Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much snow can it handle ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snow tires make a huge difference. I have no problem plowing through 12" of fresh snow. I don't worry about traction, just hidden icebergs that could damage the bumper.

Fuel efficiency in deep snow really takes a hit though. I have burnt though more than 10kwh in 10 miles without ever breaking 30mph.

Welp, let's just say SR+ and all seasons weren't the business...

60tIDlz.jpeg

Where’s the vid?

Sorry - I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post links to my own stuff here. Not really trying to promote the channel, I just thought the timing of the video was spot on :). Here's the link - youtube]aaHy96hWPA0. If you want to go straight to the footage, go to about the 5:00 mark. If posts like this are not allowed, I have no problem with the admin deleting it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ron_M3 and SlimJim
Sorry - I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post links to my own stuff here. Not really trying to promote the channel, I just thought the timing of the video was spot on :). Here's the link - youtube]aaHy96hWPA0. If you want to go straight to the footage, go to about the 5:00 mark. If posts like this are not allowed, I have no problem with the admin deleting it.

hmm link didn’t work for me...and can’t find your channel.

Drove my 2020 AWD Model 3 in the Olympic National Forest near Hoodsport, WA Friday night Feb 12th. Woke up to 18" of fresh power. I expected snow but not THAT much snow. Im on 4/32" of tread on all four stock MXM4 tires and honestly I was a little nervous when I woke up to seeing it so deep. Firs thing I did was get out there to push the limits and handled it like a BEAST! I did get stuck once where I bottomed out in 20"+ but we made it out drove all the way back to North Seattle with 6" plus on the freeway and coming down. Cant imagine how well this thing would do with studs on actual good winter tires.

IMG-5317

Last edited:
My cuv with 7.5" ground clearance did fine today.
Tesla should make model y ground clearance a little higher and it will be my next car.
My 8.7" Subaru wouldn't have a problem either. The issue for EVs is efficiency, so staying low most of the time is better. The Model X with air suspension can go up to 9" of clearance.

Not exactly a fair statement.

RWD with snow tires did pretty well in non hill settings (15% - 20% incline).
Yes, it can work...but AWD with snow tires is an enjoyable and much more confident/capable set up for snow. Just the right tool for the particular scenario. RWD is great in the dry.

Reactions: SlimJim
I recently replaced my oem Michelin Primacy tires (awd model with acceleration boost) , with Michelin Pilot sport all seasons

Amazed how good it handles in the snow
Obviously too much snow and the low clearance of the car would cause problems
But I went out (foolishly) on Super Bowl Sunday to food
Roads not yet plowed, couple of inches of snow and icy roads

on a small hill the Jeep Wrangler ahead of me was going super slow and got stuck
Starting spinning sideways ; I worried he would slide into me so reversed down the hill
5 min later he got himself out and I went up the hill with zero issues ; never felt any slippage
Had the accelerator almost pinned to fight against the traction control which really limits power in such conditions.
Went up like a champ though and way home after food curbside pickup went down the hill with zero issues as well
I think the Primacy tires would have struggled on both ends

tip: change regen to low if heading out in snow/slippery conditions
Sometimes I put in chill too but think In this case that would have been a bad move

I was looking forward to another RWD in snow (instead of FWD). Tesla 3 in this regard only is a huge disappointment. Sprung for different tires this year -- Michelin X-Ice -- much improved but still inadequate. After 4 decades of winter driving, this is one of the least suitable cars I've had: poor traction, none in a few inches even with SlipStart.

I find my 21AWD3 is quite terrible in snow. Maybe it's a new model Michelin 18" OEM tire. Even lifting off accel with half regen caused the car to dart on 1 inch packed snow. I have lived in NE all my life and know snow driving, this tire is awful. My S with OEM Goodyear was fine up to 35-40 mph and dedicated winter tires did t make much difference in that car. I haven't driven the MY but my wife hasn't complained about it.

Live in MA and first winter I drove my 2018 LR AWD without snow tires and it was dicey. Bought Hankook Winter i*cept evo2 snow tires for last winter and have them on again now - they are a beast in the snow. Bought the 244/40R19 tires. They are wider than the originals (235/40R19). Bought the 19" OEM sport wheels from Auto Rim Shop. Pretty happy with the price and performance all around.