Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much PPF did you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get precut pieces or did you cut them yourself too? How difficult is it to do? Thinking about doing the same.
Pre-cut DIY from invisiblemask.com. I started with the easy flat pieces, first. The hood/fender/cups come as a package. Fender is a bit curvy. Mirror cups are as hard as doing the front bumper. Doors are flattish, but large, so get an extra hand to help. Rockers are fairly easy, but the position is awkward, I put my car up on ramps. Plus, they're long, so you need another hand to help. Front bumper was insanely hard, and something I'd take to a pro.
Screenshot 2020-06-11 12.52.23.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-cut DIY from invisiblemask.com. I started with the easy flat pieces, first. The hood/fender/cups come as a package. Fender is a bit curvy. Mirror cups are as hard as doing the front bumper. Doors are flattish, but large, so get an extra hand to help. Rockers are fairly easy, but the position is awkward, I put my car up on ramps. Plus, they're long, so you need another hand to help. Front bumper was insanely hard, and something I'd take to a pro.View attachment 692477

I did the bumper myself also. The secret is really to just keep it soapy and do it on a warm day. You have to stretch the bumper ppf a lot. I worried too much about bubbles. It turns out they disappear in a couple weeks on their own anyway so I regret pulling up some spots. The fingers on top I used heat and took forever to get down still

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Some bubbles are large enough to create a "gap" in the film & never really go away. Definitely takes experience - bulk rolls are lower risk. Bumpers etc… take it to a professional. This is coming from a stubborn asshole who DIYs as much as reasonably possible.

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
I paid a lot to have my M3 fully wrapped. But with the harsh winters and excessive pea gravel on the roads, I feel much better about it. My previous cars have all gotten sizeable chips on the front, side, and hell even the back from other cars whipping stones up while driving by when I'm parked. I've heard impacts already but nothing is noticeable. I'm happy.
That wrap looks awesome. Any more pics?

Some bubbles are large enough to create a "gap" in the film & never really go away. Definitely takes experience - bulk rolls are lower risk. Bumpers etc… take it to a professional. This is coming from a stubborn asshole who DIYs as much as reasonably possible.
Yeah, as someone who DIYed, definitely the bumpers are the biggest pain in the butt (was wishing I took it to the pros as I was doing it). The part on the front bumper near the frunk shown in the picture below was the biggest pain (took forever to get those fingers out):
Pre-cut DIY from invisiblemask.com. I started with the easy flat pieces, first. The hood/fender/cups come as a package. Fender is a bit curvy. Mirror cups are as hard as doing the front bumper. Doors are flattish, but large, so get an extra hand to help. Rockers are fairly easy, but the position is awkward, I put my car up on ramps. Plus, they're long, so you need another hand to help. Front bumper was insanely hard, and something I'd take to a pro.View attachment 692477
As for using bulk rolls, I did it mainly for costs and also because it gave a margin of error (a lot of areas you don't have to stretch, unlike with precut). The negative of bulk is you don't really have a point of reference (the precuts you can line up with the parking sensors and other cut out shapes), so you don't know if the way you are laying it on is going to work out. I screwed up the trunk that way (will have to do two piece with a seam along the "spoiler" as like some precuts).

For people considering DIY and bulk, the hood is the easiest one. The doors are also relatively easy.

You put your car up as the prize?!?
Oh heck no! LOL ... but it may have appeared that way. We had a Model Y there on display as well (the local Tesla dealer gave us the car for the day). Basically the prize was $70,000 toward the purchase of a Tesla, and so the cars were just there to showcase a little of what you could get. Personally, if I had won the prize, I would have put the $70K toward going Plaid!!

• Informative
i attempted (for 4+ hours) to PPF the front bumper last night myself using a DIY kit. I too am a "DIY'er" and this was one heck of a challenge. Bubble, wrinkles, "fingers" everywhere. But whatever... gonna keep it on for a bit since i have a road trip coming up soon and it'll at least provide some protection. Hood was a piece of cake tho.. LOL

• Funny
i attempted (for 4+ hours) to PPF the front bumper last night myself using a DIY kit. I too am a "DIY'er" and this was one heck of a challenge. Bubble, wrinkles, "fingers" everywhere. But whatever... gonna keep it on for a bit since i have a road trip coming up soon and it'll at least provide some protection. Hood was a piece of cake tho.. LOL

Bumper is hard. You need to keep it really soapy to stretch. Don't mess with the bubbles nearly all of them will dissolve after a few weeks. I made some mistakes on the bumper but it still looks good and works. I will do it again some day and I still saved a ton of money.

I just got my new MY in red and it is presently at the shop getting a full PPF wrap and ceramic coating. Total cost out the door is $6500. Sounds like a lot but I do plan to keep the car for a long time.
For those of you who opted to get PPF installed, I'm curious how much of your Model 3 that you opted to protect?

I take delivery in 2-4 weeks, and I'm looking at having the following surfaces done. This will run me about $1,300.
  • Full Hood
  • Front Bumper
  • Headlights
  • Partial fenders
  • Side view mirrors
  • Door cups
  • Door edges
  • Rear bumper top (I'm a golfer, and I always scuff the top of the rear bumper getting my clubs out)
I'm also considering having the door sills done, but at $320, it might be excessive. Might be better to have the a-pillars and roofline done for about the same cost.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: freeAgent
I just got my new MY in red and it is presently at the shop getting a full PPF wrap and ceramic coating. Total cost out the door is $6500. Sounds like a lot but I do plan to keep the car for a long time.
I don't think you'll regret it. It's nice knowing that my car is fully wrapped and I don't have to worry about most of the nicks and scrapes that add up over time, or be too concerned about bugs and bird poop degrading the paint. They still impact the wrap, but that's a lot easier to replace than paint if it comes to that.

I have it covering the entire front. Previous owner did it. There are a couple of bubbles but regardless it sucks imho. It’s like when your parents covered the sofa in plastic. You get a chip touch it up or get it repaired.

I have it covering the entire front. Previous owner did it. There are a couple of bubbles but regardless it sucks imho. It’s like when your parents covered the sofa in plastic. You get a chip touch it up or get it repaired.
My last car looked like it was sandblasted after 4 years of highway driving and as flat as the 3s front is I can only imagine how bad it would get.
I am debating it on my next 3 tho since I now mostly WFH.