Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay for new fobs so your car cannot be easily stolen?

How much should we pay to get our two Model S fobs replaced?

• $300 each like most premium car brands charge for a new fob

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • $150 each which is about what it costs today for a new fob with reprogramming

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • $100 each is a good price for a fob

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • $50 each since Tesla is partially to blame

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • $25 each since they probably cost Tesla a small fraction of that amount

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • FREE since Tesla knew about the better design, but was sloppy here

Votes: 56 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The PIN to drive kludge is a pita if you use valet mode (and you should as it locks/keeps locked the glovebox and frunk which PtD does *not* do).

Now, to use valet mode, you have to select it from the drop down and then re-enter your PIN to enable it. Seriously?

The new fobs should be available for free to those who ask for them. The issue has been resolved evidently since May, so why we’re only now hearing about it (as a mass communication) is another mystery.

So my car was 14 months old at that point. I don’t think another $300 to fix a SECURITY AND THEFT problem is a fee I should have to pay - and selling the car with the now compromised fobs is another problem.

This one’s on Tesla. Looks like another missive to Executive Escalation.

Reactions: .jg.
If someone wants to steal items inside a car, they only need to break a window and quickly empty the contents of the car - even the frunk isn't really secure. The Model S has storage under the rear floor, frunk and under the trunk cover that keeps items out of sight. The Model X only has the frunk and under floor storage - anything in the above floor cargo area is easily visible through the windows.

The key fob issue is really about stealing the car - not protecting the contents.
I disagree. It's about doing it stealthy. Breaking windows makes it clear you are doing something wrong. Walking up to a car in a parking lot and grabbing things after unlocking does not. By your logic, I could just tow the Model S to steel it, no keyfob can protect against that.

The worst scenario is one I actually have seen twice recently. A car is parked on a driveway unlocked. Thief arrives ~2am, drives up to it, calmly loads stuff from your car into theirs. When done, they hit the garage door opener. Garage opens, the thief drives away. The thief drives by again 2 hours later (4am), if the garage is still open, he parks on the driveway, empties your garage into his car and leaves. My neighbor got hit this way last year, I provided the police with surveillance videos since mine caught the whole thing in action. Almost identical MO happened at my in-law's, their neighbor got hit (I also helped extricate the surveillance videos from their cameras). The interesting thing, the thief first walked the street looking for unlocked cars, so obviously not willing to shatter windows but will rob you blind if can unlock the car.

Your Model S can be stolen with a few hundred dollars of off-the-shelf equipment if you didn't buy in the last few months. Cars sold before June 2018 have this vulnerability, but not any Model X so Tesla has had the solution available for a few years without bothering to update things on the Model S.

They will have a solution soon, but it requires software updates to your car. Apparently you have to replace all your fobs to get the new protection. A PIN-to-start feature was added to the car, but I hate those sorts of things and that is why most phones have gotten rid of it.

How much should we pay to solve their sloppiness to get new fobs?
They can steal my car. That is what insurance is for.

Why does this thread assume tesla will charge owners for upgrades fobs? When I saw this story break on Electrek it said tesla will provide. Has tesla since reported they will charge owners?
I think the risk is low of compromise and sure other manufacturers keys are affected,

Tesla replaced for free the key fobs for our 2012 S P85 several times under warranty. At least for the early S key fobs, the cover over the fob's roof button would crack over time and fall off, exposing the button. Under normal use, the key fobs should work, at least for the standard warranty.

The issue with the key fob security isn't as straightforward. Tesla will likely believe that the Pin-to-drive feature provides an adequate solution to the security risk, and decide not to provide the new key fobs for free.

A few years ago, Tesla would likely have provided the replacements for free. But now that the number of vehicles is pretty large, and they are trying to achieve profitability, seems less likely they would spend this $$$, especially since it would likely stop the theft of only a very small number of vehicles - and the PIN feature should do the same thing, without having to give away a lot of new key fobs.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
I was quoted $150 per fob from my SC. My initial reaction was anger as I figured this was the equivalent of Microsoft charging for a zero day software patch for Windows, but then after reading this thread, Tesla did offer a software solution for free to address the vulnerability (albeit it as a major inconvenience to it’s customers). They also are trying to become profitable and not tie up their Service Centers with free recalls and for those that elect, they will offset the expense. I don’t agree with the approach, but I understand the approach.

Tesla replaced for free the key fobs for our 2012 S P85 several times under warranty. At least for the early S key fobs, the cover over the fob's roof button would crack over time and fall off, exposing the button. Under normal use, the key fobs should work, at least for the standard warranty....
They don't actually replace the fob in this situation. They open it up and only replace the case.

I was quoted $150 per fob from my SC. My initial reaction was anger as I figured this was the equivalent of Microsoft charging for a zero day software patch for Windows, but then after reading this thread, Tesla did offer a software solution for free to address the vulnerability (albeit it as a major inconvenience to it’s customers). They also are trying to become profitable and not tie up their Service Centers with free recalls and for those that elect, they will offset the expense. I don’t agree with the approach, but I understand the approach.

If someone has cloned a fob for your car, "Pin to Drive" only presents an additional barrier to them driving off - it doesn't stop them gaining entry to the cabin, the trunk and the frunk. That's pretty poor for what is supposed to be one of the world's most advanced cars. Unless Tesla specified a 40 bit cipher for the fobs, I reckon Pektron should provide replacement fobs free of charge - or at least, for the cost of the hardware, which can't be more than $20.

I'm a bit bent out of shape on this also. I got a message after appealing to support that it will be $300-$350 for 2 fobs.

'pin to drive' as a fix is not a fix. If I'm transporting firearms it's no joke if someone can clone my key and achieve entry.

I presented this case specifically for executive consideration so hopefully they'll notice this is a real security issue.

Reactions: .jg.