Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much time does it take to download the Subscription Version ($199/mo) of Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lorentzd

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2021
Jeannette PA
I’m am interested in knowing how much time it takes to download the “Subscription Version ($199/mo) of Full Self Driving”, from the time you pay for it in the Tesla app… to the time it is downloaded onto your Tesla ….? I receive about 300 MB/S when downloading regular Tesla updates in my garage; regular updates typically take place in less than 35 to 40 minutes. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I’m am interested in knowing how much time it takes to download the “Subscription Version ($199/mo) of Full Self Driving”, from the time you pay for it in the Tesla app… to the time it is downloaded onto your Tesla ….? I receive about 300 MB/S when downloading regular Tesla updates in my garage; regular updates typically take place in less than 35 to 40 minutes. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
There isn't a software update, so it won't take any time at all. It's just a switch they enable on your car to access the extra features - NoA, Autopark, Traffic Light Control, etc. You'll get a note in the car and see all the settings available.

Reactions: lorentzd
Upvote 0
As soon as you pay for the fsd subscription on tesla app all FSD features (navigate on autopilot, summon, traffic sign control) will show up instantaneously under autopilot tab. You will have the option to request fsd beta however, no one knows how and when tesla will give you fsd beta software. As soon as your subscription ends all fsd features will disappear from autopilot tab.

Upvote 0
The preceding answers are (AFAIK) correct in terms of the activation of widely available, public features of FSD -- namely, Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, plus the Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) features (Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, and Smart Summon), if you don't already have EAP.

The big FSD feature, Autosteer on City Streets, however, is currently in a limited beta-test program. As I understand it, people who subscribe, rather than buy, the FSD package are eligible to participate in this program; but you must allow the car to monitor your driving and "pass" this "test" before getting access to this feature. I haven't been following the details too closely recently, but I gather that Tesla has been admitting few new testers recently, so I wouldn't count on getting this feature if you just want to try out FSD for a month; it might take longer than that to be accepted into the program. Perhaps somebody with more recent experience than I, or who's been following discussions of it more closely, can comment on this point.

IMHO, Autosteer on City Streets, in its current state, is not worth getting. Rather than "Full Self-Driving," I believe the "FSD" acronym is better interpreted as "Flaky Student Driver," because that's how the car drives -- erratically and in an unsafe manner. You have to stay very alert so as to prevent the car from doing dangerous things, which it can do quite unexpectedly. (I was recently stopped at a stop light, and the car suddenly started moving forward without warning, for instance.) A caveat: I'm currently on 2022.12.3.20, which provides FSD beta 10.12.2. Tesla is preparing to roll out a new FSD version that they claim is a big improvement, and a few beta testers apparently already have that, but I do not. I'm skeptical that it'll really be a huge improvement; my expectation is that it will be another modest improvement.

If you want to try an FSD subscription to try out the EAP features to evaluate them or for a long road trip, then a subscription might be worthwhile. The publicly-available FSD features are trivial compared to Autosteer on City Streets, but AFAIK there's no EAP subscription, so if you want a subscription, you'll get those features in addition to the EAP features. If you've already bought EAP, then you won't get much value from an FSD subscription.

Upvote 0
I signed up in the app last night and still not showing up in the car after 2 reboots. It does show on the info screen that I have the FSD subscription.
it all depends on what software you are running and what hardware version you have.....when I subscribed to fsd a few months ago (before I just bought it when the price was reduced), it took a few weeks before my software updated and allowed me to activate fsd(b)

Upvote 0