TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much should I pay for a used Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by abuzar1, Aug 25, 2019.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Member

Looking to buy a used Model S. I don't care about autopilot. I was thinking 2013-2014 models with 50-90k miles or so. How much should I pay for one in good condition? Standard 85 model, I don't care for having the performance.

2. erik_k

erik_k Member

Personally I’d say less than $45k with AP1.
    More for AWD or P
    Less than $38k if it doesn’t have AP1

Cheapest from Tesla right now is a 2014 S 85, no AP for $34,600. That includes a 2y/limited mileage warranty direct from Tesla.
    Find it and others at
    https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Member

I'm looking at a 2014 with 50k miles for 32500 with new tires and another 2013 with same miles (no new tires) for 31k. Would you say both these are pretty good prices? Should I pay more for the 2014 to get an eextra year of battery warranty.

4. erik_k

erik_k Member

Whether either are a good deal comes down to personal factors for you. Do you love the color or hate it. Do you care that it was immaculately detailed every week or are you ok with paint scratches/chips and windshield chips/pits? That’s a personal decision.

True spontaneous failures of the HV battery are pretty rare. Ask how the cars have been charged and what the displayed l/estimated range is at 90% or 100% SOC.

The more widely known problems (vs HV battery pack failure) are having door handles or the MCU fail and have to pay out of pocket. I’d ask on both cars the history of repairs or replacement of the MCU, drive units, door handles, and whether it has the original battery. You may discover some of these things have already been replaced since new.

5. kizamybute'

kizamybute' Member

I would at least focus on getting a late build 2013 as the battery chemistry changed significantly in 2013. Later build batteries in late 2013 and beyond hold up much better.

6. BlueOvalFan

BlueOvalFan Member

Just to give you a gauge I picked up my Nov 2015 Build P85D fully loaded less cold weather and rear jump seats for $51.3k and 34k miles on the speedo. I would think you would be in the mid $35k range.

7. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

To the OP...as much as you can afford. 2014 to 2016 MS are keepers, IMO.