Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How NOT to convince your significant other to go all electric. *Confession*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah... I can see your point, but I think I put more weight on the view from the other side... The Model S proves to be practical because the day-to-day use of the car is way more convenient than a conventional gas car and this particular rare & extreme scenario, while a bit less convenient, was still achievable. This is to contrast your "devil's advocate" point showing that these extreme scenarios would be easier for a gasoline car (given our current infrastructure), while the day-to-day aspect is less convenient (getting and paying for gas all the time). I guess this is because I drive about 80-100 miles per day, which means I was getting gas every 3-4 days, and having to pay $4.50/gal at the pump, which means two fill-ups costs more than the Models S's entire month's electricity usage for the same number of miles. From my perspective, that is the definition of impractical...

And as you mentioned, if your wife were to do the trip herself, the Nav would've pointed her to the Supercharger. Still newb-friendly in the rare road-trip scenario.

I also think it would've been more humorous to title the post, "How TO convince your significant other...", because of your rhetorical "Ready to get a Model X?!" punchline... Don'tcha think? :smile:

Alright, well nevermind. :wink: I think you are reading WAY too much into what I was saying. This comes across as a super Tesla defender and the Model S has no flaws, when I'm one of the most ardent defenders of Tesla. The object of this post was purely to point out my mistake when letting my wife drive my car. Not to point out that this car is impractical. Not even close.

Like you, I drive 100-120 miles per day and used to fill up once every 3-4 days. I made my case to all the nay sayers around (I think I'm the only Tesla in my county), that it is more practical than an ICE car, especially for my circumstances.

However, you cannot blindly say that it is more practical for every single purpose. Our infrastructure isn't there yet. For example, if we wanted to go to Little Rock from where we live? We're taking the ICE. No superchargers around. If I wanted to drive to far East Texas and back in a day? Not happening in my model S. Not yet at least.

Believe me, my wife was not pulling into the driveway going "Yeah! This IS more practical...lets buy a Model X for sure!" She was happy to get back to her ICE and not have to worry about it again.

Anyway, you are preaching to the choir I'm afraid. I've a firm Tesla evangelist, and this was not the point of my thread.

All is well! We made it, and I'm sure we'll still be a two Tesla family some day...just not yet :smile:

I got mine down to 0% & 0 miles pulling into the quartzite supercharger in AZ.

Had to slow down, turn off the heater and all just to make it. It was our first long trip I. The winter with the car and did not take into account the change in elevation after Indio CA.

But I figured I had some reserves. I was really surprised later to find out that Bjorne ran his down to 0 rm and in 7.0 it really means 0 rm.