Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay for...[a used 2017 model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I’m considering buying another used model 3. What is a fair price for a 2017 long range rwd M3 with FSD and included connectivity?
I do want to eventually trade in for a cybertruck so don’t want to necessarily put extra money into the M3. Does being a 2017 (delivery was taking Jan 2018) reduce the value of the car??

Last edited:
All depends. Being an early production car, if in mint or near mint condition might actually increase the value (to someone, some collector).

Otherwise the usual factors apply - condition, mileage, wear/tear, accident history, repair quality (if applicable), battery degredation (hard to quantify), tire age/wear, suspension wear, early early production flaws (harshest suspension, v1 front and rear seats, etc) and pros (980 motors, pup packages, interior trim, pocket lights, homelink, foglights, etc).

Some say the 2017s are good, others prefer the production hell 2018s, 2019s, and others still have both a 2017 and a 2018/2019/2020/2021 and say both are ok or equally annoying or have traded in a 2017/2018 for a 2019/2020/2021 and swear by how much better the newer or post refresh cars are. YMMV.

Reactions: shanif
Hey guys. I’m considering buying another used model 3. What is a fair price for a 2017 long range rwd M3 with FSD and included connectivity?
I do want to eventually trade in for a cybertruck so don’t want to necessarily put extra money into the M3. Does being a 2017 (delivery was taking Jan 2018) reduce the value of the car??

Have you done what people normally do to research pricing (check kbb / nada / edmunds for used car prices for the car you are looking at)? Have you checked to see what similar cars are selling for, on onlyusedevs or ev cpo or something like that? All of that is going to be much better info that someone simply typing in a price here in this thread.

Have you done what people normally do to research pricing (check kbb / nada / edmunds for used car prices for the car you are looking at)? Have you checked to see what similar cars are selling for, on onlyusedevs or ev cpo or something like that? All of that is going to be much better info that someone simply typing in a price here in this thread.
I have done some research. I looked at kbb value for it and it’s comparable to 2018/2019 cars with similar specs. I just wanted to get what the general perception on a 2017 car was since there were only about 1800 car delivered in 2017 and they have obviously improved a bit since then. There aren’t many (any?) 2017 cars for sale that I saw. Not sure if that’s because early adopters are holding on to it.

All depends. Being an early production car, if in mint or near mint condition might actually increase the value (to someone, some collector).

Otherwise the usual factors apply - condition, mileage, wear/tear, accident history, repair quality (if applicable), battery degredation (hard to quantify), tire age/wear, suspension wear, early early production flaws (harshest suspension, v1 front and rear seats, etc) and pros (980 motors, pup packages, interior trim, pocket lights, homelink, foglights, etc).

Some say the 2017s are good, others prefer the production hell 2018s, 2019s, and others still have both a 2017 and a 2018/2019/2020/2021 and say both are ok or equally annoying or have traded in a 2017/2018 for a 2019/2020/2021 and swear by how much better the newer or post refresh cars are. YMMV.
It’s in pretty good condition, one owner, no accidents, and low mileage (28k).

that’s what I was trying to gauge- does being an early adopter car make it more valuable or less?

Tesla doesn't give any value for fsd in trade in cars right? To me it's not worth the money but that would go double if I was trading in eventually.

I don't think there is any real evidence one way or another on how Tesla values FSD on trades. Unless and until Tesla starts to give line by line breakdowns on trade values e.g., M3 LR AWD = $35,000......30,000 miles adds $1,800.....FSD adds $2,000.....etc., there is no way to know for sure.

I have a 2017 VIN 14** just over 30K miles (which will increase by at least 10k in June). Don't know the value, but not planning to sell. Last full charge resulted in 306 miles. Hard to tell degradation since over time Tesla kept bumping the high end (with software?). Rarely gets Supercharged. Most always kept to 90% charge. Been a good car and the new upgrades over time haven't persuaded me to trade up. Surprised only on 2nd set of tires. Only gripe is recent software shrinking the display typeface (now have a magnifying glass in the console and most warnings are ignored). Any car mfg been sued for intentional safety issues?
My wife is on her second MS, but she's a mileage 'hog'? 185k on the first and over 80k on the second.

Attachments

• C4EF795D-8FC7-4B70-809C-CD8359637CEB.jpeg
    C4EF795D-8FC7-4B70-809C-CD8359637CEB.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 62
I don't think there is any real evidence one way or another on how Tesla values FSD on trades. Unless and until Tesla starts to give line by line breakdowns on trade values e.g., M3 LR AWD = $35,000......30,000 miles adds $1,800.....FSD adds $2,000.....etc., there is no way to know for sure.
They have told people that trade it in that they don't value it at all. I would just sell private or to CarMax or similar for a much better price.

I don't think an early mass market car has any collector value. I would think low 30s would be a good price. Low mileage, 1/2 year of warranty remaining.

They have no collector value to us and today, but one day... plus given how people love to place value where there is none and are willing to pay for just about anything, I would not be surprised if these things (first 1-5K VINs) start to appreciate one day... maybe sooner than we all think.

2017 owner checking in! They are hard to price, a lot of places don’t even list 2017 as an option when I tried to get quotes a while back. If I was buying, I don’t think I would put a premium on a 2017 over a 2018 unless you were actually buying a very low mileage car then garaging it as a potential collector option.

Tesla offered a suspension changeout for free, so it may or may not have the harsh 1st run suspension. Other early bugs have probably been worked out and it is nice if it has the alcantara (mine does). 1st Gen seats are fine for me, but seats are personal, so probably have to sit in them to be sure.

I love my first production edition, was only tempted to upgrade once for a stealth performance, but that didn’t pencil out and I am glad I still have it.

They have told people that trade it in that they don't value it at all. I would just sell private or to CarMax or similar for a much better price.

What a particular Tesla sales advisor (or any salesperson for that matter) says doesn't necessarily make it so. I don't think Tesla sales advisors actually know how Tesla values trades.

I agree that Tesla can lowball on trade values and selling privately or to another dealer like Carvana, CarMax, etc. may be a better option but I still don't believe there is any firm evidence regarding how Tesla specifically values FSD on trades.