TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much to offer for this 85D?

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by imafan, Jul 25, 2018.

1. imafan

imafan Member

I'm looking to make an offer for a private party with these main specs. I would like to know what would be a reasonable offer I should make. Seller is asking for $53k. Thanks!
    2015 Model S 85D
    60,000 miles
    Autopilot1
    All-glass panoramic roof
    Premium interior leather and lighting
    Ultra high fidelity sound
    Subzero weather package
    no ding/scratches/accidents

2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Mileage is a bit high but sounds nice and clean.. I just turned in my leased 85D. It had a buyout of $63k so $53k sounds reasonable. You should get free supercharge also.

3. cellphonechris

ESA purchased?

4. imafan

imafan Member

no ESA, just remaining battery/drivedrain warranty

5. Target

Target Member

I would try to get it at 50K. In my opinion 53K is a reasonable deal for that car, assuming that is is otherwise clean and totally average. As always, pull a carfax and reduce that if it has a damage history or any other surprises.

• Like x 1
  6. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Member

$53k is a deal.

• Like x 2
  7. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

I agree. $50K is a fair offer given that you have no ability to buy the ESA any more.

8. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Without looking at anybody else's number first, I came up with 48K as the starting point, going up a bit from there as necessary. I always try to start a bit low. :)

• Like x 1
  9. imafan

imafan Member

I've seen 85D CPOs for around $55k price with 4yr warranty and half mileage. How much is ESA worth?

10. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

I consider a 4 year warranty to be worth about $4,000-$5,000. More so though I am just not comfortable buying a Tesla out of warranty, as I just want to have the peace of mind in having anything that breaks covered under warranty.

When you have an out of warranty Tesla, IMO that car is worth less than a car with a warranty because a segment of shoppers would not even want to bother making an offer. We would not, when there are vehicles that you can buy that qualify for the ESA.

Now if a car was $8-10K less than a car with a 4 year warranty I may feel comfortable with a purchase knowing that I have a reasonable reserve for any potential repairs but all this is highly subjective and personal. I'm sure some would roll the dice and take a risk.

• Helpful x 1
  11. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

Good point. Such a CPO would totally make sense over an out of warranty car, especially if you make sure you buy one that is not damaged...

12. Target

Target Member

• Like x 1
  13. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

That's a great find! As long as it is in decent shape the Tesla CPO you posted is a better deal.

If I were the OP, I would offer $49,000 for the out of warranty 85D since the Tesla CPO with the 4 year warranty is $53K.

14. imafan

imafan Member

That car looks great! barely enough mileage to still qualify for 4 years warranty. Thanks for the link!

15. Target

Target Member

NextGen seats too. I haven't sat in a NextGen seat, but from what I hear and read they are well worth it. Good luck!

16. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Personally I would spend few more and buy @Plan B s whip...

17. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

It's like $15K more... You could buy another used EV for that money.

18. imafan

imafan Member

Didn't go with the 53k CPO as my SO is very particular about interior and exterior color as it'll be our most expensive car yet. It was snatched up quick after posting tho.
    Another question, does anyone know if Tesla buyback a car at trade-in price if one doesn't buy another Tesla?

• Love x 1
  19. Target

Target Member

Now that you have all of our attention, what exactly are you looking for? What options are important to you?

20. imafan

imafan Member

I've been watching CPO for a blue, AP1, >70/D, pano, in the low $50k or new fascia for around $60k but availability is limited so I'm looking into private party cars. I deposited for a CPO matching the criteria but ended up rejecting because it had a body long swipe like it had scraped along a safety divider--not sure why they even listed it on CPO. The plan is buy and drive for a long time until maintenance is cost prohibited to own.

Your input is appreciated to make sure I get what I pay for. If I buy from private party, is it possible to pay for Tesla service center to inspect it before purchase? For ICE car, I'd bring to a mechanic but I'm not sure they know what to look for in a Tesla. I'll check carfax, title, service record, and general walk around for ding/scratch/odd behavior but wouldn't know if major components need repair.