Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how much would you pay to upgrade from 2020 SR+ to 2022 long range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am in the market to trade in my 2020 SR+ for a long range model 3 for faster acceleration and AWD. How much extra would you pay to upgrade to 2022 long range given the current market? Just wondering what is the reasonable pricing

Since you are asking for personal opinions. Here's mine. Not one cent. For my needs the SR+ meets them perfectly. I also love the driving dynamic of a relatively light weight (3616lb.), RWD, sport sedan with a 53% rear weight bias. The acceleration is fast enough. My showing off days are long past. And in the winter I'm not concerned as we are both retired. If I had to travel in the winter I would have dedicated snows which I have done in the past and I feel are a better option anyway. In 15 months of ownership I have only taken one road trip. From Milwaukee to Minneapolis. Two short and pleasant stops for refueling. Both ourselves and the car. The car was done just before we were. Granted, a LR model could easily do it in one longer stop but for us, we're not in a hurry. An extra 15-20 minutes hardly matters

Of course, YMMV.

I kinda felt like I should have gone for the LR instead of the SR+ but it hasn't really been a problem. We're in SoCal so there are numerous chargers around with little to no waiting if we wanna go up to LA or whatever. Bigger regret for me is FSD. I wish I could get that money back and give up FSD fantasies.

If you have to travel long distances often then I MIGHT see how it could get annoying to stop more often to charge. But you didn't mention that. You mentioned accel and AWD. If the SR+ isn't quick enough for you, well, I don't know what to say. But do you specifically feel you need AWD for some reason? Snow?

Thanks for the input. SR+ is my commuter car for work which does not require supercharging. Worst case when there is extrem cold below freeze temp i still get 30% charge left when i get home from work.
I can always use wife ice suv for long distance drive.

I am mainly upgrading for faster accerlation time and more confident driving in heavy snow. In the past two winters, my sr+ was stuck in snow and i have to get out by enable slip start. So hopefully awd will allow me to get over snow on the road better in snow storm. Of course better sound system and sound proofing and newer interior . But just not sure wha the delta from 2022 sr+ to 2022 dual motor to make it worth it.

I had a 2020 SR+ and when used cars got real hot, I sold it in Nov 2021. Made some money off that and decided to go with the LR. So I ordered a 2022 LR. Never looked back.
As for the delta, since used cars are stabilizing a bit nowadays and at the same time the new ones are higher in price, I would think the delta is getting greater and greater. All depends on what they offer you for trade in.

Getting to 358 miles of range with a 2022 compared to my 2019 has been more liberating than I thought. Plus, the heat pump will help your efficiency in the winter.
I'd order a new one and get quotes from several places to trade in or sell your 2020.

I think the ship already sailed for me because last night VROOM offered me $27K for my 2021 SR+, 3 months after offering me $51K for it. My recollection is that the LR, configured how I wanted it, after paying tax, would be $63K. If I had had some kind of guarantee of getting $9,500 in rebates ($2K from California and $7,500 from the new federal bill), I would have jumped on that. I probably would have jumped on any scenario that got me the LR with my SR+ traded in and an extra cost of under $5K. But I had to wait to see if Tesla would jump through all the hoops needed to accommodate the made-in-USA restrictions on the federal bill.

And unfortunately now those high VROOM offers appear to be ancient history, though luckily I’m still quite happy with the car I’ve got…

• Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
Thanks for the input. SR+ is my commuter car for work which does not require supercharging. Worst case when there is extrem cold below freeze temp i still get 30% charge left when i get home from work.
I can always use wife ice suv for long distance drive.

I am mainly upgrading for faster accerlation time and more confident driving in heavy snow. In the past two winters, my sr+ was stuck in snow and i have to get out by enable slip start. So hopefully awd will allow me to get over snow on the road better in snow storm. Of course better sound system and sound proofing and newer interior . But just not sure wha the delta from 2022 sr+ to 2022 dual motor to make it worth it.
I can see the reason for faster acceleration, for driving in heavy snow, what tires do you have? I am not sure if Canada pairs them up with same MXM4s as in the states for 18" wheels, if that's what you have, getting dedicated snow tires would be your first thing to do.

I can see the reason for faster acceleration, for driving in heavy snow, what tires do you have? I am not sure if Canada pairs them up with same MXM4s as in the states for 18" wheels, if that's what you have, getting dedicated snow tires would be your first thing to do.
yes. I am in Canada and already running set of winter tires now since winter starts early where I from

I think the ship already sailed for me because last night VROOM offered me $27K for my 2021 SR+, 3 months after offering me $51K for it. My recollection is that the LR, configured how I wanted it, after paying tax, would be $63K. If I had had some kind of guarantee of getting $9,500 in rebates ($2K from California and $7,500 from the new federal bill), I would have jumped on that. I probably would have jumped on any scenario that got me the LR with my SR+ traded in and an extra cost of under $5K. But I had to wait to see if Tesla would jump through all the hoops needed to accommodate the made-in-USA restrictions on the federal bill.

And unfortunately now those high VROOM offers appear to be ancient history, though luckily I’m still quite happy with the car I’ve got…

The used market has definitely cooled down, but man $27K seems low. I just checked with vroom on my 2020 SR+ with 40K miles and they offered $30, 909. During the peak of the used car boom they were offering $42K.

Based on all the reported offers I’m seeing here and my own recent experience, I think I got relatively lucky.

I ordered a MYLR in April 2022, and just finished paying for it through the app. Delivery next week.

I had wanted to trade in my current 2020 M3 SR+, but Tesla’s offer was very low. Here’s the range of “instant cash offers” I received in the last few days for my M3 (20500 miles):

Driveo 39000
Schrier (local dealer) 37500
Tesla 25200-28200
Vroom 30796
CarMax 32000
Carvana 28188
KBB 34560

Like many of you, the Carvana/Carmax offers just 7-8 weeks ago were $45-46k.

I went with Driveo, and a local Chevrolet dealer in the Driveo partner network just picked it up yesterday. Now just down to one car (2020 Civic) while we await our 2023 Austin-build MYLR delivery appointment next week in KC.

Based on all the reported offers I’m seeing here and my own recent experience, I think I got relatively lucky.

I ordered a MYLR in April 2022, and just finished paying for it through the app. Delivery next week.

I had wanted to trade in my current 2020 M3 SR+, but Tesla’s offer was very low. Here’s the range of “instant cash offers” I received in the last few days for my M3 (20500 miles):

Driveo 39000
Schrier (local dealer) 37500
Tesla 25200-28200
Vroom 30796
CarMax 32000
Carvana 28188
KBB 34560

Like many of you, the Carvana/Carmax offers just 7-8 weeks ago were $45-46k.

I went with Driveo, and a local Chevrolet dealer in the Driveo partner network just picked it up yesterday. Now just down to one car (2020 Civic) while we await our 2023 Austin-build MYLR delivery appointment next week in KC.
I sold my model 3 through Edmunds instant cash offer in August to a Chevy dealer as well. I never, ever would have dreamed that's how I would have unloaded my first EV lol

Reactions: starship42