Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much snow can it handle ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two winters ago, I drove my P3D+ in about 8" of snow. I had changed the wheels to 18" and the tires to Pirelli Sottozero 3. They are more of a cold-weather performance tire than a snow tire.

I didn't go far, but the car did absolutely fantastic, even though part of the way it was pushing/compacting snow because it was deeper than the car's clearance. (In most area I drove, other cars had already done so). I had snow socks with me (and kitty litter and a shovel), but did not put them on.

I drove past a few stuck vehicles, including a tow truck; although to be fair the snow had been deeper - I didn't venture out until after a few days, when some had melted. In fact when it was at its deepest, a snowplow got stuck several times nearby, and the national guard was deployed in our neighborhood shoveling driveways.

The snow:

IMG_20190212_091944.jpg

The snow tires and wheels:

IMG_20181210_115042.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are brave. If there is standing snow that hasn't been plowed I'm taking my truck for clearance and truck tires.

no kidding. a lot of times snow on the road isn't ally fluffy and nice, they come in chunks and the car's front lip can take a beating. I hate those giant chunks of ice/snow that drops from the wheel wells of cars, lol.

Two winters ago, I drove my P3D+ in about 8" of snow. I had changed the wheels to 18" and the tires to Pirelli Sottozero 3. They are more of a cold-weather performance tire than a snow tire.

I didn't go far, but the car did absolutely fantastic, even though part of the way it was pushing/compacting snow because it was deeper than the car's clearance. (In most area I drove, other cars had already done so). I had snow socks with me (and kitty litter and a shovel), but did not put them on.

I drove past a few stuck vehicles, including a tow truck; although to be fair the snow had been deeper - I didn't venture out until after a few days, when some had melted. In fact when it was at its deepest, a snowplow got stuck several times nearby, and the national guard was deployed in our neighborhood shoveling driveways.

The snow:

View attachment 636236

The snow tires and wheels:

View attachment 636237

nice, what wheels are those? Looks good!

The last time I drove my SR+ in significant snow was about this time last year. The storm was expected to drop about 6” and by the time I was on the road there was at least 3”. I was on the interstate, which is a mixed bag of partially plowed, some lanes not so safe.

Side roads were not spectacular either, but my car forged ahead.

I don’t have winter tires and the car handled admirably. No issues at all. I grew up in the “Chiberia” & Wisconsin area, so to me, this is second nature and I know when not to even bother setting out. Really deep snow for any car is going to be a problem and I’d rather take a day off than spend my day pulling my car out of the ditch.

overnight, a foot of snow had piled up.
I pulled out of the garage and put the gear on Drive and the car is now stuck.
I shoveled the snow out of the way for the tires but the all season tires just don't have enough traction. .

I drove my wife's X3 to work.
Freeway was pretty bad as well.

B07E5553-565A-4F4A-879B-FEF4A69FCD24.jpeg

7836FEE4-E8D8-421F-B2BB-2694077C29A8.jpeg

1CC0CD2E-ECE7-4D3C-8A6F-1B5DDDC99650.jpeg

Last edited:
With many cars there comes a point at which the car is literally resting on top of the snow. All the snow tires in the world will do you nothing. Then it becomes a dig out. As you pulled out of your driveway you can see the bottom of the car scraping the snow. Just a couple more inches and no momentum and you're done. I think you found that at the bottom of your driveway.

Edit: I use snow tires. They do help stop that momentum.

overnight, a foot of snow had piled up.
I pulled out of the garage and put the gear on Drive and the car is now stuck.
I shoveled the snow out of the way for the tires but the all season tires just don't have enough traction. .

I drove my wife's X3 to work.
Freeway was pretty bad as well.

View attachment 636446

View attachment 636451

View attachment 636452

Yeah, the model 3 is too low to the ground for that much snow. Maybe if you had cleared the driveway out to the travel lane (if there even was one on your dead-end street), you might of had a chance, but switching from reverse to forward still might have tripped you up.

Hopefully you didn't have the car in a warm garage, otherwise you might be frozen to the ground now.