Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Much Would You Pay for a Premium Interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla offered a P85D with a Mercedes S 500\ BMW 750 type interior, how much more premium would you pay?

In fact, there are many cars that I like but now after being exposed to the Tesla there always is a caveat.

"I really like that (insert brand and car here), I just wish it had the Tesla P85D drivetrain"!

ICE is becoming oh so primitive.

Traded "up" from Mercedes GLK with AMG package to a 2013 CPO Tesla Model S 85.
Would never go back.

We are thrilled with our Tesla, and the so-called luxury of the Mercedes was lost on me when there was a constant need to do non-luxurious things like stand in the cold to refuel and get smelly gas on my hands for example.

In fact, there are many cars that I like but now after being exposed to the Tesla there always is a caveat.

"I really like that (insert brand and car here), I just wish it had the Tesla P85D drivetrain"!

ICE is becoming oh so primitive.

I agree that there are other car interiors I prefer, but I don't know if I'd pay a premium for it in a Tesla. I have often thought a business model for Tesla might be to expand their powertrain business kinda like they did with the Rav4 and little Mercedes.

Same here as brickfrenzy. I didn't spring for alcantara or leather, I wouldn't pay for a higher end interior.

Now a different interpretation of the question. If Tesla cost more because it had a more luxurious interior standard, how much more would I have paid to attain this car? I may have ended up with a 60 instead.

Not a matter of how much I pay but I wish the Premium interior actually was more premium. Currently it is a marginal upgrade but I'd still pay for it to get the power lift gate and the half way done Ambient Lighting.

I'd gladly pay even more for the Premium Interior if it at least approached the luxuriousness of a Mercedes S class. It was disappointing to learn the ambient lighting in the Model S does not light the foot wells. Even a basic C class offers this nicety standard.

I know they are really busy with the Model X now but when that is done, I wish they'd elevate the luxury of the Model S interior and perhaps combine that with a trim matched center console. I know the Model S is better even without that but sooner or later they will have to improve the interior to appeal to those who by higher end Audi and Mercedes offerings. The only gripe I ever hear about the Model S from those who are cross shopping it with other sedans in that segment is about the somewhat Spartan interior of the Model S.

I still think the Model S is the best car in the world but with a better interior it could be ever better. Maybe they should make that package $4,500 and do more to improve the interior. And add some lights to the front foot wells for ambient lighting and make the LED color adjustable so you can select a nice shade of amber that does not interfere with your night vision. The interior of the S class at night is sublime...

I'm not interested in Tesla imitating a Mercedes or Audi interior. I like the minimalist design. Besides, Tesla has enough to do now with getting the Model X out and the Model 3 soon after that. I wouldn't want them to waste bandwidth on this.

If someone is cross-shopping a Model S with Audi or Mercedes and is making a decision based on the interior, then they really don't get the whole EV thing, do they?

Not interested in a gadget cluttered full of stuff looking interior, like the clean simple look of the Model S interior. I know some think it looks cheap for a $90k plus vehicle, but I like it and this car is not about the interior alone. Many other great qualities going on, a fellow I know who can afford anything he wants purchased a Masserati because he thought the about about the Tesla interior. He did not get what Tesla was all about.

Besides the current 'premium interior', which costs 3K, I'd like to,
- Have heated and cooled seats, and heated and cooled drink holders
- Massaging seats
- Better quality leather (padded and perforated)
- Better steering wheel (wooden perhaps and heated)
- Better interior lighting.
- Better sound system.

For all of the above, instead of a 3K premium, I'd be willing to pay a 10K premium.
Add another 1K for built in 360 degree dashcam.
Add another 5K for electrochromic windows.

I'm not interested in Tesla imitating a Mercedes or Audi interior. I like the minimalist design. Besides, Tesla has enough to do now with getting the Model X out and the Model 3 soon after that. I wouldn't want them to waste bandwidth on this.

If someone is cross-shopping a Model S with Audi or Mercedes and is making a decision based on the interior, then they really don't get the whole EV thing, do they?

Well, you do realize that there is no this "whole EV thing" with Tesla right? What they have built is the world's best car without compromise. There are many who I'm sure would buy this car because it is the best car available to buy at any price point and not just because it is an EV. Hoping people will buy a car just because it is an EV is the reason EVs never took off prior to the Model S.

You may be perfectly content with the Model S interior as it stands now but for those customers who are coming from a high end Mercedes or Audi, the Model S interior can seem a bit Spartan by comparison and not as luxurious.

Go read the Mercedes W222 forum. There are plenty of people who would rather buy a 2015 S Class because they prefer the interior. I realize Tesla is production constrained now but at some point they will have to appeal to the market of premium car buyers who are used to a better interior. Tesla already has a Premium Package to make the interior of the car better to appeal to those buyers who value a premium interior. Unfortunately as it is, what is mostly premium about the current Model S Premium Package is the price.

As I said earlier, they should refine the interior of the Model S when they get around to it so those who are used to a nicer car interior can pay extra... I push and recommend the Model S to anyone I know who is looking to buy a premium car. I can decimate any argument they give me for not getting a model S. The only argument I can't in good faith rebut is when they talk about the Model S interior. I then try to sell them on the drivetrain and the driving experience but that argument does not resonate with everyone.

On the plus side I am glad with what they've done with the Next Gen Seats.

Last edited:
Besides the current 'premium interior', which costs 3K, I'd like to,
- Have heated and cooled seats, and heated and cooled drink holders
- Massaging seats
- Better quality leather (padded and perforated)
- Better steering wheel (wooden perhaps and heated)
- Better interior lighting.
- Better sound system.

For all of the above, instead of a 3K premium, I'd be willing to pay a 10K premium.
Add another 1K for built in 360 degree dashcam.
Add another 5K for electrochromic windows.

+1 to everything you said. As I keep saying, you are one smart Kuttakamina :)

I think around $6-7K is going to be a limit for most when it comes to a Premium Interior. I bet they can sell it for around that much but they really need to up their game with that options package so that it is at least somewhat competitive with the premium interior of a high end Audi or Mercedes.

One more point, and I think I've made this in another thread already. When I was car shopping I was comparing the Tesla to the Audi S4 (2/3 of the Tesla's price tag). The Audi has a noticeably nicer interior. So you don't even have to compare it to another 100k car.

+1 to everything you said. As I keep saying, you are one smart Kuttakamina :)

I think around $6-7K is going to be a limit for most when it comes to a Premium Interior. I bet they can sell it for around that much but they really need to up their game with that options package so that it is at least somewhat competitive with the premium interior of a high end Audi or Mercedes.

Hehe :) .. my mom thinks so too :)

- - - Updated - - -

Steering wheel is heated.

Yup! But I meant just include it with premium interior, not as a seperate option.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay any more than I did for my P85D, but for the money, I'd like sure to see some more basic interior features:

• lighted vanity mirrors
  • coat hooks
  • passenger assist handles
  • rear seat beverage holders
  • rear seat heater controls accessible from rear seat