Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How NOT to remove the passenger side outside mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mirror part is the same but the base is different. It is cut out on the bottom because the door is different. Also the Lotus base is solid and the tesla base is hollow. It can be made to work with a little grinding. I have a few if you run into a hard time finding one.

The Elise/Exige mirror bases from the S2 appear to me to be exactly the same to me as well as the identical curvature and hollow base. I'm 100% confident they'll work on the Roadster and there's no difference at all between them. I wouldn't even doubt if the part# is identical (if stamped).

Side Mirrors - Storm Titanium - $300 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

2007 Lotus Exige side mirrors:
IMG_0828_zpswupzmvfm.jpg

Tesla Roadster Side Mirror:
642444348-tesla-roadster-solar-powered-e-mobility-traffic-electric-car.jpg

Lotus Elise Side Mirror:

11904d1116726532-multivex-mirror-review-elise2005_0521ac.jpg

Last edited:
I've found a couple of sources for Elise mirrors. Looks like it'll cost me around $375.00 in parts for the 3 pieces I need (front of the clamshell, back of the clamshell, and the mirror itself).

But, that's unpainted black.

So, I'd have to...

A) buy 2 mirrors in black, so they match
B) get the new mirror painted
C) buy the passenger mirror and a pair of the carbon fiber covers

Right now, I'm still waiting to see what Tesla has to say in the matter.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Sometimes you can stop someone merging onto to just with the horn. I drive in the DC area and people are sometimes quite distracted. On more than one occasion I have woken someone back up into reality with my horn when they were about to merge onto me.

So glad the only damage was to the mirror...

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Sometimes you can stop someone merging onto to just with the horn. I drive in the DC area and people are sometimes quite distracted. On more than one occasion I have woken someone back up into reality with my horn when they were about to merge onto me.

So glad the only damage was to the mirror...

Sympathize for the damage and am glad it's just a busted side mirror.

I used to drive a bunch of Porsches, and my impression of DC metro traffic is that no one can actually see a small car like that (or like a Roadster). I've been nearly run over several times by well meaning folks in minivans and giant SUVS. Every time I honked, the driver popped up in their seat like a surprised prairie dog and craned their heads about trying to figure out where that honking was coming from.

Driving a small, low slung car, requires factoring in other drivers limited visibility of you. I don't ride motorcycles, but I suspect they also have the same issues.

The Elise/Exige mirror bases from the S2 appear to me to be exactly the same to me as well as the identical curvature and hollow base. I'm 100% confident they'll work on the Roadster and there's no difference at all between them. I wouldn't even doubt if the part# is identical (if stamped).

It seems like we are destined to butt heads wiztecy, and for that I apologize.
Here are pics of the difference between the Lotus and Tesla mirrors. The lotus mirror bases were solid in 05 and 06.The first one is a Lotus mirror ground down to fit on the Tesla. The second is the Lotus. The red ones are Tesla, showing the clearanced area.
teslamirrors 003.JPG
teslamirrors 005.JPG
teslamirrors 008.JPG
teslamirrors 009.JPG

Just wanted to circle back around on this, in case others are curious.

Went to Tesla Service Center on Tyco Road last night.

Bas (their awesome Roadster guy) installed the mirror while I waited. Only took them about an hour. They also gave it a hand-wash, and had their detail guy take the buffer/polisher to the scuff marks on the passenger door. Looks good as new now!

Total cost of this misadventure - $221.39

I'm very happy with both the work they performed and the out-the-door price.

Yay Tyco Road!

• Funny
Reactions: Steve in SLO
Cool. Glad it worked out Habious. Great to have a good Roadster tech connection!

Also thanks MAUTO for the clarification and pics on the subtle differences on the Roadster/Elise mirror. You can't see that difference unless the mirror is off the Roadster which you clearly showed the difference between them. I just looked at my Roadster, had to do a double take, and sure enough its shaved/cut-off at the bottom.