Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much range are you losing parked in subzero temps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.

This weekend I was parked outside in Montreal and let the car with 70% charge and the next morning it was down to 60%. It was around minus 10 degrees c overnight and sentry was off.

Today it was -8C in Ottawa and over 8 hours I lost about 6% charge.

Wondered what kind of range loss you are seeing in the cold?

For me, around1kWhr per day in below freezing conditions. The vampire drain definitely goes up in colder air as the 12V battery probably needs more charging. I've not been exposed yet to true bitterly cold temps so would have to let someone else answer for that.

The vampire draw on a model 3 (assuming no sentry mode) is around 70W. So over 10 hours expect to lose at least .7 kwh. Over 24h it's about 1.6 kwh. That's at a minimum, if the system had to run the cooling pumps, or sentry mode it goes up from there. If you are losing 10% overnight that seems like a lot. Are you sure sentry mode is off? Do you have smart summon standby mode switched on?

Sounds like something was preventing the car from entering sleep mode, which it should do automatically once you walk away, maybe 20 min or so after. I do notice less drain when I shut my Bluetooth off when I'm home. Walking around the house I think my car wakes up if my phone gets close to the garage where the car is parked. When I shut Bluetooth off I only lose a few km overnight. If it's on I've lost 10-15km despite being parked in a garage.

I do wish there was a way to completely shut down the model 3, like in the bolt or volt. My wife's car can sit for a week and not lose 1km of range. She's on mat leave so only drives a little each day and we have to charge maybe every 2 weeks. In the model 3 we would lose half the battery by it just sitting for 2 weeks, not including the driving she does.

The vampire draw on a model 3 (assuming no sentry mode) is around 70W. So over 10 hours expect to lose at least .7 kwh. Over 24h it's about 1.6 kwh. That's at a minimum, if the system had to run the cooling pumps, or sentry mode it goes up from there. If you are losing 10% overnight that seems like a lot. Are you sure sentry mode is off? Do you have smart summon standby mode switched on?

Sounds like something was preventing the car from entering sleep mode, which it should do automatically once you walk away, maybe 20 min or so after. I do notice less drain when I shut my Bluetooth off when I'm home. Walking around the house I think my car wakes up if my phone gets close to the garage where the car is parked. When I shut Bluetooth off I only lose a few km overnight. If it's on I've lost 10-15km despite being parked in a garage.

I do wish there was a way to completely shut down the model 3, like in the bolt or volt. My wife's car can sit for a week and not lose 1km of range. She's on mat leave so only drives a little each day and we have to charge maybe every 2 weeks. In the model 3 we would lose half the battery by it just sitting for 2 weeks, not including the driving she does.
Yes sentry is off and no smart summon. It’s only in the cold this has happened. Not sure if the car is doing anything to keep the battery from getting too cold in the low temps. The app shows asleep in the widget screen which I don’t think wakes the car. Yes a complete shut down would be good.

I parked the car in 20F weather overnight with 15 rated miles left. Next morning I had 2 rated miles and the snowflake symbol. Made it to the supercharger which was 3.3 miles away though.

I parked the car in 20F weather overnight with 15 rated miles left. Next morning I had 2 rated miles and the snowflake symbol. Made it to the supercharger which was 3.3 miles away though.
Wow that's really pushing it. If the SC was that close why not just stop for 10 min to keep the battery above the danger zone? Aside from the risk if stranding yourself, it's not good to leave the car sitting at such low SOC. Glad you made it in the morning though. The car does have a 3kwh low end buffer, but it's still something I hope to not dip into ever :)