Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much would you pay to uncork your Model S 75/75D?

How much would you pay to make your 75 faster with software uncorking?

• $5000

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • $2500

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • $1000

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • $500

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Zero (not interested)

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...As for the 75s, my speculation is that they've returned to using a cell chemistry closer to that of the original 85s, as the 90/75 cells do not hold up on the longevity side as well as the 85-type chemistry. The 100-type seems to not be the same as the 75/90 and is holding up significantly better. So, my guess is that newer packs have the 100-type cells, and Tesla is now comfortable with taxing these more than the original 75/90 type cells in the smaller pack versions...
Since we have you speaking about batteries already, any theory on the chemistry of the elusive BTX7 battery that comes with the BR05 upgrade code?

In Q4 they will have cleared a lot of their 75/75D inventory so won't need to give inventory cars a spec advantage.
Also as M3 ramps up it would give some hype to upgrade cars.
And lastly it could be a nice cash injection if the charge for something that costs them nothing.

...it would give some hype to upgrade cars...be a nice cash injection...that costs them nothing.
I wonder if Tesla looks at the community here and says well we have some frustrated users but they won't pay much to upgrade their cars so it isn't worth the warranty liability, trouble and market dynamics of having a bunch of additional used cars with upgraded and potentially upgradable performance to compete against new car sales, because maybe the hype and reduction in grumbling would be minimal.

Last edited:
I wonder if Tesla looks at the community here and says well we have some frustrated users but they won't pay much to upgrade their cars so it isn't worth the warranty liability, trouble and market dynamics of having a bunch of additional used cars with upgraded and potentially upgradable performance to compete against new car sales, because maybe the hype and reduction in grumbling would be minimal.
I will say that in the wider community people know nothing at all about the little differences we agonise over on this sort of forum.
If Tesla wants to throw a bone to we enthusiasts it would be great, but I don't think we are on their radar compared to all the stress of M3 launch and just running their massive, growing business.

Tesla wants you to trade-in your car for a new one. If you try to sell it yourself, there is no uncorking, battery capacity unlocking, autopilot activation, CPO warranty, etc. Makes it hard to compete with them for selling a used Tesla without those features that Tesla can include in the sale for no cost.

Tesla wants you to trade-in your car for a new one. If you try to sell it yourself, there is no uncorking, battery capacity unlocking, autopilot activation, CPO warranty, etc. Makes it hard to compete with them for selling a used Tesla without those features that Tesla can include in the sale for no cost.
They have a precedent which counters your assertion.
They made the 60/70 - 75 battery unlock very cheap. I was able to upgrade my 70D to a 75D for $750 (down from $5000).
Leaving the upgrade expensive would have given them all the CPO advantages you listed.

They have a precedent which counters your assertion.
They made the 60/70 - 75 battery unlock very cheap. I was able to upgrade my 70D to a 75D for $750 (down from $5000).
Leaving the upgrade expensive would have given them all the CPO advantages you listed.

OK, there is only $750 advantage on that battery upgrade, but other battery upgrades are not available at any price such as the original 40KW lock on the 60KW batteries. Add retail pricing up on all the options that they can unlock and the CPO warranty and Tesla has a $5-10K advantage built-in.

I don’t know about the 40/60 upgrade, but for a number of others (ie 60/75,) Tesla advertised the upgrade as a selling point and they have to keep it on the table. The cost came down when Tesla repriced the 75s after eliminating the 60s.

Well it just got even more confusing! Tesla just changed the inventory 75Ds to 5.4 sec from 4.4?

same price and what happened to all that "uncorking" talk, and to those that bought the 4.4 cars if this was
a typo.???

@jelloslug All inventory 75Ds regardless of built date was 0-60 4.4 starting in July some time and All custom was 4.2. IT was like that for over a months causing all kinds of debate..."uncorking", software, hardware etc...

As of today, all inventory went back to 5.4. Hence the confusion X2