TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How much would you pay for an AutoPilot sensor retrofit?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by DaveVa, Oct 14, 2015.

1. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

I know it is not an offered option, but if you could - would you? I am original Signature Model S owner and would never part with my little part of history, but have to admit that I'm a little envious of the new features. Plus, until 7.1 comes out, I will likely have a big reminder that I don't have AutoPilot on my dash as I watch static picture of the car with no sensors...

Would you pay 10k for a sensor retrofit? 15? 20?

Just curious.

2. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

#2 techmaven, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Pick up a CPO that has autopilot features.

Edit: Ah, I see you have a signature model. Well, the Model S has undergone a lot of changes. Picking up a VIN # that is over 50,000 past yours is actually a very different car. But with a sig? I would switch to a newer CPO rather than upgrade for $15-20k.

My P85 is worth about $65k now. (sigh)
    A new 85D with my features + autopilot is $98,250 + $1,200 - $7,500 or about $92k (but doesn't include dual chargers)

That's $27k difference. But then, that's a new car with very few miles, reset warranty, autopilot, and all wheel drive. It has higher range, faster performance, and a new battery. $20k would be too expensive as it would be worth it to buy a new one instead. I suspect $10k is too low in terms of cost of upgrade. It's likely more like $15-20k, so it probably won't work out.

The cheapest P85 with autopilot at CPO is $87k (after credits) which is a difference of $22k. It has more features than my car, so the actual difference is less by about 4k, so the diff is $18k. That's tough to pay the upgrade cost.

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Keep in mind, it's not just the sensors. One of the big enablers for Autopilot is the iBooster brake system, with its much faster response. I don't know if that would be easier or harder to retrofit than the sensor packages, but you'd need it, too.
    Walter

4. invisik

invisik Member

I really think they should have a partial retrofit.... Tacc if you also want to buy a new bumper cover and the side collision indication for a couple grand(excluding the bumper cover)... The same side sensors in aftermarket kits are installed at independent shops (Mobile eye) so it must be able to be done fairly easily.....

I don't think I'd pay $10-$15 for full autopilot. Unless I knew I was keeping the car forever, I'll get them on my next car....
    -m

5. hipringles

hipringles Member

Not that much really, most of my driving is in town, so I would not use it much. For the novelty i'd be a few grand though

If my SC called me and said I had 30 days to decide for 5k i'd decline
    3k maybe.

TBH i'd rather get next gen seats than AP in my car

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Purist: Don't do it, Jimmy!

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I have no desire for nanny controls. I wouldn't pay for the upgrade. LTE was much more valuable to me.

8. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

"Rumor" Has it ;-) that a Sig Owner got the full retrofit to Autopilot hardware. Cost was $60k.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I have $10k left in Referral Credits, I'd Give all of them to get auto-pilot retrofitted! My car has already been ripped apart so many times... So many different Parts... It's already the Frankenstein Monster of the Model S/Tesla World...

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I'd rather buy a new Model S and take it to paint shop and have them paint it signature red. $60k is crazy.

10. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

Would definitely pay $5,000, probably $7,500 and maybe $10,000. Someone should start a poll.

11. taurusking

taurusking Member

yes 60k for upgrade is extreme.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I know I am not alone...I feel envious too but most of the time I am driving in rural areas where lane changing is not required.

Confused like you as well:confused:

12. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Yes that is the blessing/curse of having a Signature, Sub 500 VIN. With the Model-S being an important inflection point for the automotive industry, I really believe the car will be an early "classic".

It's like a 65 Mustang, you don't want to be the guy saying I had one and sold it. So it will be a forever car (though at some point, not the primary car). I was really hoping Tesla would do a Coupe (no not the model III), so I could justify a purchase.

13. stevej119

stevej119 Member

Does anyone know the VIN number range where LTE implementation began?

14. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Where'd you hear these rumors?

15. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

I'd pay I dunno, $500? Maybe? I don't really see much use for it. Technically its an incredible achievement and its a huge stepping stone. Its not very useful though, you still have to pay attention, if you're paying attention you might as well be driving.