Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you.

So, if one were looking on the Tesla site at an otherwise typical used Dual Motor Long Range (18" wheels, no spoiler, etc), then an underlined badge rear Dual Motor badge would be a good indicator of a P Stealth.

On the Tesla site? Probably.

Used from anyplace else? You can buy a red underline badge for any car. Check the actual screen display for the red underline.

Plus for most of 2018 they weren't giving out badges, so it's pretty likely there's a decent # of P3D- with no badge at all, but the screen will still be correct.

Thank you.

So, if one were looking on the Tesla site at an otherwise typical used Dual Motor Long Range (18" wheels, no spoiler, etc), then an underlined badge rear Dual Motor badge would be a good indicator of a P Stealth.
Yes, but I'd definitely want to see it on screen, too. There's nothing preventing Tesla from flashing a Stealth to normal LR AWD software.

Also confirming that the red underline is there on stealth's (Rear badge and about screen).

Thank you.

Yes, but the rear badge can be removed and/or faked.. the underline on the about screen would be much harder to fake, at least in person.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
This raises a question. If one were looking at used certified pre-owned Tesla Model 3 on the Tesla website, how would one spot a pre-owned P Stealth...a Dual Motor Long Range with the Performance's acceleration profile?

Would the features list state:
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 162mph
  • Track Mode
????

The used market can be tricky as a lot of dealers really don't know that much about Tesla or how the vehicles options work so you need to make sure to get the right questions answered. I agree with the other poster that says you need to get a screen shot of the info screen and look for the red line because I haven't found any other reliable method to identify a stealth P. I also recommend getting a screen shot of the autopilot screen to see if summon and navigate on autopilot is enabled to help determine if it might have EAP or FSD.

Funny story about that. I found my Performance model at a used Chevy dealership in a different state using a TruCar.com search. They advertised it as a dual motor because there were no badges and the VIN only told them "dual motor"...

I saw the add the day it was posted, saw the red calipers, spoiler, and large rims in the pics and assumed it was a P. I had them take a picture of the info screen and the autopilot screen that confirmed for me that it was a P with either EAP or FSD. I got on a plane the next morning to buy it at considerably less than market for a P. Turned out to be a P with FSD, Paint Protection Film across the whole front end, Tint, and lifetime premium connectivity for about what you'd pay for a dual motor with regular autopilot. It just goes to show that there are deals to be had if you search but you need to be patient. I had been looking for 6 months.

I understand the importance of verifying a Stealth P by checking the car's info screen and not relying on the badge.

I was interested in a relatively quick way to identify a Stealth P among listings on the official Tesla pre-owned website, and an underlined Dual Motor badge seems to be a good start.

I have purchased several used cars though the years, but they have all been CPO cars purchased from authorized dealers. I am not inclined to purchase a used Tesla from a private party or non-Tesla dealer.

Thanks again.

Apologies to the OP for this sidebar discussion.

Reactions: JasonR67
I understand the importance of verifying a Stealth P by checking the car's info screen and not relying on the badge.

I was interested in a relatively quick way to identify a Stealth P among listings on the official Tesla pre-owned website, and an underlined Dual Motor badge seems to be a good start.

Thanks again.

Sorry, I don't know if it gets listed as a Performance model or not in their database. I suspect they are going to try and get top dollar for the car and list it as such but I can't say for sure.

Funny story about that. I found my Performance model at a used Chevy dealership in a different state using a TruCar.com search. They advertised it as a dual motor because there were no badges and the VIN only told them "dual motor"...
This is also a true story. There is a dealer in Pomona, CA, that sells only BEVs and hybrids. They had a white Model S P90D at a very reasonable price but somehow they missed that underline, for Ludicrous Mode. You'd think they'd know what they had, but they did not. Somebody snatched it before I could.

FWIW - the stealth is also noted as a performance model on the car's title work.

edit: forgot to mention that I can tell the difference between the performance and AWD versions. I love having the stealth and would have also been very happy with the regular AWD.

• Helpful
Went to the local Tesla showroom yesterday with every intention of test driving a performance model 3, none were available so I test drove a dual motor long range model.

It was my first time in a Tesla or any electric vehicle. The acceleration was ridiculous and addictive.

How noticeable is the improvement from the 4.4 seconds 0-60 of the dual motor long range model to the 3.2 seconds of the performance model? I know it's 1.2 seconds quicker to 60 but how does that translate to the seat of the pants experience of driving the car?

Thank you

I notice the difference, however my wife doesn't.

I mean I really notice the difference.

I'm not sure what the difference really is, as I haven't driven a boosted LR. But the P3D is ridiculously fast and enjoyable. I can't wait to take it to a track to really put it through its paces.

Last year...I officially received a 2.8 0-60 time 3 times in a row at the Joliet Autobahn here in Illinois.

Like you - I can't wait to see what the times are since we have received the latest update.

2.7? 2.6? WOW!!

Last year...I officially received a 2.8 0-60 time 3 times in a row at the Joliet Autobahn here in Illinois.

Which is almost .2 faster than anyone else ever, and .3-.4 quicker than anyone else ever at the time you did it (since it was before the 5% updates), which is why it's very, very, very hard to believe.

More likely the equipment had an issue or wasn't calibrated correctly since nobody else ever has replicated it or even come close.

I'm not sure what the difference really is, as I haven't driven a boosted LR. But the P3D is ridiculously fast and enjoyable. I can't wait to take it to a track to really put it through its paces.
There’s a bigger numerical difference in G forces between the Boosted and Performance than there is between the Boosted and not boosted. So yes, noticeable difference :D

• Informative