Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much range reduction from pulling a Uhaul trailer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several threads on TMC and videos on YouTube dealing with drag effect.

Typically you can expect 20 to 40% of losses.

In the case of roof rack or trailor hitch with bicycles, the measurements were done at 65 to 70 miles per hour.

But in the case of a trailer, the speed was lower, like 50 to 55 miles per hour.

In the case of a trailer, most of the comments were based on the Model X, but results should be very similar for the Model Y.

Last edited:
I pulled a 4x8' trailer with a model 3. Weight is less an issue than aerodynamics. A trailer loaded with flat boxes about a foot off the trailer (ikea flat boxes - wardrobes) yielded about 350w/mi while a squat rack that stuck out a foot above car height with 2 times the weight of the ikea boxes (1k lbs for rack + meat, some tools, ice to keep meat frozen, Olympic weights) + 2 kids, wife and a bunch of misc, yielded about 440w/mi...

I pulled a lightly loaded 5x8 UHaul box trailer with my MY on an 87 mile round trip.
I averaged 370 Wh/mi vs 231 Wh/mi for the same trip without the trailer
Speed was 55-60 most of the trip with the trailer, and 60-65 for the same trip without the trailer.
If I did the math right, this means a range reduction of roughly 1/3.

This is quite a bit less range reduction than what you'd get with most travel trailers since they have way more drag than the little UHaul.