Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay for Supercharging on Model 3?

How much would you pay for long-distance supercharging?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because....... 'Merica ?

Let's math it out.

What is the up front fee for supercharging? $2000? Now, if I were able to pay $5 each time I used a supercharger on my base Model 3, I think it'd be safe to assume that on average, of the 215 mile rated range, I'd be around 150 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less, between charges.

So $5 per charge, times 400 charges = the $2000, and 400 charges at an average of 150 miles per = 60,000 miles, or in my case, about 3 years of driving.

The cost of fueling an electric car HAS to be far far less than any gas car, even a 50 mpg one, otherwise, what's the point and benefit of getting an electric car? I don't care about the environment.

So you see, after 3 years, Tesla still gets their $2000 and then MORE, from the remaining years of the car's life. Win for Tesla to charge me $5 per supercharge than a 1 time fee of $2000.
Tesla would bring in far more money using your model. I'm just not sure it fits with the short term needs and long term vision. I'm guessing that Supercharging is a $2000 option and "per use" charging is not offered.

I think Tesla would prefer to take in as much cash upfront as possible to fund growth. Charging per use also fosters the notion of a hierarchy among owners that I don't think they're interested in. And the issues around ICEing, abuse, etc. all distract from Tesla's core business.

Using Tesla's calculator, 150 miles of charge is $6 so this comes to a head rather quickly. I could see them paying less than $0.12/kWh, although it is probably not worth speculating on, especially with so many SC's in California.

At $2000, Tesla has to operate the SC network at a loss or assume that the average driver will not use an SC for daily charging or assume that the car will be off the road after 50,000 SC miles. If I'm paying $2000 up front, I'm using the SC network as often as practical. And on the 50k mi front, I'm unlikely to ditch a car that is free to charge and has minimal maintenance costs.

So something has to give and that something is the cost to provide energy. The SolarCity acquisition and Powerwall improvements have to drive this cost down. Selling charging rights to other manufacturers will drive some additional revenue here, as well.

The logical move seems to be to take the cash upfront from thousands of owners and build out the network on SolarCity panels.

Can you imagine a tons of Model 3 uber X drivers in the line for supercharging while Model S and X owners waiting for hours?? Model 3 owners will sell their que (prob. $5 to $10?) to S and X owners to make a profit. It gotta be a pay per use model. I would guess $10-$15 per use.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nixx
Can you imagine a tons of Model 3 uber X drivers in the line for supercharging while Model S and X owners waiting for hours?? Model 3 owners will sell their que (prob. $5 to $10?) to S and X owners to make a profit. It gotta be a pay per use model. I would guess $10-$15 per use.
I can imagine it...but its certainly not going to happen. Charge per use has already been confirmed by Tesla that - It aint going to happen. No charge per use.

It only takes me $1.90 to charge my MS at home.

$10-$15 per use is just Ludicrous. ( Another chance to use that word...I can't wait).

Needs to be an option for "Whatever the cost is of the package for which supercharging is included". Elon's already alluded to this, most likely a bigger battery. Pretty sure a number of people would probably go with this answer since many people already plan on buying the bigger battery.

$10-$15 per use is just Ludicrous. ( Another chance to use that word...I can't wait).

It only cost $0.30 to make a nice cup of coffee at home, but Starbucks charges you $1.99 for the same. But I haven't seen you complaining that Starbucks is ripping you off. It is the price you pay for the convenience of drinking coffee on the road, knowing very well that 90% of your coffee drinking happens at home or office. And remember the price they charge also reflects the expenses they incur on running an establishment.

What for charging 80 kwh it costs you only $1.90 at 2c /kWh?

It only cost $0.30 to make a nice cup of coffee at home, but Starbucks charges you $1.99 for the same. But I haven't seen you complaining that Starbucks is ripping you off. It is the price you pay for the convenience of drinking coffee on the road, knowing very well that 90% of your coffee drinking happens at home or office. And remember the price they charge also reflects the expenses they incur on running an establishment.

What for charging 80 kwh it costs you only $1.90 at 2c /kWh?
What?

First of all, I don't drink coffee. I would nave no information concerning starbucks nor coffee. However for those who get white seats in the M3 can feel safe about getting coffee on their seats. Tesla Model X "Ultra White" seats tested against coffee spill and ketchup stains

I drive approx. 100 miles per day and as I charge my car...the meter on my charger increases $1.90 as it pulls in common wealth edisons current prices - including the myriad of taxes and such....and it averages $1.90. Of course I don't pay taxes and fees for electricity because my solar array produces more than what I use. ( long story ) $1.90 is certainly NOT a complaint. Its great. $1.90 is excellent when comparing how much it costs an ICE car in gas to go 100 miles.

So......I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Last edited:
You personally drinking coffee or not, is not the point. That was used as an illustration to drive a point

<face-palm>
Yes, got it......and........

That's why I think pay-per-use is stupid. Pay once sets the price and lowers the price every time you use it. That way, I can regulate the price and not the vendor. I love it when I can set the price of the product I buy. Such as - All you can eat restaurants

Bam! You nailed it.

Yes, got it......and........
Garlan, I am not sure why you made such a huge point of you not drinking coffee if you said you "get it."

That's why I think pay-per-use is stupid. Pay once sets the price and lowers the price every time you use it. That way, I can regulate the price and not the vendor. I love it when I can set the price of the product I buy. Such as - All you can eat restaurants
Right, so you get it. Most restaurants do not offer all you can eat. The vast majority in this country, set a price for each item, to include a profit. I would not call this stupid, but common business sense. If not coffee, what about a pasta dish at a restaurant? The spaghetti costs $0.25, the sauce costs $0.50, but the restaurant charges $12.00. What?? OMG, that is highway robbery, especially when we don't pay that much at home! How dare they charge for their overhead (rent, employees, insurance, etc), and even worse, how could they even consider making a profit? The nerve!

Let's look at it like going to Disneyland. A season pass, depending on which options, runs as much as $1050. A day pass is about $100. If I intend to go several times a year, I may choose to get a season pass. If I am only going once a year, why bother? I see no reason why this same philosophy can be applied to supercharging, if they so decide. A year or lifetime pass for x amount, a per use amount of y amount. The y amount will not be same as charging at home, or the equivalent breakdown if you use a supercharger 10, 20 or 100 times a year. People here need to stop looking for Tesla to discount their services. You can choose to pay out big bucks for each charge, or buy the season pass. Who know, maybe they'll even offer a monthly or weekly "travel pass?

Last edited:
Bam! You nailed it.

Garlan, I am not sure why you made such a huge point of you not drinking coffee if you said you "get it."

Right, so you get it. Most restaurants do not offer all you can eat. The vast majority in this country, set a price for each item, to include a profit. I would not call this stupid, but common business sense. If not coffee, what about a pasta dish at a restaurant? The spaghetti costs $0.25, the sauce costs $0.50, but the restaurant charges $12.00. What?? OMG, that is highway robbery, especially when we don't pay that much at home! How dare they charge for their overhead (rent, employees, insurance, etc), and even worse, how could they even consider making a profit? The nerve!

Let's look at it like going to Disneyland. A season pass, depending on which options and blackout dates, runs anywhere from $330 to $1050. A day pass is about $100. If I intend to go several times a year, I may choose to get a season pass. If I am only going once a year, why bother? I see no reason why this same philosophy can be applied to supercharging, if they so decide. A year or lifetime pass for x amount, a per use amount of y amount. The y amount will not be same as charging at home, or the equivalent breakdown if you use a supercharger 10, 20 or 100 times a year. People here need to stop looking for Tesla to discount their services. You can choose to pay out big bucks for each charge, or buy the season pass.
You don't get it. You are not getting what I'm saying.

I don't care about the price of anything.

I want pay once forever not pay per use. That's the only point I've ever made.

I don't think Tesla is getting over on anything. Whatever their price is - is what it is. If I buy it ... then fine. If I don't buy it....then fine.

I don't want pay-per-use to be the only option. That would be stupid to me.

You don't get it. You are not getting what I'm saying.

I don't care about the price of anything.

I want pay once forever not pay per use. That's the only point I've ever made.

I don't think Tesla is getting over on anything. Whatever their price is - is what it is. If I buy it ... then fine. If I don't buy it....then fine.

I don't want pay-per-use to be the only option. That would be stupid to me.
Ah. Thank you for the clarification. I agree that pay-per-use as the only option would not work. I highly doubt Tesla would do that. If they only offer one option, my guess is that it would be a lifetime. A pay-per-use, or a monthly plan would be additional options, if offered at all. That makes a lot of sense to me. Many people never travel, and if they decide to, they can enroll for a month long plan for their trip only.

Psychologically, I don't want to pay for supercharging. I think PPU wouldn't be good and an up-front cost might induce sticker shock. Now if it were hidden away in the cost of premium options then I'm all for that. Out of sight, out of mind.

I can understand have it as an option for the base model, but with all the premium options I'd already be looking at nearly twice the cost of the base model.