Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much snow can it handle ?

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
Two winters ago, I drove my P3D+ in about 8" of snow. I had changed the wheels to 18" and the tires to Pirelli Sottozero 3. They are more of a cold-weather performance tire than a snow tire.

I didn't go far, but the car did absolutely fantastic, even though part of the way it was pushing/compacting snow because it was deeper than the car's clearance. (In most area I drove, other cars had already done so). I had snow socks with me (and kitty litter and a shovel), but did not put them on.

I drove past a few stuck vehicles, including a tow truck; although to be fair the snow had been deeper - I didn't venture out until after a few days, when some had melted. In fact when it was at its deepest, a snowplow got stuck several times nearby, and the national guard was deployed in our neighborhood shoveling driveways.

The snow:

IMG_20190212_091944.jpg

The snow tires and wheels:

IMG_20181210_115042.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are brave. If there is standing snow that hasn't been plowed I'm taking my truck for clearance and truck tires.

no kidding. a lot of times snow on the road isn't ally fluffy and nice, they come in chunks and the car's front lip can take a beating. I hate those giant chunks of ice/snow that drops from the wheel wells of cars, lol.

Two winters ago, I drove my P3D+ in about 8" of snow. I had changed the wheels to 18" and the tires to Pirelli Sottozero 3. They are more of a cold-weather performance tire than a snow tire.

I didn't go far, but the car did absolutely fantastic, even though part of the way it was pushing/compacting snow because it was deeper than the car's clearance. (In most area I drove, other cars had already done so). I had snow socks with me (and kitty litter and a shovel), but did not put them on.

I drove past a few stuck vehicles, including a tow truck; although to be fair the snow had been deeper - I didn't venture out until after a few days, when some had melted. In fact when it was at its deepest, a snowplow got stuck several times nearby, and the national guard was deployed in our neighborhood shoveling driveways.

The snow:

View attachment 636236

The snow tires and wheels:

View attachment 636237

nice, what wheels are those? Looks good!

The last time I drove my SR+ in significant snow was about this time last year. The storm was expected to drop about 6” and by the time I was on the road there was at least 3”. I was on the interstate, which is a mixed bag of partially plowed, some lanes not so safe.

Side roads were not spectacular either, but my car forged ahead.

I don’t have winter tires and the car handled admirably. No issues at all. I grew up in the “Chiberia” & Wisconsin area, so to me, this is second nature and I know when not to even bother setting out. Really deep snow for any car is going to be a problem and I’d rather take a day off than spend my day pulling my car out of the ditch.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
overnight, a foot of snow had piled up.
I pulled out of the garage and put the gear on Drive and the car is now stuck.
I shoveled the snow out of the way for the tires but the all season tires just don't have enough traction. .

I drove my wife's X3 to work.
Freeway was pretty bad as well.

B07E5553-565A-4F4A-879B-FEF4A69FCD24.jpeg

7836FEE4-E8D8-421F-B2BB-2694077C29A8.jpeg

1CC0CD2E-ECE7-4D3C-8A6F-1B5DDDC99650.jpeg

Last edited:

outdoors

🌲🛶⛺️🏔♻︎🙂
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
Mountain West
With many cars there comes a point at which the car is literally resting on top of the snow. All the snow tires in the world will do you nothing. Then it becomes a dig out. As you pulled out of your driveway you can see the bottom of the car scraping the snow. Just a couple more inches and no momentum and you're done. I think you found that at the bottom of your driveway.

Edit: I use snow tires. They do help stop that momentum.

overnight, a foot of snow had piled up.
I pulled out of the garage and put the gear on Drive and the car is now stuck.
I shoveled the snow out of the way for the tires but the all season tires just don't have enough traction. .

I drove my wife's X3 to work.
Freeway was pretty bad as well.

View attachment 636446

View attachment 636451

View attachment 636452

Yeah, the model 3 is too low to the ground for that much snow. Maybe if you had cleared the driveway out to the travel lane (if there even was one on your dead-end street), you might of had a chance, but switching from reverse to forward still might have tripped you up.

Hopefully you didn't have the car in a warm garage, otherwise you might be frozen to the ground now.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC