Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Much Would You Pay for a Premium Interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay any more than I did for my P85D, but for the money, I'd like sure to see some more basic interior features:

• lighted vanity mirrors
  • coat hooks
  • passenger assist handles
  • rear seat beverage holders
  • rear seat heater controls accessible from rear seat

You've hit on every issue on my wish list (I'd even be ok with omitting the last one). I'd add, beverage holders IN A LOGICAL PLACE in the front, and maybe some storage in the center console area.

You've hit on every issue on my wish list (I'd even be ok with omitting the last one). I'd add, beverage holders IN A LOGICAL PLACE in the front, and maybe some storage in the center console area.
Similar feeling here. I like the current config. It's nice enough to not feel cheap, but simple enough that it's still pretty inexpensive. Sure, having everything wrapped in leather looks nice, but realistically I only touch the stuff around the steering wheel and the door. I don't care if the entire dash or random components around the vehicle are extra expensive feeling.

Further, the ability to get textile seats was a huge motivating factor for me. I get all sweaty and uncomfortable in leather seats. A vehicle with leather seating has less value to me than one with textile (alcantara-like stuff is fine).

I do commonly wish for a few comforts, though. The cupholders, as noted, are terrible and the lack of them in the rear is a near-constant annoyance for my passengers, but I need the center for a carseat so options are limited. We can't fit both two pairs of sunglasses in their cases anywhere in the passenger compartment without just leaving them on the floor... a tolerable situation likely made more frustrating by the fact that we know the armrest cavity is almost completely empty wasted space (there's some AC ducting).

So there's some stuff I would have paid more for, but the kind of stuff you think of when you say "premium interior" isn't among them.

Have some of you sat in an S class lately? Friggin' interior is beautiful...like art! At the end of the day, I can't imagine the vast majority of the population not preferring it and if Tesla were to have introduced an equivalent interior with their Model S I'm sure NO ONE would be complaining. Indeed, I would suspect most buyers are selecting the next gen seats now too despite their more "conventional" looks.

I would have been willing to pay more for a more premium interior. I can't say how much more without knowing what would have been included, but as long as it didn't seem like a complete waste of money, I probably would have gone ahead and paid it.

Some here are prepared to pay for more refinements in luxury, others happy just the way it is. Most would prefer to pay the same or pay less for more luxury I am sure.

If Tesla wants to remain a world-class car and expand sales in the six figure range, the interior needs to be comparable and competitive. If you come from a Prius to a Tesla, you would not perceive a problem, from a luxury car you will. The owners of euro luxury cars are a big pool of potential buyers accustom to higher price points. Many of these owners perceive or would perceive the current interior as a step down. Seats, road noise and all the little refinements are not yet up to par and costing Tesla sales.

Some here are prepared to pay for more refinements in luxury, others happy just the way it is. Most would prefer to pay the same or pay less for more luxury I am sure.

If Tesla wants to remain a world-class car and expand sales in the six figure range, the interior needs to be comparable and competitive. If you come from a Prius to a Tesla, you would not perceive a problem, from a luxury car you will. The owners of euro luxury cars are a big pool of potential buyers accustom to higher price points. Many of these owners perceive or would perceive the current interior as a step down. Seats, road noise and all the little refinements are not yet up to par and costing Tesla sales.

My biggest immediate interior issue is road noise in my P85. I have the 21s and on all but the smoothest roads it is fairly loud once you hit 55mph or faster.

Outside of that issue I would like: more sound proofing - vanity mirrors with lights - larger visors - coat hangers - passenger assist handles - interior storage in the armrest - more apps (and tweaking to the existing ones) - better a/c system. I think a nominal charge for these improvements would be fine.

S class like seats and revised air vents could be nice if done right (form and function). I'm sure something like that would be a fairly expensive option, but it would be nice to have that option.
I do wonder how much weight an S class like interior would add though. Maybe the question is, would you accept lower range for a premium interior comparable to a S class.

Having said all that, I still really think the P85 is great. Now that the Model S has been out for awhile it's natural to want to see improvements. Tesla did the hardest part just getting open for business and shipping a great product. Now they need to concentrate on refining it.

Last edited:
I also like the Tesla interior. Few buttons, and the large LED display for most functions.

Remember that an equalivent car to the P85D would be the S600 mercedes. This car gets 13 mpg on premium, compared to 99empg for the Tesla. Gotta have some priorities here.

Have some of you sat in an S class lately? Friggin' interior is beautiful...like art! At the end of the day, I can't imagine the vast majority of the population not preferring it and if Tesla were to have introduced an equivalent interior with their Model S I'm sure NO ONE would be complaining. Indeed, I would suspect most buyers are selecting the next gen seats now too despite their more "conventional" looks.

This interior?

2015_mercedes_benz_s_class_dashboard.jpg

I would be hard pressed to find an interior i would like less thank this...

If I had to mention another interior I like it would probably be the BMW i3 one.

2014_bmw_i3_149_1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
Besides the current 'premium interior', which costs 3K, I'd like to,
- Have heated and cooled seats, and heated and cooled drink holders
- Massaging seats
- Better quality leather (padded and perforated)
- Better steering wheel (wooden perhaps and heated)
- Better interior lighting.
- Better sound system.

For all of the above, instead of a 3K premium, I'd be willing to pay a 10K premium.
Add another 1K for built in 360 degree dashcam.
Add another 5K for electrochromic windows.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay any more than I did for my P85D, but for the money, I'd like sure to see some more basic interior features:

• lighted vanity mirrors
  • coat hooks
  • passenger assist handles
  • rear seat beverage holders
  • rear seat heater controls accessible from rear seat

Outside of that issue I would like: more sound proofing - vanity mirrors with lights - larger visors - coat hangers - passenger assist handles - interior storage in the armrest - more apps (and tweaking to the existing ones) - better a/c system.

Basically all of this. Things like lighted vanity mirrors, integrated storage in door panels/armrest, coat hooks and better lighting are not even items that would drive significant cost increases. Cooled seats and more functional a/c would be worth more money for me for sure.

I also like the Tesla interior. Few buttons, and the large LED display for most functions.

I like/appreciate the current interior because it is devoid of the buttons/switches/general busyness of the above photos.

I also agree with this. The clean lines of the dash because everything is run through the touchscreen are a major advantage for the Tesla and I'd hate to see that aspect of the design changed at all. However, there could be some better materials and features without changing the design aesthetic at all

Basically all of this. Things like lighted vanity mirrors, integrated storage in door panels/armrest, coat hooks and better lighting are not even items that would drive significant cost increases. Cooled seats and more functional a/c would be worth more money for me for sure.

I also agree with this. The clean lines of the dash because everything is run through the touchscreen are a major advantage for the Tesla and I'd hate to see that aspect of the design changed at all. However, there could be some better materials and features without changing the design aesthetic at all
+1. The question for me is "how much" more? Frankly, these would not change my purchase decision. After all their absence is not a secret. Still, in this price class we have come to expect all these things, or almost all. The new BMW 7-Series seems to be moving towards even better features, all the high end cars are more advanced with driver automation than are our S's.

With the X introduction Tesla is migrating to near mainstream status. Now is the time to adopt best-of-breed across the board, not only about the drivetrain.

i feel a little guilty complaining when I love my car so much. Still, at P90D hitting near $140,000 in the U.S. There is not too much room for deficiencies of creature comforts.

I'm not interested in Tesla imitating a Mercedes or Audi interior. I like the minimalist design...
If someone is cross-shopping a Model S with Audi or Mercedes and is making a decision based on the interior, then they really don't get the whole EV thing, do they?
Spot on. The first time I saw the S interior I thought "Perfect!" A triumph of form and function.
This has been discussed many times on TMC. If someone is seriously considering a high end MB or Audi or BMW and are drawn to them over the Model S in part because they have a plusher more tricked out interior than they fail to grasp the significance of what Tesla has accomplished with their electric drivetrain and Supercharger network. and they might as well buy the ICE with the interior gimmicks instead.

If someone is cross-shopping a Model S with Audi or Mercedes and is making a decision based on the interior, then they really don't get the whole EV thing, do they?
Yes, but... the real point of threads such as this one, IMHO, is that tesla is rapidly becoming a legitimate mainstream choice. As that happens the marketing question becomes removing objections. We already have a magnificent car; we all probably believe that else we would not be here. Still, mainstream sales demand mainstream accomplishments together with the indisputable capabilities and elegance of our cars. From my view, we are now in search of becoming a car with very few or no objections to nonEV people.

Spot on. The first time I saw the S interior I thought "Perfect!" A triumph of form and function.
This has been discussed many times on TMC. If someone is seriously considering a high end MB or Audi or BMW and are drawn to them over the Model S in part because they have a plusher more tricked out interior than they fail to grasp the significance of what Tesla has accomplished with their electric drivetrain and Supercharger network. and they might as well buy the ICE with the interior gimmicks instead.

For you, the interior may be perfect and spot on. Some people prefer a more base model and are happy to pay less. If you are a repeat luxury car buyer many will prefer not to step down or compromise in any quality, comfort or feature category. The perception of a step down or sacrifice may not always be a deal killer but it can and does hurt sales.

To say that the Tesla seat is perfect may not be accurate if you have ever sat in and fully understood a 7 series comfort seat.

To promote that those wanting more refinement "fail to grasp the significance of what Tesla has accomplished" would not go over well if I was running a Tesla business development, sales or marketing meeting.

Last edited:

We all agree the Model S is the best sedan available to buy at any price. The issue has to do with expectations of premium car buyers who come to a Model S from a high end import from Germany. For most of them, the Model S interior, as modern as it is, is a step down. If you take away the 17" touchscreen the Model S interior is barely on par with an entry level premium car costing half of what the Model S costs. Again this might be acceptable to some, especially if you come from a Prius or other non luxury car but the point is as Tesla expands their market share they need to be able to appeal to more traditional premium car buyers.

In it's current form the Model S interior is lacking. I am glad Tesla is offering a Premium Interior option, but mostly the reason we'd get that is for LED lighting (which should really be standard, and still is missing foot well lighting in it's present implementation) and the power lift gate. The premium interior in my opinion, does little to elevate the interior of the Model S in any meaningful way other than a few strips of leather.

They also need to rework the interior ergonomics and storage space in the car. The current cup holder location is silly as it prevents you from using the armrest effectively. The rear passengers have no cup holders. Also the car is severely lacking in interior storage space. A comparable Mercedes model has plenty of storage space under the seat, in the door under the armrest, center console, as well as under the arm rests. You can deride these needs saying why would anyone need this but these are standard amnesties in a premium car interior.

Having said all this, the Model S is the world's best car. It can use some improvements in the interior luxury department though for premium car buyers who are used to a more luxurious interior. While they can offer a package to upgrade the leather in the car or some other nice amnesties to some level I feel a car of this price range should come standard with a premium interior. For example, even the most basic C Class comes standard with ambient lighting...

Does anyone expect any improvements or new options for the S interior simultaneous with X launch?

it strikes me that one reason Tesla may offer private configurations for the early X shipments (such as Founders, Signature, etc.) is they don't want or aren't ready to roll out some or all of the new features to people ordering an S this year.

I would pay extra NOT to have an interior like my mom's CLS55AMG. Too cramped and cluttered with buttons that take 3 or 4 pushes in a specific, non intuitive order to change a function. No thanks...

Except no one here is asking for buttons. We all love the 17" display and Tesla UI and it is the best car interface offered by anyone, and likely will get even better in Version 7. I agree that Mercedes' Command interface is horrible.

What just about everyone is saying is that most people who come from premium German luxury cars find the Model S interior to be quite Spartan and not as luxurious. It is a testament what a great car Tesla has built that many still decide to buy a Model S, even with the interior shortcomings. What many are saying is that this is an area needing of improvement and it takes nothing away from those who like the Model S as is.

I would pay extra NOT to have an interior like my mom's CLS55AMG. Too cramped and cluttered with buttons that take 3 or 4 pushes in a specific, non intuitive order to change a function. No thanks...

Fully agreeing with MSElectric on this one. No one is really complaining about styling, lack of buttons or the interface. Most complaints revolve around missing features that are "built in" like the quality of the seats and leather, seat cooling, soft close doors, lighted vanity mirrors, soundproofing, storage compartments, cupholders, coat hooks etc.

Let's not confuse styling and cluttered looks with luxury features and craftsmanship. Would you really pay extra not to have some of these missing features?