Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the local Tesla showroom yesterday with every intention of test driving a performance model 3, none were available so I test drove a dual motor long range model.

It was my first time in a Tesla or any electric vehicle. The acceleration was ridiculous and addictive.

How noticeable is the improvement from the 4.4 seconds 0-60 of the dual motor long range model to the 3.2 seconds of the performance model? I know it's 1.2 seconds quicker to 60 but how does that translate to the seat of the pants experience of driving the car?

Thank you

How noticeable is the improvement from the 4.4 seconds 0-60 of the dual motor long range model to the 3.2 seconds of the performance model? I know it's 1.2 seconds quicker to 60

It's really not.

Tesla cheats. They dishonestly use 2 different measurements for P cars vs non-P cars.

Using the SAME measurement (1 foot rollout) to test the LR AWD you get ~3.9 seconds on that car, and about 3.0 flat on the P (these were verified at 4.0 and 3.1 using that measurement by car mags prior to the last free 5% software boost- said boost knocking about .1 off both)

If you buy the $2000 LR AWD acceleration boost it about halves the difference, taking the LR AWD (again measured the same way the P normally is) down to about 3.5 0-60

but how does that translate to the seat of the pants experience of driving the car?

Thank you

Without the $2000 AWD boost both cars about about identical once you're at 70 or faster... the P obviously being about 1 second quicker to get there.

With the 2k boost both cars are about identical from 50 and up, with the P being about half a second quicker to get to there.

Personally I'd ask your sales advisor if he can find you a P3D- (sometimes called a stealth P)- it's the P without the 20" boat anchor wheels, the brakes you won't want if not tracking the car, and without the 0.39" suspension drop... (oh, also no spoiler or sport pedals) but it's significantly cheaper.

Going from LR AWD to a P3D- is only $2000 more. Same as the LR AWD acceleration boost, but you get full P speed and track mode.

The catch is- you can't order one.

You can only take one from inventory- and only if there are any at the time- and you're stuck with whatever color (inside and out) they have available, and with the 18 or 19" wheels whichever the car has on it.

If you get lucky and find one in the combo you want (or can live with) then it's the best bang/buck going.

The difference would be being pushed back into your seat or being slammed back into your seat. G-forces.

The difference in g-force:

0-60 in 3 flat (P3) is 0.91g
0-60 in 3.5 (LR AWD w/boost) is 0.78g
0-60 in 3.9 (LR AWD no boost) is 0.7g

I find those differences noticeable but not jaw dropping any one versus another...

For contrast, a P100D in full ludicrous 0-60 in 2.28 is 1.2 gs and that's still a pretty holy crap/neck snap feeling compared to any of the others.

I find those differences noticeable but not jaw dropping any one versus another...

For contrast, a P100D in full ludicrous 0-60 in 2.28 is 1.2 gs and that's still a pretty holy crap/neck snap feeling compared to any of the others.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Elon, once you fulfill the Y orders, let's get on a Ludicrous Model 3. :p

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I am a LR AWD to LR AWD+Accel Boost convert.

Without a doubt, the off-menu stealth/sleeper Performance 3 was the best bang for your buck. It hasn't been available for a short while now, so nobody knows if, or when it will be available again. We seem to be in a time where there is little to no inventory of US cars, and new orders are estimated at 6-10 weeks for delivery.

Before I purchased the optional boost for my LR AWD, a good stomp of the go-pedal gave me a grin. With the boost, the same stomp gives me a smile and makes me go "owahhh".

I've never had the pleasure of riding in a 3P, but I'd imagine that would have me laughing out loud. I can't even imagine a pull in a Ludicrous equipped Model S :eek:

Went to the local Tesla showroom yesterday with every intention of test driving a performance model 3, none were available so I test drove a dual motor long range model.

It was my first time in a Tesla or any electric vehicle. The acceleration was ridiculous and addictive.

How noticeable is the improvement from the 4.4 seconds 0-60 of the dual motor long range model to the 3.2 seconds of the performance model? I know it's 1.2 seconds quicker to 60 but how does that translate to the seat of the pants experience of driving the car?

Thank you

1. what car do you drive now
2. how often do you go wide-open-throttle (w.o.t.)
3. how long do you maintain w.o.t.?
4. how often do you anticipate mashing this new car be it LR or Performance?

Meh, I experience 1.0g 24 hours a day and its no big deal.

I view it like watching a regular HDTV next to a 4K ultra HDTV. When they’re side by side you’ll notice that one is better but both seem great by themselves. I ended up buying a Performance because I found a great deal on one but the regular dual motor was plenty fast. The only place the performance really feels faster is from a dead stop aside from that they’re pretty similar IMO.

You just have to ask yourself how much It’ll bother you to know that you don’t have the fastest one. The reality is that all of the model 3 are plenty fast for daily driving. On the used market the prices really aren’t much different so I thought it was worth it to get the P and have no chance of regrets.

On the used market the prices really aren’t much different...
This raises a question. If one were looking at used certified pre-owned Tesla Model 3 on the Tesla website, how would one spot a pre-owned P Stealth...a Dual Motor Long Range with the Performance's acceleration profile?

Would the features list state:
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 162mph
  • Track Mode
????

It's really not.

Tesla cheats. They dishonestly use 2 different measurements for P cars vs non-P cars.

Using the SAME measurement (1 foot rollout) to test the LR AWD you get ~3.9 seconds on that car, and about 3.0 flat on the P (these were verified at 4.0 and 3.1 using that measurement by car mags prior to the last free 5% software boost- said boost knocking about .1 off both)

If you buy the $2000 LR AWD acceleration boost it about halves the difference, taking the LR AWD (again measured the same way the P normally is) down to about 3.5 0-60

Without the $2000 AWD boost both cars about about identical once you're at 70 or faster... the P obviously being about 1 second quicker to get there.

With the 2k boost both cars are about identical from 50 and up, with the P being about half a second quicker to get to there.

Personally I'd ask your sales advisor if he can find you a P3D- (sometimes called a stealth P)- it's the P without the 20" boat anchor wheels, the brakes you won't want if not tracking the car, and without the 0.39" suspension drop... (oh, also no spoiler or sport pedals) but it's significantly cheaper.

Going from LR AWD to a P3D- is only $2000 more. Same as the LR AWD acceleration boost, but you get full P speed and track mode.

The catch is- you can't order one.

You can only take one from inventory- and only if there are any at the time- and you're stuck with whatever color (inside and out) they have available, and with the 18 or 19" wheels whichever the car has on it.

If you get lucky and find one in the combo you want (or can live with) then it's the best bang/buck going.
This is one thoroughly thought out and informative message.

also. Once you drive the P, it may ruin you for the non P AWD.
I think, if you can’t find a P- and don’t want the big summer wheels, etc, then the $2k upgrade is beyond worth it and gets you damn close to the P in performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
This raises a question. If one were looking at used certified pre-owned Tesla Model 3 on the Tesla website, how would one spot a pre-owned P Stealth...a Dual Motor Long Range with the Performance's acceleration profile?

Would the features list state:
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 162mph
  • Track Mode
????

Don't rely on written descriptions- they're notoriously worthless in the used Tesla market.

Look at the screen displaying info about the car (pic of car, vin, etc).

If there's a red underline beneath dual motor it's a P. If there isn't, it's not.

(track mode being present would also be definitive, only Ps have track mode, but the red underline is easier)