Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much will the battery drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I don’t have my MX 75D yet. My delivery date is scheduled for 9/29. The next day after taking delivery of the MX. I have a planned business trip and will need to park the MX at the airport for 4days. I need help to figure out how much battery I will lose by just parking the car and not charging it. I don’t want to come back to a very low battery.

We just finished a 12 day vacation, with our 2018 X 100D parked at an airport garage.

This was the first long trip when we would park our new X, so we were concerned about "vampire drain" at the garage; our first S P85 would see 3 to 7 miles of range lost per day.

So we charged our X close to 100% (about 290 miles of range) and then drove to the airport. We parked in a covered garage, on the 2nd floor, in an interior space (where the sun wouldn't hit it). Exterior temperatures during the trip were likely in the range of 75-90 for most of the trip. We enabled range mode, disabled overheat protection, disabled preconditioning, and turned off the climate system. [MCU2 vehicles don't have the "Always Connected" and energy savings features on the Displays setting page, that is available for the MCU1 vehicles.]

We left the car with about 255 miles of range - when we returned from our trip - I think we had 235-240 miles of range. So we were losing only around 1 mile of range per day.

Which far exceeded our expectations!

As long as you aren't at a low battery charge level, 4 days of parking at an airport should be fine - even if you have to park outside or in high/low temperatures (that will require some charge to keep the battery pack at operating temperature level).

• Informative
Reactions: BoerumHill
Hi, I don’t have my MX 75D yet. My delivery date is scheduled for 9/29. The next day after taking delivery of the MX. I have a planned business trip and will need to park the MX at the airport for 4days. I need help to figure out how much battery I will lose by just parking the car and not charging it. I don’t want to come back to a very low battery.
You didn't indicate which airport that you are flying out of, but look at parking options at the airport, most larger airports have parking providers that will allow you to plug in, or rotate your car through their charger.
In Atlanta, we have Peachy Parking that provides both inside and outside parking. The Inside parking has 1 wall with 120V plugs and is marked for electric only. No additional charge. Lot's of Leafs and Tesla always lined up.

I have an MX75 and a while ago went on a long (3.5 week) business trip.
I parked my car in a parking building and walked away (I didn't change any settings).
Here is the graph of vampiric energy drain.
Vampiric Drain

As you can see - energy dropped more quickly for the first week, then the car seemed to go
into deeper sleep, except when checking for updates.

4 days of battery loss will be minimal - probably < 30 kms. In my graph, I could have got another
6 weeks thanks to the deeper sleep.

This was more drain than we saw on our recent 12 day trip, so there appears to be some benefits in changing the settings before parking long term - turning off climate/overheat/pre-conditioning.

Plus we didn't check on the car until late in the trip - so it went over a week without any connection attempts from us, which might also have helped keep the car in deep sleep mode longer.

• Informative
Reactions: MJGolf and jboy210
@bob_p
You are probably right - settings changes might help. I'm keen to try that on my next long trip
(assuming my wife lets me store the car - she's kinda keen on driving it when I'm
not using it :)).

I didn't check the car for the first week either - but there was still more drain early on.
I checked daily after that, and the drain was definitely reduced.

• Funny
Reactions: MJGolf
What we did was a short test when we knew we weren't going to use the car for 24-48 hours. Got it charged, changed the settings to max energy savings, and then unplugged the car for an extended period - and confirmed that we were getting about 1 mile of lost range per day.

Since this was the first time we were going to park the X at the airport for an extended period - wanted to get some confidence before the trip that we'd be OK, though I still charged to 100% before leaving the house, just in case...

This was more drain than we saw on our recent 12 day trip, so there appears to be some benefits in changing the settings before parking long term - turning off climate/overheat/pre-conditioning.

Plus we didn't check on the car until late in the trip - so it went over a week without any connection attempts from us, which might also have helped keep the car in deep sleep mode longer.

Thank you! I’ll be sure to turn off the climate/overheat/pre-conditioning settings. My car will be parked under covered canopy. So, there’s not much concnern about overheat, especially, here in the Bay Area (Oakland Airport).

You didn't indicate which airport that you are flying out of, but look at parking options at the airport, most larger airports have parking providers that will allow you to plug in, or rotate your car through their charger.
In Atlanta, we have Peachy Parking that provides both inside and outside parking. The Inside parking has 1 wall with 120V plugs and is marked for electric only. No additional charge. Lot's of Leafs and Tesla always lined up.

Good point. I’m flying out of Oakland Airport and will be parked at one of the area’s long term parking lots. After reading the responses here, I did a research and located a parking place with free EV charging services. Your tip here is very helpful... Still adjusting to the new way of life.

It's much easier than in the early days with our 2012 S P85. As I recall, daily vampire drain could be as much as 7-10 miles.

Since then, the software has improved, and it's possible MCU2 in the newer cars may reduce vampire drain even more.

We saw 1-2 miles of lost range per day over a 12 day period, using a combination of parking inside (out of the sun/weather), turning off the climate system, disabling overheat protection/preconditioning, and enabling the energy saving mode. Plus, I only checked on the charge level remotely 2 or 3 times during the trip.

1-2% loss of charge would be 3-5 miles of lost range per day, which is significantly more than what we saw during our recent extended parking.

Also Energy Savings = on, and Always Connected = off.

Most important is to make sure there is no unshielded fob within about 20' of the car. My X wakes up all through the day as I walk around the house. One night at my son's house we slept directly over the garage my X was parked in. Even though the fob was motionless in my pants pocket, the car woke up a few times during the night (per TeslaFi). So even a motionless fob in a room adjacent to the car can periodically wake it up.

Of course don't start logging with TeslaFi or any other logging service until you have time to get the settings right to allow the car to sleep.

MCU2 vehicles don't have the Energy Savings/Always Connected settings on the Display settings page. It's no longer possible to control those settings, hopefully that means Tesla redesigned the MCU to get it to use less power in sleep mode.

Far and away the biggest energy suck is driving. If you want to limit energy consumed, park the car and walk to work. Seriously though, anything other than driving is insignificant. Even leaving climate on for hours, does not consume much.