TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much range reduction from pulling a Uhaul trailer?

Discussion in 'Model Y: Driving Dynamics' started by cstork, Nov 17, 2020.

1. cstork

cstork Supporting Member

Wind drag is the major item using power when driving on a highway. I assume this drag is dramatically higher when pulling a trailer. Is it a 1.5x range reduction? 3x? Does anyone have and experience here?

2. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

#2 Watts_Up, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    There are several threads on TMC and videos on YouTube dealing with drag effect.

Typically you can expect 20 to 40% of losses.

In the case of roof rack or trailor hitch with bicycles, the measurements were done at 65 to 70 miles per hour.

But in the case of a trailer, the speed was lower, like 50 to 55 miles per hour.

In the case of a trailer, most of the comments were based on the Model X, but results should be very similar for the Model Y.

3. jsight

jsight Member

The type of trailer matters a lot. Here's a great example of a reduction to barely 100 miles:

4. Quorky

Quorky Member

I pulled a 4x8' trailer with a model 3. Weight is less an issue than aerodynamics. A trailer loaded with flat boxes about a foot off the trailer (ikea flat boxes - wardrobes) yielded about 350w/mi while a squat rack that stuck out a foot above car height with 2 times the weight of the ikea boxes (1k lbs for rack + meat, some tools, ice to keep meat frozen, Olympic weights) + 2 kids, wife and a bunch of misc, yielded about 440w/mi...

5. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

6. fly4fun

fly4fun Member

I pulled a lightly loaded 5x8 UHaul box trailer with my MY on an 87 mile round trip.
    I averaged 370 Wh/mi vs 231 Wh/mi for the same trip without the trailer
    Speed was 55-60 most of the trip with the trailer, and 60-65 for the same trip without the trailer.
    If I did the math right, this means a range reduction of roughly 1/3.

This is quite a bit less range reduction than what you'd get with most travel trailers since they have way more drag than the little UHaul.

7. Trinity636

Trinity636 Member

Huge reduction. I lost about a 1/3 of my range.

• Helpful x 1