Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How not to wash a Tesla :)

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
All clay bar fans, detaling world forum members, 3 bucket method followers look away!!!

Car got to a point of been so dirty there was literally mud falling off the FWDs when I opened them. There was nothing for it but to clean the car.

A picture says 1000 words, so here it is, no pre rinse, single sponge and bucket plus an excitable toddler.....at least in 30K I still struggle to find a single parking dent, but swirl marks am sure are every where:)

49078640222_39a474b629_c_d.jpg

Tonybvi

Jul 28, 2019
NE Scotland
Reminds me of when I lived in a Norway and bought a brand new Volvo estate. Drove home in it, proudly showed it the family and went in for a cup of tea. Half an hour later went out to find my 3 year old daughter “washing the car” using sandpaper!! She wasn’t very popular with me for a while.

• Funny
Reactions: Cogarch

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
Nice.

Enjoy the the free labour while it lasts.

HaHa, I got told off by my mother in law for making her hands cold, and than by my wife for letting her sleeves get wet.....

Its a no win for me, still she had fun which is what really matters......At 3.5 she's already got me wrapped around her little finger, by the time she's 13 I suspect I would be the one doing the washing because she doesn't want to be seen out been driven around in a dirty car :).

sixela

Apr 25, 2019
Boechout
Hope she's not rinsing the sponge in the puddle while your not looking! :/
What he's not telling you is that his drive way and mud are made exclusively from 3 micron aluminium oxide. The puddle's just fine...

His daugher probably finishes that car with a pitch lap too -- not shown on the pictures.

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
I do that, and you know. I'm really not sure what that achieves....

I still have to get the bucket out to finish cleaning it. I'm not sure how much of the actual dirt it lifts off.

I use the Autoglym Polar products - very happy as give brilliant results - I did have to buy a snow foam attachment though as the dispenser built in to the pressure washer didn't foam as much as I had seen. Probably better products than the autoglym ones but they have a reputation to maintain and easily obtainable on high street - Halfords 10% off with AA card. You could start off with the wash and foamer.

Autoglym Polar is 3 part - pre wash, wash, seal but pre wash and seal are optional. First time I just pre washed and washed, but used the seal yesterday specifically because I wanted the roof glass to bead. I also used pre wash on my convertable, but couldn't wash or seal do just used wax shampoo with that. Next time I will modify my process and probably stick with Polar all round, just avoid getting on the hood.

Prewash and leave - jetwash (from a distance except inside wheel arches) off to rinse
Wash - once car is covered but still have foam mix left, quickly go over car with microfiber pad - no bucket, just foam on car - re spray/foam car with remainder of the wash - rinse off with jetwash (again, all from a distance)
Car is now clean
Apply seal - not direct to windscreen - it goes milky rather than foams - rinse off with jetwash (again from a distance)
Dry off with microfiber towel

Lovely finish. You can do just the wash. So just wash and dry.

I've only used snow foam products since getting Model 3 and great time saver and give brilliant results - quite expensive initial outlay but should last several years as its used quite diluted. Took just over an hour to do whole car start to finish and most of that was setup/shutdown and dancing around the wires and pipes of the pressure washer. I don't think there is any going back for me to regular washing methods.

Yesterday we had half a pine forest stuck to the car. It just dropped off with prewash and microfiber pad.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Wash - once car is covered but still have foam mix left

Don't get it, you rub the car while the snow foam is on the car?

I got this thing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0748KKC4Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. Foam the car
2. Wait 5 min then rinse
3. Wash with bucket + shampoo (turtlewax)
4. Dry

Then before or after do the floor mats and vacuum/wipe inside

I tried once to do just 3 and 4 and it was a bit harder to get the dirt off - primarily because the car was dry, but it was a bit faster.

I coated the car paint with DIY ceramic so the water beads on the paint. I find the car is mostly clean above the ridge except for mirrors. Might re-apply a coat once the winter is over. So no need for waxing and such. RainX for the glass, and usually re-apply windscreen every 2 months or so.

Takes 1h-1:30h to do both cars. The Sharan is a pain due to hight of the car... We hardly ever use that now, so it's mostly clean and I just Foam+Rinse it and leave it wet in this rainy weather.

I'd love to figure out a way for the pressure washer to do more...

My biggest pet peeve with the Tesla is that the dirt gets into the door frames. Mostly solved by putting on extra seals, but still annoying.

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Don't get it, you rub the car while the snow foam is on the car?

Yes, takes couple of minutes - its really just agitating it.

Your method is what I did on my convertible. Except your foam was my pre wash and your bucket was my jetwash and shampoo/carnauba wax dispenser. Next time I'll probably use polar all around and avoid the hood with the wash and seal - prewash is ok.

I was told not to wax ceramic coating so had to fid alternative to our shampoo/carnauba wax which is when I came across the snowfoam.

Door frames are cleaned when drying the car. There is enough residual moisture and foam in there to just wipe it over when drying with microfiber - its the last job so doesn't matter if drying cloth gets contaminated with a bit of residual foam as it just get rinsed out later.

Most of my time was setup/closedown and moving the jetwash around the car. Washing time is largely dictate by how long it takes to dispense a 5-600ml mix of foam. I could probably have done 2 cars with that quantity in same amount of time.

Last edited:

VanillaAir_UK

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Right, so just with dry mitt, rub the dirt through the foam, then jet wash off? You don't think that will scratch?

The mitt won't be dry, at least not when I apply it. Plus its already had a pre wash by then, so its already pretty clean and wet by then. But even if I did that at pre wash stage, its still pretty wet. Goes on and covers as foam, but soon starts flowing off the car taking dirt with it.

Thought there may have been a video but the stills still show how wet everything is. Polar Wash After agitating, I just finished up the mix that I had left in the bottle, then rinsed. Mine all worked as per the autoglym photos and videos once I worked out that I needed a separate foamer sprayer to get a better foam rather than using the inbuilt sprayer and mixer lance. The foamer/sprayer gave me more options with the mix than just using the built in dispenser and mixer lance.

Sounds like yours is staying as foam and not getting too wet? Maybe turning the mix down to add more water?

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC