Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Much Will This Body Damage Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a tragedy today. My gate malfunctioned and started closing as I was driving in and hit the side of my car. I am really upset as the car is about a month old and I've been really careful. I'm hoping to get it fixed out of pocket so it doesn't show up on the insurance.

The paint is fine, its just dented in. Anyone have any idea on how much this will cost approximately?

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-19 at 8.34.24 PM(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-19 at 8.34.23 PM(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-19 at 8.34.24 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-19 at 8.34.23 PM.jpeg

2--8K.

2K if you go the PDR route and find a shop capable and willing to play.

4K if you do a non Tesla certified repair, filler, repaint and all.

8K if you go Tesla-certified route and the insurance claim route. Front fender is PnP bolt-on but will need proper sealing and repaint. Most of the cost here is labor plus insurance milking.

2--8K.

8K if you go Tesla-certified route and the insurance claim route. Front fender is PnP bolt-on but will need proper sealing and repaint. Most of the cost here is labor plus insurance milking.

Wow that is a lot more than what I was expecting... There is no paint damage and its jut dented in. Still $2k min?

Are you handy? If so, you could find a used fender painted the same color and it wouldn't be too hard to replace yourself. Tesla puts on pre-painted bumpers all day long, so you could do the same with the fender. Shouldn't be too expensive for a used fender from a salvage lot. Tesla has been pumping out a ton of white M3's, so they are probably littering the salvage lots by now.

You will be hard pressed to find a PDR person that is willing to take on that kind of job. They have to use special techniques of heating the paint so it doesn't crack. I had a PDR guy do a dent just like that, and the paint cracked. But if you do find someone that can do it, $2K would be way too much to pay them to fix the fender. It should be a few hundred at most since they usually do all the dings in a panel for $80-100/panel.

Reactions: Perscitus
Dings, dents sure, all day everyday - but for this kind of damage, a PDR magician perfectionist with a huge dose of OCD would be needed. $$$$ for the skill and labor.

A few videos of such work on a Model 3 (typically quarter panel or even door outter sheeting) can be found littered all over youtube and similar. The length of the videos is enough to give away the cost.

Agreed that a replacement fender pulled off the growing heap of totaled Model 3s (many of them white) would be ideal.

Any decent garage can replace that at a reasonable cost,well below 1K USD (it bolts right up) so long as they dont run away scared at the sight of an EV or slap on the Tesla tax.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
2--8K.

You must be quoting body shops that only work on Bugatti, Lamborghini, or Rolls Royce. Your prices are INSANE and not even close to norm.

$500 PDR from a mobile one. Maybe a little more or a little less.

Its a dented fender. You dont need a Tesla certified shop. Go the pdr route. If it's too far dented then buy a different fender and have it painted. Swap it out. $1,000 or less all day long. Or get a white one from ebay or "tesla parts buy sell trade" on facebook.

People quoting $2k are crazy.

Reactions: jawnly211
I had very minor bumper scratch and scuffs from some old lady who backed into my M3P (good thing it was caught on sentry mode). Not much damage to the bumper but just paint damage. What I found out, 50% of the shops won't even do my M3P because there are sensors, camera, and special wires all over the car. Once they remove the bumper (not certified), they could void the car warranty. (I don't know how true that is). Of the shops who actually gave me a quote, two without certification quoted about $1.4K. The only one that was tesla certified quotes about $2.4k. I could see that the certified body shop had a lot of teslas (20+) in the lot.

The job was to remove the bumper and smooth out the scratches and repaint. (Definitely much less work than yours). I am in San Francisco Bay Area so you can factor in the high cost of living.

But I have no doubt this could easily set you back for at least $2K. And you prob won't trust the shop which does for less than $2K.

This was an interesting lesson that l learned: Tesla repair cost is a lot (2 to 3X) and also very long time (1 month+) compared to ICE cars due to the lack of certified technicians.

But the above is for bodyshop since they can restore almost 100%. Cheapest route is prob bring it to dent repair shop which prob cost $200. But you are looking at about 90% fix. If you are a picky person, you will look at that spot everytime you walk to or leave the car because you know it's there.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I had quarter panel damage plus tail light damage. 8 K to repair. Keep in mind the quarter panel runs nearly the length of the car. Tesla approved body shop probably would charge 4k. Just a guess.

I had a tragedy today. My gate malfunctioned and started closing as I was driving in and hit the side of my car. I am really upset as the car is about a month old and I've been really careful. I'm hoping to get it fixed out of pocket so it doesn't show up on the insurance.

The paint is fine, its just dented in. Anyone have any idea on how much this will cost approximately?

You still driving around with a dented fender?

I had quarter panel damage plus tail light damage. 8 K to repair. Keep in mind the quarter panel runs nearly the length of the car. Tesla approved body shop probably would charge 4k. Just a guess.

rear quarter? Way different than a front fender. Tesla wants replacements of everything and the car is coming apart to do that. Front fender is bolted in and an easy swap.

Tesla approved body shops charge more money than non Tesla shops 99% of the time.

For anyone wondering. Here are some before and afters of the paint less dent removal. I actually just had it done today and the guy did a good job for the most part. The issue was that under the fender liner there is actually another metal plate against the fender, if that wasn't there he would have got it 100%. He did chip the paint a tiny dot at one spot (you can see it on the pic) but I've ordered some touch up paint for that so I don't think it'll be a huge issue. $200 Cad as opposed to body shops that quoted me $600-$1200.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-18 at 7.35.23 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-18 at 7.35.24 PM.jpeg

rear quarter? Way different than a front fender. Tesla wants replacements of everything and the car is coming apart to do that. Front fender is bolted in and an easy swap.

Tesla approved body shops charge more money than non Tesla shops 99% of the time.
Yeah, but non Tesla approved body shop can’t get parts