Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much tint did my fellow Ontarians get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering the darkest tint that the law permits in Ontario, which I'm assuming is ?% windshield (not sure what the law is), 30% front, 20% all around? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
How much tint did you get for your tesla?

I don't think any level of tint greater than 70 percent will pass a safety for any car made after 2016/2017. But for driving around purposes and for least chance of issues with the police, I went with 30 in the front, and 20 in the rear/back. If I could do it over again, I'd probably do 20 in the front as well. With the glass roof, 30 in the front is a bit light for my tastes.

I do not believe in tinting my Model S. I got nothing to hide. Factory window shading are fine with me.
I had 45% for all windows, 75% for the windshield with a heat rejecting tint. The difference was literally night and day - no more heady feelings in the summer from the shoulders up. Made a huge difference in terms of how hard the a/c ran - it never goes full on anymore, so it's also saving energy. It's a decent level of tint so that you get the best effects of the tint without the drawbacks of a darker tint when it gets darker. Night time driving isn't an issue at all. Can see into the cabin under most lighting conditions, so still nothing to hide.

Why do people tint their windows?
I do it to block IR and UV, not to block visible light. On a sunny day, it is amazing the difference even a minimal tint makes in terms of how much heat comes through a tinted side window; it is easily perceptible. Of course one cannot perceive the decrease in UV, but someday your skin cells will thank you.

Unfortunately in BC any level of side window tinting is not allowed. To import my California Teslas into BC I had to have my side window tinting removed so my cars would pass the vehicle inspection. So I really missed my side window tint this past summer in Vancouver. The rest of the year I don’t need it. 😉