TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How Much Would You Pay for MCU2 Retrofit?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Saimaannorppa, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
?

How Much Would You Pay for MCU2 Retrofit?

1. Nothing

2. 500$ or less

3. 500$ to 1000$

4. 1000$ to 2000$

5. 2000$ to 3000$

6. 3000$ to 4000$

7. 4000$ to 5000$

8. Shut up and take my money!

9. Already have MCU2

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Saimaannorppa

Saimaannorppa Member

With the potential MCU retrofit announced, how much are you budgeting for it?

Arguments for and against, and for your vote, appreciated.

2. THXULTRA

THXULTRA Member

Honestly would depend on what the car can do with the new MCU vs the old one. If it is just faster I will pass. If it has some new function that makes the upgrade worth something then I would look at it.

• Like x 2
  3. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Just for a processor swap? Probably the $1k to $2k range.

4. Skotty

Skotty 2014 S P85 | 2020 3 P19"

I'd pay money for something that makes the web browser useful, but otherwise it's fast enough for me. Of course, better is better, and if I upgrade my car someday a faster MCU would be great, but I am just talking what I would pay money for with my current car.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

If it's just faster then I'd probably skip. The maps are fast enough for me already, and I don't care about the browser.
    However, if it enabled CarPlay/Android auto support, made the car a wifi access point, or gave more apps (Waze being a prime candidate), then I'd be interested, probably in the $3K range.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. DaveK.

DaveK. Member

I wouldn't pay just for speed either. To me this about ensuring my new car with MCU1 isn't left behind with future enhancements and capabilities. If Tesla maintains near functional parity with MCU1/2 I'm happy enough now.

• Like x 1
  7. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

A new MCU combined with a camera or other in car sensor that would result (eventually by software) to track your eye focus (to know you're watching the road, ala Model 3) with the goal of getting rid of the steering wheel AP nag, $1-2k would be worth it.
    -TechVP

• Like x 1
  8. Logan5

Logan5 Member

The MCU in and of itself is worthless to me. A snappier UI, while appealing, isn't something I want to pay for given the life of the car.

What would be worthwhile to me, perhaps, is if new OS features were contingent upon the presence of the new MCU. For instance, if the long promised app mirroring or Car Play were to be introduced through an OS update and only work on the new CPU then that would make it a compelling update. Or perhaps superior sound quality and better media controls. Or maybe an as yet to be released feature.

But for the current state of the OS, and I say this respecting those who are desperate for it, this is something I simply won't pay for.

9. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

This is something is worth some money say $1000 for me if it significantly improves the responsiveness (which is true) and makes the browser functional. The biggest draw isn’t what it is capable right now but what it will unlock in the future. I can totally imagine new capabilities (360 cam; mirroring, new snazzy UX) that would be fine wig faster CPU but totally clunky with the old. Aside from he actual mechanical aspect of the drive, AP, the MCU is the most interacted park of the car and is really the face. You don’t want to be running iOS 11 with an iPhone 5...

10. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Ditto most of this. IDGAF about the browser. If I want to do Internet; I will use my phone or bring a tablet. The new maps need to be usable on their own or what’s the point.

I don’t believe bandwidth from the car through the mothership VPN tunnel will ever be usable for any app that we would actually use from the car (Netflix, etc.) except for audio (music) and that works now.

So unless the price is minimal what are we getting except ooh, shiney, new! ??

• Helpful x 1
  11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Latest from Elon is that they are working on an update path for current owners. Will be able to buy new hardware and chip.

Also says that the latest software updates will offer a much faster display speed, just due to the improvements in graphic efficiencies.

Bet that after it all fleshes out, few will want to pay thousands of $ to just get a faster display.

Interesting though how many people would be willing to spend thousands just to get rid of a little lag.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. CharlieLab

CharlieLab Member

If you want to calculate the ROI, here's the math..
    Typical owner makes $100,000 per year net. (yes I know some people make a lot more)
    $273 per day
    0.19c per minute

Assumption based on video's I've seen, new MCU will save you 120 seconds on interacting with the display per day.
    3 years of ownership or 3 years left of ownership
    0.38c x 1095 days = $416

Add $500 bucks for aggravation factor and the fact no one has patience these days, and the upgrade should be around ~$1000.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. Lipsyte

Lipsyte Member

This exactly. Same price range for me.

14. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Your assumption assumes that I'm sitting around waiting for the MCU all the time. I'm not, I'm driving so it doesn't save me any time. Also the 120 seconds per day is mind bogglingly high.

There is a ton of speculation as to what the new MCU would enable, but beyond a better browser (which incidentally Elon also promised as coming to the original cars). I'd be skeptical that anything new is coming any time soon. The original MCU would have been plenty snappy and had be quite capable of dealing with additional functionality if Tesla had cared to optimize the software some. They didn't 3 years ago despite talking about additional apps and phone mirroring, I don't see why they would now.

• Like x 2
  15. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

How about trading the price of an upgraded MCU for naming rights to my Tesla? I have no shame!

16. markn455

markn455 Member

I took delivery Friday. Tesla should swap it out a no charge for any car less than 30 days old.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. Not1Drop

Not1Drop Member

Would definitely appreciate a snappier browser, although as others have posted I'd need to see something more than just a faster processor to run the screen and apps before the cost, which I expect will be higher than $1k, could be justified. If it involved a better cellular modem and more media options then yes I'd be in for getting it. Add Google Play or Tesla's own media service and then....maybe...

18. Electricfan

Electricfan Active Member

500 would be worth it for a faster screen.

• Like x 1
  19. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

The "old" MCU is plenty fast for what I do. I don't have AP, no lag to speak of that I can see. Everything works just fine. I find the hype over MCU2 to be overblown. Tesla needs money, I hope the retrofit costs $5,000.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. ORB

ORB Member

Late 2012 ‘S here. I rarely use the browser, but I’d pay in the $0.5-1K range for much faster nav map tiling redraw (and for new route calculation), very nice when switching zoom levels to anticipate traffic slowdowns while navigating in dense urban areas I’m not familiar with.

Oliver

• Like x 1