TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How much weight can the frunk support?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Nauti-Boy, May 30, 2018.

1. Nauti-Boy

Nauti-Boy Member

Hello Teslers. I would like to put an electric scooter in the frunk. The scooter weighs about 50lbs. Would the frunk be able to support that weight. Dont know where to look for this info.

2. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Falcor

I'm not sure what the max wt is, but I don't see why not. I have definitely come close to 50 lbs for road trips without any issue. Are you planning on doing this as a permanent solution or just to move the scooter from a to b once?

3. Nauti-Boy

Nauti-Boy Member

I am doing the permanently so I may use the scooter to get around when I am charging. The reason I am asking about the weight is I want to make sure the scooter is not compressing the floor area against any electronics underneath it that may effect the normal operation of the car

4. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Falcor

I couldn't find anything in the manual, but this guy was talking about putting >200 lbs in the frunk. People chimed in and seemed to think the frunk on a model S had a load rating of 300 lbs. Assuming that is accurate, I would assume the model x is same or greater. So, 50 lbs shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I would call your service center to double check. 50 lbs doesn't seem like much, but who knows.

5. idoco

idoco Member

I think you're fine with 50 lbs. On our recent cross country trip we had at least 25 lbs of dog food, a 15 lb extension cord, and at least 20 - 30 lbs more of "stuff" in the frunk at any given time.

6. Big John

Big John Member

Thinking of doing the same thing. Do you have a pic or link to the scooter you are considering? Obviously a folding model..

7. Nauti-Boy

Nauti-Boy Member

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I will give SC a call.

Big John. Here is a pic of my scooter

FB_IMG_1527744584705.jpg

8. Nauti-Boy

Nauti-Boy Member

9. chris5639

chris5639 Member

Take a look at this video, at 5:16. This is what is under the frunk plastic tub. I've done this exact procedure to put a filter in my X and I can tell you the tub itself is really solid and it sits on, and screws into, the car's frame on both sides. I personally would have no concerns putting a 50 lb scooter in the frunk especially since that weight is distributed over the entire tub.

10. Nauti-Boy

Nauti-Boy Member

That is very helpful. Thank you. I feel more confident in doing so now.

11. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

50lbs is nothing for the front trunk. I've loaded up more than that in luggage with zero issue.

• Informative x 1