TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How Much Would You Pay for MCU2 Retrofit?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Saimaannorppa, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
?

How Much Would You Pay for MCU2 Retrofit?

1. Nothing

2. 500$ or less

3. 500$ to 1000$

4. 1000$ to 2000$

5. 2000$ to 3000$

6. 3000$ to 4000$

7. 4000$ to 5000$

8. Shut up and take my money!

9. Already have MCU2

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

An in-car hotspot would be nice. Has it been a year yet since Elon said this feature was coming?

With that, I don’t care about an in-car browser that can’t even process/display/complete a Design Studio order from Tesla’s own website or display a .pdf. Speed won’t fix those. Timeouts aren’t the issue.

I’d give $1K out the door for an MCU upgrade if it made new functionality (in-car hotspot, 360-degree view, decent audio management, Tunein podcasts working again, and the list goes on) usable.

Analogous to the 3G —> LTE board swap for $500 out the door. Made unusable features usable overnight. Of course, the extra speed did nothing for broken audio and Nav functionality. Other than I guess make it break faster each time.

2. jermaine182

jermaine182 Member

It’s great to know I can upgrade in the future but long has I have no performance issues with the older MCU I’ll just use it until the warranty goes away. I’ll oro upgrade only for about if warranty MCU purchase or drastic performance issues.

• Like x 1
  3. BertL

BertL Active Member

Also waiting to see if there are any real benefits with MCU2 beyond "speed", as I really just want long-outstanding firmware bugs applicable to MCU1 to be fixed first, especially with USB Media Player support.

• Love x 1
  4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I picked up my new X 100D last week with the new MCU. It's crazy buggy. Audio cuts out, WiFi is intermittent, HD Radio doesn't work properly, but I have a real oddball situation today: The Energy Savings settings are gone (just white space where the controls used to be) and I can no longer re-boot by pressing the scroll wheels. The first few days, I could re-boot (had to because of audio and WiFi issues) but now pressing either the scroll wheels or top buttons for any length of time will not reboot the system.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

Also, they are getting a working old one back so the price needs to reflect they are getting a serviceable part back... Plenty of people won't want to upgrade and Tesla needs to stock both parts. Here is a way to retain some parts without having to build new ones. So for me a new computer $500-$1000

6. EVChris

EVChris Member

So I'm ordering an S85 CPO which is a lease return. I don't know yet, but in all likelihood the S85 doesn't have the 3G->LTE upgrade. That's currently $326. I'll hold off on everything to see how much the MCU2 replacement is (which should probably include LTE) and factor that in. If the whole shebang is less than $1000 installed, definitely. Otherwise, I'll just do the LTE upgrade.

7. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

You may have to wait a long time before the MCU2 upgrade is available (it ever...)

I would also guess the upgrade cost will be higher than $1000

• Like x 2
  8. milleron

milleron Member

Yes, Snowstorm, you're correct. Everyone is talking about this MCU2 upgrade as though it's a thing, as though it actually exists. I've learned to take with a large grain of salt anything that Mr. Musk Tweets or says in response to a random question.
    Inasmuch as owners with faulty MCUs replaced under warranty have received new touchscreens because the computer and display come as a unit and because an upgrade would require new adapters to connect existing wiring to the new electronics, I can see such an upgrade taking a long time to design and produce and costing more like $5-8K than the $1-3K that is winning this vote. I'll believe it when there's an official announcement.

9. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Give me new OLED center and IC screen display with up to the date MCU and Nav Chip and I'm gonna pay for it.

• Like x 2
  10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

An OLED screen that could get truly dark at night would be awesome.

• Like x 1
  11. Nitemare3219

Nitemare3219 Member

I'm huge on OLED as well, but in a car display... not going to be good long term. Burn-in will be atrocious with current screen technology.

• Like x 1
  12. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

oh no! I didn't realize that. Why is that?

13. BertL

BertL Active Member

Its the nature of OLED technology, just as plasma (especially in it's early years) had the same possible concern with "burn-in" of constant seldom-changing images on a display that stays on for very long periods of time. (Think about TV tickers/crawls that always show on some cable news and what those TVs look like in worst-case situations like brokerage firms, or demo TVs in certain stores that have a ghost image on them when the TV is off, or even with games that have controls positioned in the same location on the screen all the time, with players that stay on that image for hours on-end day-after-day, etc). The situation isn't as prevalent or of concern on OLED devices like a camera display, Apple Watch or iPhone X where the image does not stay on for extended periods of time, as the displays sleep after short periods of time.

TV mfgrs have improved the "burn-in" possibility in some of the more recent OLEDs with tricky methods like occasionally shifting the entire display by a single pixel one way or the other, and background refresh methods which operate after certain thresholds of panel-on time occur (and besides taking an hour or more to accomplish, can be physically destructive to the panel if done too often). Despite these sort of things, "burn-in" can still happen and is what drives e.g. some avid gamers who love certain games to avoid OLED or at least take special steps to try and avoid "burn-in" problems on their beloved OLED TV. Displays in our Tesla are on all the time the vehicle is, so "burn-in" could become a problem for owners that use their cars a lot given how most any GUI tends to have parts it stay in the same position all the time -- no different than gamers may encounter.

Additionally, and without getting into a technology discussion better saved for a AV forum elsewhere, for the money and energy consumption today, OLED just can't produce as bright an image as other tech like LED can. It's why some AV enthusiasts still today select high-end LED over OLED if they have bright viewing environments. Having bright-enough controls and displays in a vehicle is a really big consideration, especially with glass windows and roofs all-around like most Tesla have.

Beyond the "burn-in" and brightness considerations, IMO the cost of OLED technology today is simply prohibitive compared to LED for use as a large display like our center consoles are. While the improved visual quality may be appreciated by some geekier-types, I suggest since the displays in our Tesla are not something anyone stares at for very long (or at least shouldn't be when driving), are not viewed with a more critical eye towards detail like some of us do with our TVs, Mac or PCs, or keep as physically close to our eyes as a camera, watch or phone may be, OLED becomes nearly impossible to cost-justify today in our vehicle. As OLED technology matures, the financial equation may change, but I don't see that in the near term. Just consider what some consultants and bloggers suggest is the most expensive component difference between say an iPhone 8 and iPhone X: the LED vs OLED display. Additionally, Tesla does not have the best track record improving and fixing even basic functionality of their code (don't get me going! ;)), so I would never expect Tesla would even attempt going so far as implementing OLED if they had to do all the extra ongoing firmware work that say LG, Sony, Panasonic, etc are with their relatively young OLED TV technology. For some of us AV enthusiasts, "burn-in" prevention techniques and how a TV mfgr deals with panel management can be a differentiator between some of the TV mfgrs today -- it was for me before I jumped into a 55" OLED from my 8 year-old Plasma last year.

My net: OLED in my Tesla could please my geekier-side, but likely not my pocket book, and would give me pause considering if it could deal with maximum brightness when my pano is open and if I'd rapidly have burn-in problems with the always-on parts of the GUI.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Agreed OLED not a good idea at all for burn in factor and life expectancy before it starts dimming

15. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

The current instrument cluster LCD has relatively poor blacks, it is sort of gray and has a washed out look at night. I don’t think that is a upgradable part for existing cars but I do hope hay future S and X will be improved on that regard.

16. Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Member

I would pay $1-$2,000. for the upgrade. I would love to see Tesla include an on board hidden camera for recording, similar to a Corvette which records various times, 0-60, 1/4 mile, track, and just general views of the countryside when on a trip.

17. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

There is no need to be hidden, there are lots of cameras around the car

18. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Nothing. The core problem is that Tesla's software team is introducing critical regression bugs and breaking functionality. Who cares what the hardware is when the software is so bad?