Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how much sound deadening material for doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Id like to sound deaden the doors in my model S. For those who have done it, how many sq feet of material do I need to safely do 4 doors in a Model S? is 36 sq feet enough. Besides the doors, whatever areas should I need to quiet the cabin......?

I’m about to do my doors. There’s already some deadening on the outer shell, but to be honest, I use dynamat on the interior door panels as well as they rattle significantly, and dynamatting them definitely helps with noise and makes them feel/sound less cheap/plasticky, so you’ll probably need about 2 sheets per door depending on how much area you cover. You should have enough to do the doors with a 9 sheet box of Dynamat Xtreme.

The other thing I lean to do is take apart the two pieces of the door panel and line the area where the upholstery of the panels touch with Tesa felt tape to eliminate the squeak they make. If you place it right you never see the tape and it is sandwiched in place. I’m also going to add a layer of thinsulate to supplement the acoustic insulation on the door panel.

You probably also want to do the tailgate, wheel well liners, and other interior pieces if their thin plasticky-ness annoys you. It annoyed me lol. But you would definitely need another box to do more than just the doors. So far I’ve done most of the interior panels, center console, seat lower trim, even did the frunk and the big plastic panel under the frunk and main cabin air intake duct. I also did the tesa tape everywhere plastic panels contact, which made a big difference in the amount of squeaks and creaks made by the seat, center console, vents, and steering column cover on turns. My car is pretty much squeak free.

So one box if you just want to do the doors, another if you want to tackle other areas. Definitely consider getting a roll of Thinsulate and some Tesa tape if you want to further cut down on cabin noise. The thinsulate will absorb more road noise in the doors and space behind panels, and the Tesa tape will eliminate squeaks.

Reactions: jacie6056
I got 1 box of the Noico 80 mil stuff and it was enough to do all 4 doors and the trunk lid and some in the trunk base with a sheet leftover. i only did the outer part of the doors and tossed a few scraps on the inner piece. my deadening was to eliminate road noise from coming into the car and that definitely helped. my car doesn't make any weird sounds that needed eliminating just road noise and since there was only a 6 inch square piece of material on each door it was quite necessary.
I also got a roll of the house sound deadening stuff and put a huge chunk of it in the trunk it is 1/8 inch thick and 1 pound per sqft that stuff covered the flat part of the trunk and i also put it in the lower bit of the trunk and held it in place with some of the noico stuff

Reactions: Shiro
I am curious about the combination of Thinsulate and soundskin pro door kit. It's pricy but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this 3-in-1 product?

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 8.54.51 PM.png

I am curious about the combination of Thinsulate and soundskin pro door kit. It's pricy but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this 3-in-1 product?

View attachment 802810
I've never seen that but compare it to the price of a bulk box of dynamat extreme and a roll of thinsulate (available on ebay and pretty inexpensive) and see how it compares. I prefer to do is separately because I don't need both materials in the same place all the time.

I got 1 box of the Noico 80 mil stuff and it was enough to do all 4 doors and the trunk lid and some in the trunk base with a sheet leftover. i only did the outer part of the doors and tossed a few scraps on the inner piece. my deadening was to eliminate road noise from coming into the car and that definitely helped. my car doesn't make any weird sounds that needed eliminating just road noise and since there was only a 6 inch square piece of material on each door it was quite necessary.
I also got a roll of the house sound deadening stuff and put a huge chunk of it in the trunk it is 1/8 inch thick and 1 pound per sqft that stuff covered the flat part of the trunk and i also put it in the lower bit of the trunk and held it in place with some of the noico stuff
If I was just doing the outer skins one box definitely would have been more than enough, but the Model S interior just felt so cheap to me. Very resonant, plasticky, and thin. Dynamatting the panels as well as adding more thinsulate definitely made the panels feel/sound more premium and also helped the stereo as the panels definitely rattled with even the mediocre bass the stock system puts out.

For the house stuff, are you talking about mass loaded vinyl? That stuff is probably the best sound deadener you can use, period. Very heavy but very effective.

If I was just doing the outer skins one box definitely would have been more than enough, but the Model S interior just felt so cheap to me. Very resonant, plasticky, and thin. Dynamatting the panels as well as adding more thinsulate definitely made the panels feel/sound more premium and also helped the stereo as the panels definitely rattled with even the mediocre bass the stock system puts out.

For the house stuff, are you talking about mass loaded vinyl? That stuff is probably the best sound deadener you can use, period. Very heavy but very effective.
Yeah i used this stuff for the trunk. I was surprised how much stuff tesla had on the floor of the trunk but the lower storage area had nothing. So i put this all over the trunk.
I didn't notice the inner door piece being too bad, but i was combating road noise, and the better audio quality was more of a after effect of that.

Reactions: jacie6056
Yeah i used this stuff for the trunk. I was surprised how much stuff tesla had on the floor of the trunk but the lower storage area had nothing. So i put this all over the trunk.
I didn't notice the inner door piece being too bad, but i was combating road noise, and the better audio quality was more of a after effect of that.
Do you have photos of how you put it together? would love to see the work