Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much to tip a Tesla valet

How much to tip

• Currency 0 - it's their job

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • $10 (or equivalent in your currency)

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • $20 (OEIYC)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • $30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100,000 (so they can go buy their own Tesla :)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
unless they do something that is far and away extraordinary I wouldn't feel the need for a tip. tipping is a strange custom in the US, and this is one situation that I don't believe warrants any sort of incentive to them to provide services.

Reactions: FlyF4
I guess you mean tipping the tow truck driver? Valet to me is a non-starter because I don't do it! Not with the Tesla anyway. :)
I would think $10-$20 depending on service. And maybe even before work is completed as a reminder to take care of my baby

tipping is a strange custom in the US.
Totally agree. You hit a sore spot. And in most cases, businesses depend on customers to subsidize their crappy wages by tipping servers. Tipping is supposed to be for services above and beyond normal. That's why it is called a gratuity. It is the one reason I don't go to restaurants that charge a 15%, 18%, or even 20% "AUTOMATIC" tip for 6 or more people. It's nuts. Pay your people more. When I go to other countries and tip them for good service, they really appreciate. Here, people expect it.

Totally agree. You hit a sore spot. And in most cases, businesses depend on customers to subsidize their crappy wages by tipping servers. Tipping is supposed to be for services above and beyond normal. That's why it is called a gratuity. It is the one reason I don't go to restaurants that charge a 15%, 18%, or even 20% "AUTOMATIC" tip for 6 or more people. It's nuts. Pay your people more. When I go to other countries and tip them for good service, they really appreciate. Here, people expect it.
One of my favorite restaurants has this printed on their menus:
All of our menu prices include a living wage, revenue share, paid family leave, fully funded health & dental insurance, paid time off, and a 401(k) with employer match for all of our hard working employees.
~No Tips Expected~
It's great because what you see is what you get in terms of the price of dinner (with the exception of sales tax). The staff don't have to depend on the largesse of customers to make a living. Customers don't have to worry about whether or not they're tipping enough.

• Love
Reactions: croman and oktane

It's great because what you see is what you get in terms of the price of dinner (with the exception of sales tax). The staff don't have to depend on the largesse of customers to make a living. Customers don't have to worry about whether or not they're tipping enough.
Interesting. I rarely see anything like that. And I hope folks don't get me wrong. We do tips for services, BUT it varies on the service, not what is considered "typical". Sometimes it is 25%, sometimes it might be 5%. On rare occasions it is ZERO! I realize that many hard working people depend on tips. However sad that businesses don't do their share in many cases.

Reactions: CSFTN

I concur.

I had a similar discussion with my barber recently. I had been pressing on him to get a card reader along with a few other customers. He mentioned that he didn't like putting his money in banks only to be charged fees, etc. Very old school mentality, but I understand how he feels, so I just let it go. I did go on to mention to him that his tip is paid to the atm machine every time I'm charged $3.00 for going there since I literally don't take out cash for anything else.

Being overseas for 3 years really got me accustomed to not tipping, it's almost frowned upon in England. Nobody tips me for doing my job...

I concur.

Being overseas for 3 years really got me accustomed to not tipping, it's almost frowned upon in England. Nobody tips me for doing my job...
in tokyo I had a server stop me at the door to return the little money I left on the table. in europe I leave the small change on the table. In london I had a porter refuse a tip for bringing my bags to the doors when the street I was on was closed a half of a block from my destination.

Last edited:
Interesting. I rarely see anything like that. And I hope folks don't get me wrong. We do tips for services, BUT it varies on the service, not what is considered "typical". Sometimes it is 25%, sometimes it might be 5%. On rare occasions it is ZERO! I realize that many hard working people depend on tips. However sad that businesses don't do their share in many cases.
It's not so much that this restaurant is including an arbitrary "tip" amount into their pricing but, rather, that they are paying their employees fairly and providing them with benefits. In order to do so, their pricing reflects the costs associated with this. It's a French restaurant and the owners are French, so I guess they just have a different philosophy about how their employees should be treated and compensated.

I agree that that tipping should just be a "thank you" between customer and server; it should not be an excuse used by the establishment to underpay their employees because their income is expected to be supplemented by tips.

Last edited:
Our ingrained thought process is a 20% tip when eating out. Now, when I get lousy service I want to cut that back but my wife (the one with a heart) always feels bad for them. :mad:
Humans do not turn down money
Instead of stiffing the server on a tip, talk to them or the manager about what you didn't like. How can you expect them to change if you just give them less tip. They might think you're cheap.

I've given a $0.01 tip when I was pissed off at service, with a few comments jotted down on the receipt in the past. :blush: It's better than no tip!

Instead of stiffing the server on a tip, talk to them or the manager about what you didn't like. How can you expect them to change if you just give them less tip. They might think you're cheap.

I've given a $0.01 tip when I was pissed off at service, with a few comments jotted down on the receipt in the past. :blush: It's better than no tip!
the problem with stiffing the server is that sometimes the issues are not caused by your server, it could be a slow bartender or a disorganized kitchen that made your service less than perfect.

Reactions: BluestarE3

I have done that as well. But usually if it's so bad IDK if they need a reminder. I am easy to please, sent back a meal maybe ONCE in my whole life. If I am unhappy then they must be really bad at their job :)

the problem with stiffing the server is that sometimes the issues are not caused by your server, it could be a slow bartender or a disorganized kitchen that made your service less than perfect.
I agree. I wasn't advocating for stiffing servers, I was advocating for talking to management and telling them what sucks.

^^ This

Ate in an authentic Mexican restaurant in Vallejo CA many years ago. As we approached the building, a group of 8 people were leaving. a few seconds later, a young woman server bolted out of the door, screaming at the group that were now a few doors away, and threw a handful of change at them. I won't repeat what she said ;)

Turned out they were short 2 servers and a line cook that night, and she was waiting on all the tables She apologized for the outburst outside, explaining the group had been really rude when they weren't served as fast as they should have been, and left her about 30 cents in mostly pennies and nickles.

I bought storage cabinets for the garage at Home Depot last week, and asked for help loading them in the MS. Two guys wheeled them out and carefully lifted them into the trunk, after first saying, "no way these are going to fit in there!" Surprise, they fit fine! As they turned to leave, I said "hold up" and pulled my wallet out to tip them as they were very careful and they were heavy, awkward boxes. Guy thanked me, but declined, stating they were not allowed to accept tips.

I remember sitting next to another table of Americans in a restaurant in Europe and the dad flags down the waiter to ask him how he should indicate the tip amount on the tab since there's no line item for it. The waiter seemed puzzled by the question and told the customer no tip was expected. And, in a nutshell, I think that's the reason tipping is so dysfunctional here: It is expected. There's a line item specifically for it on your tab; there's a tip jar next to the cash register. Since it is expected, employers are allowed (and do) pay their employees less. Since it is expected, a server may feel slighted if there is no tip or if the amount is deemed inadequate (especially if the service issue was through no fault of their own). On the other hand, if it is not expected, then wages will have to be adjusted accordingly. If it's not expected, then on those rare occasions when a server does receive a tip, it will be more meaningful for both the giver and the recipient.

Last edited: