Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much quieter is Y than 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard anecdotal stories about the Model Y being quieter inside (i.e. less road noise) than the Model 3. Can anyone who has owned both share their experience?

I've been talking with my wife about getting a second Tesla. She's on board for a Cybertruck (and we actually reserved a tri-motor last weekend), but that's probably a minimum of 2 years away given the estimated production dates and large number of reservations. I'd really like to do something sooner than that.

She currently drives a Mercedes GLE43 SUV and loves it. We know the Y interior isn't leather like her current vehicle, and Tesla lacks the overall "premium" or plush feel of her Mercedes. Personally I feel that even with different materials, the Model 3 is more comfortable...I really dislike the interior and overall driving experience of her car any more. But that's just me.

Her primary concern with my Model 3 is the road noise. My car is significantly louder than hers on the highway (especially over rougher patches of pavement), and the majority of it is road noise. I have the Performance 3 with the 20" PS4S tires. I am looking at a LR AWD (non-performance) Y for her, so I'd hope that there's at least a little bit of difference in noise between 20" performance summer on the 3 and 19" all-season on the AWD Y.

Looking for any feedback regarding road noise, but I'd be particularly interested in comparisons between 3 and Y, and between Y and a luxury brand SUV like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. Anyone care to share?

Last edited:
The largest source of noise in a car, per Sandy Monroe, is the rear. Tesla in their wisdom decided they didn't need a cargo cover. Hatchback need a cover. Just plan stupid IMHO. Nevertheless, there haven't been many Y with 19" delivered, so to me, the jury is still out.

Don't own either (yet), but here's my two cents. From what I have heard between all the youtube videos and posts here, the model Y is very slightly quieter potentially. Some say quieter, some say louder (most say quieter, and measurements with a DB meter seem to agree), but all that seems to me like it is very close.

SO, if your wife doesn't like the noise in your 3, I can't imagine that the Y will be "quieter enough" to satisfy her.

The largest source of noise in a car, per Sandy Monroe, is the rear. Tesla in their wisdom decided they didn't need a cargo cover. Hatchback need a cover. Just plan stupid IMHO. Nevertheless, there haven't been many Y with 19" delivered, so to me, the jury is still out.

Model 3 and Y both have insulating covers above their metal cargo floor. This is much thicker and better sound attenuating than any hatchback cover. It is installed to make a nice flat floor, but can be removed to find additional "basement" storage underneath.

Most all the recent reports are that the Model Y is much quieter than the Model 3. It has better construction and better door seals.

Only noise issue seems to be that the new, more efficient heat pump makes some sound when heating the interior. Sandy said that Tesla is adding a sound reducing insulated cover in future production.

Reactions: destructure00
I have a thread on here where I tested both my Model Y and 3 with a sound level meter over identical stretches of road, back to back. Speeds ranging from 25 to 65. 21s on the Y, Tsportline 18s with Michelin Cross Climate+ tires on the 3. (The Michelins are reviewed as a pretty quiet tire.) Both are 2020s. The Y averaged about 2db quieter than the 3. I would guess that with quiet tires instead of performance tires that the Y would be quieter yet. That's the objective measurement. Subjectively the Y is quieter and what noise is there is less harsh than in the 3. The Y is definitely more pleasant audibly while driving. Both my wife and I share that opinion.

BTW, try as I might I can not hear the heat pump while driving the car. I can hear it while parked in the garage with heat on full.

If she loves the GLE43 so much why change it? It's a pretty new car and selling it now is going to have a huge loss, esp during COVID times. Cybertruck might be the way to go. If she hated the car that's another story. Loss on the GLE will wipe out any gas savings you would get on the Tesla.

If she loves the GLE43 so much why change it? It's a pretty new car and selling it now is going to have a huge loss, esp during COVID times. Cybertruck might be the way to go. If she hated the car that's another story. Loss on the GLE will wipe out any gas savings you would get on the Tesla.

It's not just gas...registration on her car is $800-900 a year here in AZ vs $250 for 5 years for EVs. We are also spending about $2000-2500 a year in maintenance. That adds up over a few years. Throw in gas on top of that and now we're close to even. AZ's cheap EV registration is set to expire in 2021 last I heard, plus factor in planned increases in FSD cost, means the Y (or CT I guess too) gets more expensive the longer we wait.

I also think cheap gas is going to artificially inflate the value of her car for a short time after COVID restrictions start to ease, but if oil producers make cuts I think the cost of gas will go through the roof in the longer term and the bottom will fall out of the SUV and truck market. So I feel like there's a relatively short window of time where her car's value will be higher and the cost of an EV will be lower than it would be otherwise in a few years. Just my opinion on that stuff, could be wrong.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish we had bought something else, or just held on to her Yukon instead of getting something new back in 2017. It's a nice car but depreciation and maintenance on it are insane. I took a huge depreciation hit on my BMW when I traded it for my Model 3, but at least BMW had maintenance included at no charge for the first 40k miles.

All this being said, I'm pretty sure we're going to end up holding off for the CT. I got her to agree to at least test drive a Y whenever they end up available in Tesla retail stores, but I'd be surprised if she bites on it to be honest.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
It's not just gas...registration on her car is $800-900 a year here in AZ vs $250 for 5 years for EVs. We are also spending about $2000-2500 a year in maintenance. That adds up over a few years. Throw in gas on top of that and now we're close to even. AZ's cheap EV registration is set to expire in 2021 last I heard, plus factor in planned increases in FSD cost, means the Y (or CT I guess too) gets more expensive the longer we wait.

I also think cheap gas is going to artificially inflate the value of her car for a short time after COVID restrictions start to ease, but if oil producers make cuts I think the cost of gas will go through the roof in the longer term and the bottom will fall out of the SUV and truck market. So I feel like there's a relatively short window of time where her car's value will be higher and the cost of an EV will be lower than it would be otherwise in a few years. Just my opinion on that stuff, could be wrong.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish we had bought something else, or just held on to her Yukon instead of getting something new back in 2017. It's a nice car but depreciation and maintenance on it are insane. I took a huge depreciation hit on my BMW when I traded it for my Model 3, but at least BMW had maintenance included at no charge for the first 40k miles.

All this being said, I'm pretty sure we're going to end up holding off for the CT. I got her to agree to at least test drive a Y whenever they end up available in Tesla retail stores, but I'd be surprised if she bites on it to be honest.

You might call the SC Tempe and see if they have a demo to drive, Tesla has said they were going to start having cars available for customers to drive before they buy, just a thought. :cool:

You might call the SC Tempe and see if they have a demo to drive, Tesla has said they were going to start having cars available for customers to drive before they buy, just a thought. :cool:
Or go to the showroom in Scottsdale, Fashion Square - that's where I drove a 3 before buying mine last year. Doubt they'll have one available for a while though...

I've heard anecdotal stories about the Model Y being quieter inside (i.e. less road noise) than the Model 3. Can anyone who has owned both share their experience?

I've been talking with my wife about getting a second Tesla. She's on board for a Cybertruck (and we actually reserved a tri-motor last weekend), but that's probably a minimum of 2 years away given the estimated production dates and large number of reservations. I'd really like to do something sooner than that.

She currently drives a Mercedes GLE43 SUV and loves it. We know the Y interior isn't leather like her current vehicle, and Tesla lacks the overall "premium" or plush feel of her Mercedes. Personally I feel that even with different materials, the Model 3 is more comfortable...I really dislike the interior and overall driving experience of her car any more. But that's just me.

Her primary concern with my Model 3 is the road noise. My car is significantly louder than hers on the highway (especially over rougher patches of pavement), and the majority of it is road noise. I have the Performance 3 with the 20" PS4S tires. I am looking at a LR AWD (non-performance) Y for her, so I'd hope that there's at least a little bit of difference in noise between 20" performance summer on the 3 and 19" all-season on the AWD Y.

Looking for any feedback regarding road noise, but I'd be particularly interested in comparisons between 3 and Y, and between Y and a luxury brand SUV like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. Anyone care to share?

She may want to check out the Jaguar I-pace. It is a great car with some issues. They still have some 2019 left and one can get it for like 30k off and still qualify for tax credit. We have a MB ML350 but want an EV. We placed a pre-order for Y but ended up getting an I-pace.

To be very, I very strongly considered the I-Pace. I wanted more luxury/comfort (I'm getting old, what can I say) combined with really wanting a HUD, or something in front of me. The deals combined with the still existing tax credits were definitely a draw. But I've had my Y for over a month now and I love almost everything about it. It is super comfortable (even for long trips), easy to get in and out of, and just has insane performance/handling (and I didn't even go with the Performance model so I could get the Induction wheels).

That being said, I still have not gotten used to not having a speedometer in my line of sight. The argument I hear is let the car drive and you'lll get used to it. But I like to drive. Heck, I love to drive. The Y is my first car ever without a manual transmission and I'm in my 50s. I'm not giving up driving any time soon, nor do I think I'll get used to the speedometer position any time soon. Still haven't figured out a solution, but even with this major gripe I still love my Y and have no regrets. It is exactly what I wanted in my next car (now my current car).

To be very, I very strongly considered the I-Pace. I wanted more luxury/comfort (I'm getting old, what can I say) combined with really wanting a HUD, or something in front of me. The deals combined with the still existing tax credits were definitely a draw. But I've had my Y for over a month now and I love almost everything about it. It is super comfortable (even for long trips), easy to get in and out of, and just has insane performance/handling (and I didn't even go with the Performance model so I could get the Induction wheels).

That being said, I still have not gotten used to not having a speedometer in my line of sight. The argument I hear is let the car drive and you'lll get used to it. But I like to drive. Heck, I love to drive. The Y is my first car ever without a manual transmission and I'm in my 50s. I'm not giving up driving any time soon, nor do I think I'll get used to the speedometer position any time soon. Still haven't figured out a solution, but even with this major gripe I still love my Y and have no regrets. It is exactly what I wanted in my next car (now my current car).

Sanddune, did you happen to test drive the i-Pace. The leftover 2019 HSE first edition models can be had for a screaming deal....very tempting, but I have yet to test drive one (least I get "the fever"...no, not Covid...new car fever!).

Sanddune, did you happen to test drive the i-Pace. The leftover 2019 HSE first edition models can be had for a screaming deal....very tempting, but I have yet to test drive one (least I get "the fever"...no, not Covid...new car fever!).
Never actually drove one. Have sat in them. They were comfortable, and the fit and finish seemed impressive (who knows long term). It came down to a couple issues. 1) Range - while Jaguar actually has been doing a good job in OTA and improving the overall range after deliver, it's still not the 315 of the Y. My biggest problem was a drive over the mountains I usually make would have probably required charging in the I-Pace, but the Y makes it there is one shot. Other then that one drive, the range of the I-Pace was more then enough. 2) My friends and co-workers who have Tesla's are all telling me to get a Tesla. I knew no one with an I-Pace. 3) I really like the look of the Y (and other Sport Utility Coups. The I-Pace is a very good looking vehicle to me, I just like the looks of the Y better.

As for item 2, I don't mind being different then everyone else, but with item 1 and not knowing anyone who could tell me real world range, I went with the Tesla. I gave up the cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and HUD in ordered to get it. I got a better looking vehicle IMHO.