Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much range do you really need? (based on frequent SR+/RWD vs. LR questions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems that SR+/RWD vs. LR questions are common, mostly based on guessing how much range one really needs.

Here are some tips on estimating:
  1. If your previous car was an EV (or PHEV), compare your actual economy and range with the rated economy and range (in electric mode if PHEV). You can use that to make a similar adjustment to the range of any new EV that you are considering. However, be careful with the following:
    1. Some EVs' rated economy and ranges are derated by the manufacturer. Adjust your adjustment accordingly.
    2. If your previous EV and the new EV you are considering use different cabin heat (resistive versus heat pump), then note that your actual cold weather economy and range will be penalized more with resistive heating than heat pump heating. Note that while current Model 3 has heat pump heating, older ones have resistive heating.
  2. If your previous car was an ICEV, you can make a similar comparison of your actual economy and range with the rated economy and range, but do it separately for city and highway driving.
    1. Because heat is basically free in an ICEV, remember that cold weather will have some penalty in an EV (larger if resistive heating).
  3. Because EV batteries do lose some capacity over time and charging cycles, you may want to take that into account. I.e. if an EV's range when new is only barely enough, it may become inadequate if it eventually loses 5% or 10% of capacity. Capacity loss is likely to be worse the more the car is parked at 100% state-of-charge, which may be more common if an EV's range is barely enough and you have to charge it to 100% frequently.
  4. If you do not have convenient home charging, then consider the convenience or not of charging at public charging locations; you may want more of a range buffer in that case.

Other than city commuting I may regularly travel to four out of town destinations. The furthest is 67 miles one way. No problem with my SR+. I plan on taking a trip later this spring from Milwaukee to Minneapolis. It will require two 15 minute stops on the way. I welcome the two stops to stretch my legs.

I have the Tesla wall "charger" in my garage. I rarely charge above 75% unless I am going to one of those four destinations. Then I'll fill it to 90%.

Reactions: lawmangr