Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay to uncork your Model S 75/75D?

How much would you pay to make your 75 faster with software uncorking?

• $5000

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • $2500

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • $1000

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • $500

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Zero (not interested)

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Tesla did hardware improvements to get to a 4.2s 0-60 MPH acceleration time in July, but older cars can get to 4.4s just with a software upgrade. Tesla is doing this upgrade on the cars that they sell, but current owners or those that buy used from third parties are not getting this "love" from Tesla.

It costs money to deal with additional warranty issues that a stressed car will certainly have so it makes sense for Tesla to not do this for free.

How much would you pay if Tesla offered uncorking as an option OTA?

According to a Tesla Rep in Fremont I spoke to, one person said it was just Software but others have said that it was Software and a minor hardware adjustment. I can't seem to get the which one it is? Any insight on that?

Just wishing at this point. It may be that once Tesla pushes out all their 4.4s inventory cars, that they give all cars the software update. Right now Tesla is the only one that can uncork so it advantages their inventory in the marketplace.

@Ingineer -- Do you have any insight into this? Tesla can uncork performance but is only doing this for non-new DU cars that they are selling. Is it possible for us to uncork our own cars?
According to @wk057, an uncorked 60/75D can achieve near P85D Insane mode acceleration times. Tesla seems to be doing us bogus at the moment because apparently, their inventory cars built before July are being uncorked. Yet their personnel are telling us that only cars built July and after this year are eligible.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Funny that Tesla promises updates for the car so that we forget all the things that don't work at delivery. Except when they won't update our cars and yet still the blind spot detection, auto wipers, self-driving, auto high-beams, full self driving, WiFi hotspot, rear HVAC control with app, etc. that were promised and don't work well or at all after months/years of ownership.

Hard to forgive the beta features when Tesla is being stingy on a software update that works.

Its interesting you mention "current owners" not getting love from Tesla because funny story when i bought my Model S it did not come with free supercharging and then suddenly out of nowhere 2 months later it came with free supercharging for life retroactively.

As for promised features not coming in software updates, be patient. Wifi hotspot was only just mentioned by Elon 1-2 months ago, most of the efforts are being spent on perfecting autosteer before they can finally move to FSD.

According to @wk057, an uncorked 60/75D can achieve near P85D Insane mode acceleration times. Tesla seems to be doing us bogus at the moment because apparently, their inventory cars built before July are being uncorked. Yet their personnel are telling us that only cars built July and after this year are eligible.

From what I can gather, cars built after July are already "uncorked" and some cars built before July are fully eligible to be "uncorked". So I guess they're technically not lying on this one.

I plan on testing some theories once I have time and cars available to test on, but from the info I gathered an uncorked 90D/100D has the same or better peak power output as an Insane P85D, with a 75D being not too far behind (~10% or so). The initial launch torque can't be the same, since physics shifts weight to the rear in a launch and the rear motor doesn't have the same torque as a larger motor. The torque ramp has to be a hair slower on the dual small motor cars for this reason. But from a 20 MPH roll I'm pretty sure an uncorked 90D/100D would smoke a non-ludicrous P85D. Should also totally smoke an original RWD P85 from a launch. (Pretty sure I still have the only RWD Tesla that could hold its own at this point... lol)

I'm reasonably certain (upper 90% range) that there have not actually been any changes to the drive unit or inverter itself to facilitate this. I know for certain that the small rear drive units are capable of at least 650A input... so two is ~1300A, or the same as a non-L P85D. A bit of educated speculation at this point, but what I suspect is that all 90D/100D's can be uncorked on the hardware/technical side of things (but Tesla isn't making that a big public thing). As for the 75s, my speculation is that they've returned to using a cell chemistry closer to that of the original 85s, as the 90/75 cells do not hold up on the longevity side as well as the 85-type chemistry. The 100-type seems to not be the same as the 75/90 and is holding up significantly better. So, my guess is that newer packs have the 100-type cells, and Tesla is now comfortable with taxing these more than the original 75/90 type cells in the smaller pack versions. Again, speculation... but I'd be very very surprised if I were wrong on this.

All of that said, I'm pretty sure *every* 60D/70D/75D/90D/100D can be "uncorked" on the technical side of things using only software, but it may have some pack longevity ramifications for pre-July packs which is why Tesla won't do it. I'm also pretty certain that 85D's could technically be upgraded as well, but some packs would require a hardware retrofit similar to the P85D Ludicrous retrofit. I expect Tesla to do none of these things. They've zero incentive to offer enhanced performance on cars already sold.

From what I can gather, cars built after July are already "uncorked" and some cars built before July are fully eligible to be "uncorked". So I guess they're technically not lying on this one.

I plan on testing some theories once I have time and cars available to test on, but from the info I gathered an uncorked 90D/100D has the same or better peak power output as an Insane P85D, with a 75D being not too far behind (~10% or so).

A 4 second 0-60 is well back of a 3 second 0-60. Ever since 85Ds started landing near 4 seconds (following a much less publicized update), the dual motor AWD cars, with small/small motors have seemed to be no better than 4-4.4 second capable (which is still near ~P85 fast).

This doesn't mean they're reaching 1300 amps of draw, though, does it? I feel the same way about the hardware. Your post confirms the smaller motor (and inverter?) combos are mechanically the same (70D,75D,85D,90D,100D). Since larger batteries aren't producing materially faster times, I was making the leap that the "motor limits" had been reached. Your suggestion the 90D and 100D could challenge the P85D is a "sort of", I think. The race has to be long enough that the 90, or 100 catches up, if they would catch up, with their bigger battery's top end (not necessarily 1,300 amps, but higher amps for longer than an 85 can sustain). The Ludicrous update, itself, was mostly useful in the 30-50+mph range of the P85D, where it gets beyond its traction limits and can use the extra 200 amps that were the P85D's "Ludicrous".

If I'm getting at a "take-away", it's about un-packing how big motors versus big batteries effect performance.