TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How Much would you pay for a Autopilot Retrofit? POLL

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by islandbayy, Oct 14, 2015.

?

How much would you pay to have Autopilot Retrofitted?

1. 0-3k

16.7%
  2. 4-6k

13.3%
  3. 7-9k

16.7%
  4. 10k

23.3%
  5. 11-13k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 14-16k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 17-20k

10.0%
  8. No Way I'd Pay At All, I'm Cheap, It should be free upgrade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Limited Upgrade just to get TACC

3.3%
  10. No, I will NOT upgrade at all.

16.7%
  1. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

How much would you pay (nor not upgrade) to have your existing Model S Autopilot Retrofitted?

2. Kalud

Kalud Member

3. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

If I could do it for $2500-$3000 I'd save up and do it...but it'll never be anywhere near that cheap so the real answer is I won't update at any price. I'd rather trade in for a new car.

4. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I personally voted $10k. I have ~10k in referral credits and would give em all to get autopilot upgrade. I'd probably pay same out of pocket, but would need to wait to collect the cash. Personally, even though trading in and purchasing another would get me a new car, the hit I'd take on Mileage (72,000 Miles) basically kills my trade in (tesla already wouldn't give much) and private party is beating a dead horse. so for the cost of a brand new sub-compact, it would bring my car up to current.

5. taurusking

taurusking Member

islandbayy::: Is this even possible...I did reply to poll and chose $7-9K

6. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

The problem with this poll is that one can be completely unrealistic. A retrofit is likely in the $15-20k range, if not more. New front and rear bumpers, new windscreen with new camera in the mirror assembly, new radar, new ultrasonic sensors, new wiring harness, and so forth. The labor alone would be in the many of thousands.

7. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Wouldn't upgrade to just get the limited capability of lane keeping / changing autopilot and TACC. There's been so many updates, I'd rather just trade the classic S in and upgrade. Everything from folding mirrors, parking sensors, rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, autopilot, "D", next gen seats, LTE upgrade, LCD upgrade and more were introduced since 2012/2013.

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I was lucky. Made it by two days.

9. Greg R

Greg R Member

how do I know if mine has the necessary sensors?

10. Troy

Troy Member

You obviously have it because all Tesla cars after Oct 2014 have the hardware. In case others are not sure, the rectangle thing in this image is the front radar. Any MS that has this, has all the autopilot sensors.

Pt7ET0I.png

11. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

The AP stuff, with maybe the exception of the emergency braking, does not interest me, so I have no interest in upgrading. I think the other thing to bear in mind is all the other incremental changes made to the car over since pre-AP days--at some point it seems to make more sense to just trade-in and get a new car.