Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay for new fobs so your car cannot be easily stolen?

How much should we pay to get our two Model S fobs replaced?

• $300 each like most premium car brands charge for a new fob

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • $150 each which is about what it costs today for a new fob with reprogramming

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • $100 each is a good price for a fob

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • $50 each since Tesla is partially to blame

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • $25 each since they probably cost Tesla a small fraction of that amount

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • FREE since Tesla knew about the better design, but was sloppy here

Votes: 56 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the early key fobs, they appeared to do complete replacements.

Perhaps things have changed with the later versions - and hopefully the design has been improved to prevent opening the sunroof on the key fobs...
At least since 2015, they've just been replacing the casings. They word it as such that it sounds like you're getting a new fob, but that's not the case (pun intended ;)).

The sunroof has never been controlled by the key fob.

The windows down feature of the fob was disabled in V6... 4 years ago.

I haven't seen any tin foil wrapped Tesla's yet

Close enough...

XG0sObU.jpg

I was joking - the cover over the roof button would fall off - essentially opening the key fob's sunroof - exposing the button inside the key fob...
LOL, sorry... I was in a way too serious mindset earlier :)

From what I was told, they did change the fob casing design / manufacturing sometime in 2016 I think?? To prevent the sunroof from popping open and such :p

If someone has cloned a fob for your car, "Pin to Drive" only presents an additional barrier to them driving off - it doesn't stop them gaining entry to the cabin, the trunk and the frunk. That's pretty poor for what is supposed to be one of the world's most advanced cars. Unless Tesla specified a 40 bit cipher for the fobs, I reckon Pektron should provide replacement fobs free of charge - or at least, for the cost of the hardware, which can't be more than $20.

Yup, that's what I'd ask. Did their contract stipulate 40 bits (bad for Tesla) or just 'secure encryption' (good for us) as 40 bit has been brute force-able by you average desktop in short order for years.

Reactions: .jg.
Google "bmw theft without keys" and watch them do it. In one case they program a new key once they open the door using the ODB2 port and a 'blank key' the rest seem to just dothe one time relay attack. Almost all seem to be in Europe. A Benz video was here in the states.

I asked my Service Center for new fobs. I was told they're not backwards compatible with MCU1, and thus I cannot order them. I was also that they are "no more secure" than the older ones. Just a different frequency. I pointed them to the numerous press statements from Tesla, but was told "those are all wrong"

I'm so sick of Tesla not being able to effectively communicate with their own freaking employees.

I asked my Service Center for new fobs. I was told they're not backwards compatible with MCU1, and thus I cannot order them. I was also that they are "no more secure" than the older ones. Just a different frequency. I pointed them to the numerous press statements from Tesla, but was told "those are all wrong"

I'm so sick of Tesla not being able to effectively communicate with their own freaking employees.

Just as an update - I had my two old fobs replaced w/ two of the new fobs (80bit) today during a mobile service (door handle repair). Cost was $150 per remote, no labor charge.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike