didn't like that idea so I just ripped it off.

Today I did the last component on my first pass at completely PPF wrapping my car: the rear bumper.

After all the pain and suffering of wrapping the hood, front bumper, doors, rocker panels, trunk... looks like I've finally learned enough to do an A- level install. Nearly perfect! I'm glad i'm not a complete dunce and all that suffering and learning paid off (finally)

Only problem is that I learned on the "easy" components of the hood and doors and I'm going to have to re-do those.

I think PPF makes sense for people who are time rich, money poor, and don't mind the pain and suffering of learning a new skill. That being said, I've already poured 20 hours into this in the garage, untold time watching videos on Youtube and reading about it, and 800 in raw materials the first time around.

Just spent another $400 in bulk film, and I'm going to re-do the hood, doors, trunk. Maybe the front bumper too, but will def get a pre-cut one again for that.

I went with the front bumper and my rockers and areas around my wheels on my white Y. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gotten the hood done also, but at the time this just seemed like the best use of the money. I didn't want to break the bank. They did a good job, but again wondering if I messed up not going for the hood. All well, I guess I can always revisit it one day if it seems to be getting bad.

I went with the front bumper and my rockers and areas around my wheels on my white Y. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gotten the hood done also, but at the time this just seemed like the best use of the money. I didn't want to break the bank. They did a good job, but again wondering if I messed up not going for the hood. All well, I guess I can always revisit it one day if it seems to be getting bad.
I would definitely get the hood done. It will definitely get rock chips and other scratches over time. My hood PPF already got damaged by a bouncing piece of rock or concrete that flew off a truck. I believe the debris actually barely made it through the PPF and scratched the paint, but it's extremely minor. It was a very hard hit, though, and if the PPF hadn't been there, it would've been a very bad chip. The same debris hit my windshield after bouncing off the PPF'ed hood. The windshield cracked from the impact and had to be replaced.

I would definitely get the hood done. It will definitely get rock chips and other scratches over time. My hood PPF already got damaged by a bouncing piece of rock or concrete that flew off a truck. I believe the debris actually barely made it through the PPF and scratched the paint, but it's extremely minor. It was a very hard hit, though, and if the PPF hadn't been there, it would've been a very bad chip. The same debris hit my windshield after bouncing off the PPF'ed hood. The windshield cracked from the impact and had to be replaced.

Thanks, yea I spoke to my detailer, I can go back and get it done at some point. I just had a super expensive couple months (buying second home), and while I have the money I wanted to keep this to a minimum. But yea I am SO paranoid lol. Even down here in texas, you still run into these work zones with *sugar* flying everywhere. Actually the area right to the left of the hood already got dinged, this guy was able to polish most of it out but sucks.

I paid a lot to have my M3 fully wrapped. But with the harsh winters and excessive pea gravel on the roads, I feel much better about it. My previous cars have all gotten sizeable chips on the front, side, and hell even the back from other cars whipping stones up while driving by when I'm parked. I've heard impacts already but nothing is noticeable. I'm happy.

Reactions: MaxwellN22
I paid a lot to have my M3 fully wrapped. But with the harsh winters and excessive pea gravel on the roads, I feel much better about it. My previous cars have all gotten sizeable chips on the front, side, and hell even the back from other cars whipping stones up while driving by when I'm parked. I've heard impacts already but nothing is noticeable. I'm happy.
I grew up in the north east and the door rockers on my car looked sandblasted lol, good move

Reactions: MapledLeif
Is it just me, or are PPF prices coming down? A good thing, and totally expected, considering the cars that my local XPEL installers drive & the hours they work. I think a number of years ago getting a full wrap was $7K+ and yes all wrap quality is not equal, but prices seem to be coming down to more reasonable levels.

For me, it's worth it, but I'm cheap, so I DIY'd all the "easier" high-wear areas - full hood, full fenders, A-pillars, door mirrors (NOT easy), full rocker panels, and door bottoms. I paid professionals to do the front bumper since there's considerable risk & I wanted it absolutely perfect - even they had to throw a way a few before they got a method down for the Model 3. They threw in the headlights, fog lights, behind the rear wheels, and rear bumper applique for "free."

Now I don't get pissed when I'm driving down the highway & *sugar*'s flying all over the place. Car won't be looking like crap in a few years.
How difficult is it to DIY?