Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much to swap out wheels at a shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally I just jack the car up and swap out wheels myself (not changing tires off of rims, just changing the entire rim+wheel) for the winter/summer. I am getting my alignment checked after a few weeks driving on the MPP Comfort Coilovers at the local shop, and I asked them if I brought my summer wheels if they could swap my winters off for me. They told me they would charge $25/wheel.

That seems a bit much. Any thoughts?

Seems about right. It's probably because they don't need to take off your wheels for the alignment so it's an extra step. If you don't want to do it yourself maybe you can get Tesla mobile too come out and charge it as a tire rotation?

First, check to make sure that the shop has the alignment spec data loaded on their machines for the Y. I've been trying to get an alignment for the last few weeks and none of the local alignment shops have the data in their computers as yet. Second, I'd just swap the wheels myself and spend the $100 on the alignment instead. 😁

That seems like a bit much, but maybe they don't want to do it.

No one will care more about your car than you do. The worst thing is paying someone to do something and then paying again to fix their screw-ups.

Working with tires is filthy and I avoid it, but do it yourself if you care about your winter and summer wheels.

Normally I just jack the car up and swap out wheels myself (not changing tires off of rims, just changing the entire rim+wheel) for the winter/summer. I am getting my alignment checked after a few weeks driving on the MPP Comfort Coilovers at the local shop, and I asked them if I brought my summer wheels if they could swap my winters off for me. They told me they would charge $25/wheel.

That seems a bit much. Any thoughts?

First, check to make sure that the shop has the alignment spec data loaded on their machines for the Y. I've been trying to get an alignment for the last few weeks and none of the local alignment shops have the data in their computers as yet. Second, I'd just swap the wheels myself and spend the $100 on the alignment instead. 😁

I believe the LR specs are the same as the model 3 AWD's which most places have. For some reason the performance specs are a little different (rear toe mostly). I just brought in the page that @Barrygold posted and they set my specs based on that. I attached a copy. Hope he's ok with it.

Attachments

• B8500AB2-DEE9-4F44-90B9-CF19517D72DE.jpeg
    B8500AB2-DEE9-4F44-90B9-CF19517D72DE.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Informative
Reactions: N1L CO2
Wow. $100 to basically "rotate" tires? Are you sure they understood they're not removing tires from rims???

Is it the same shop that mounted your coilovers?

Yes. I swapped my wheels out myself initially (summer -> winter), and just figured since this shop is going to be checking alignment again, I would just pay them to swap the wheels out too. I was guessing like $20 total. All good, I'll just do it myself.