Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't anything else to discuss. How "noticeable" acceleration is between two relatively fast cars is entirely subjective. Once you've discussed the objective metrics (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc), you are left with people's wildly different impressions of acceleration. Not to mention very few posting in this thread have actually driven an LR AWD with acceleration boost and a P3D back-to-back anyway. So pointless thread becomes pointless.

Pointless to you maybe, but I value the opinion of others and decide not to “waste” $2k on the upgrade in large part due to this thread.

You do realize you can try it out and return it, right?

I do, but I don’t think the return window was intended for people to try it. It was a fox for an obvious issue with single touch purchasing. I also don’t feel like dealing with trying to get money back from a company that is notoriously bad at anything resembling customer service post purchase.

I do, but I don’t think the return window was intended for people to try it. It was a fox for an obvious issue with single touch purchasing. I also don’t feel like dealing with trying to get money back from a company that is notoriously bad at anything resembling customer service post purchase.

There has been posts about getting refunded in a couple days after purchasing the boost option when asking for a refund. Seems like its pretty easy now. If anything, you should try it but in a controlled fashion. Charge to 90%, find an empty desert road and do a 0-60,80,100 run. Buy the boost (i hear the feature turns on immediately) then do the same run. That may be the only way to tell if the option is a value to you.

Pointless to you maybe, but I value the opinion of others and decide not to “waste” $2k on the upgrade in large part due to this thread.

Initially I thought it would be a waste of money too, but then decided to get it and haven't regretted it. If off the line acceleration isn't your thing, then it won't appeal to you. Me, I've always been into muscle cars but couldn't justify the $11k extra for the Performance, when I was ready to buy and I didn't know about the Stealth Performance or I would have gotten it. So $2k was a small price to pay to "muscle up" my AWD dual motor and makes my smile even bigger, when I punch it.

Reactions: LakersCentral
I want to purchase the boost but has anyone noticed a difference in every day efficiency when they *aren't* slamming on the pedal?

My only concern is, yeah the acceleration will be fun and after the first week I'll use it once a month but that's not worth any loss in daily range.

I want to purchase the boost but has anyone noticed a difference in every day efficiency when they *aren't* slamming on the pedal?

My only concern is, yeah the acceleration will be fun and after the first week I'll use it once a month but that's not worth any loss in daily range.

...why would there be any loss in range?

If you're not using the extra power, it won't consume extra energy.

I bought the 2k acceleration boost and could definitely tell a difference, then a day went by and I started to get into my head thinking well maybe the difference wasnt that big and requested a refuned. When it got reverted back into non-boost I instantly could tell the difference and had huge regret about getting the refund. Once I got the money back into my account I went and bought it again. Will not request a refund this time.

I bought the 2k acceleration boost and could definitely tell a difference, then a day went by and I started to get into my head thinking well maybe the difference wasnt that big and requested a refuned. When it got reverted back into non-boost I instantly could tell the difference and had huge regret about getting the refund. Once I got the money back into my account I went and bought it again. Will not request a refund this time.
I was in the same boat, bought it and thought NA hardly worth it and got a refund. Did not repurchase.
Ill just put the 2k down on a actual performance model soon.

Reactions: SlimJim

I purchased the boost for my birthday April27. It's one of the best presents I've every bought for myself. My son just drove the car for the first time and agrees it was well worth the money.

The difference in g-force:

0-60 in 3 flat (P3) is 0.91g
0-60 in 3.5 (LR AWD w/boost) is 0.78g
0-60 in 3.9 (LR AWD no boost) is 0.7g

I find those differences noticeable but not jaw dropping any one versus another...

For contrast, a P100D in full ludicrous 0-60 in 2.28 is 1.2 gs and that's still a pretty holy crap/neck snap feeling compared to any of the others.

Excellent explanation—thank you!

I test drove a LR AWD but as we were ordering our Model 3 minutes after the test drive (first time we had actually even seen a Tesla up close), my wife decided she wanted Red and the sales guy found a Red Stealth in line to be built. I figured may as well spend the extra $2000 as eventually the extra acceleration might even help prevent an accident if the car can react to something like a potential T-bone in an intersection and get out of the way faster...that was what I told my wife at the time anyway .

Overall, the smile factor on acceleration is the same between the two...although the difference was noticeable. Feels like your face is melting just a bit more in the stealth. But really depends on your driving styles...I tend to enjoy being first off of a stop light or smoothly and safely (if a tad abruptly) launching around traffic driving too slow. Luckily my wife enjoys it too. The dog is learning what hold on means.

On mountain driving, well that is a blast probably with either car but all I can say is the stealth is more fun than my wife’s beefed up BMW M3 convertible and even the jaguar xk8 we used to own. The extra acceleration helps on massively curvy roads.

I've owned both and it is very noticable, like going from a "wow!!" to a "WHOA!!!"

That said, I accelerate to that speed less than I thought I would once I got my 3p, mostly because it gets so fast so quick that you have to be careful in city streets
Haha, good way to describe it. We've got a his (Red P) and hers (white LR AWD)....Her's has a great kick most people have never experienced in an ICE, but mine is holy crap

That said, I've done the launch several times on a S-100P with full battery and that is WTF

yeah. I don't even feel my performance 3 anymore. The acceleration feels normal to me and if I sit in a gas car it feels like the car is broken.
I know if I'd drive a P100D the performance 3 would feel slow(er) too.

ForeverEV hits the nail on the head though. The acceleration is a one trick pony and I practically never press the pedal more than 1/4 because the acceleration is just too much.
The joy of i.e. nice steering, suspension, driving dynamics is something much more omnipresent and thats why i.e. german car manufacturers spent a lot more time with this rather than increasing performance. The result is i.e. BMW V12s from the 90s which have a 0 - 60 of 6 seconds. It's good enough and noone wants to sit in a Mustang shitbox cruising at 180kmh on the german autobahn. Even if it is quicker.

The difference in g-force:

0-60 in 3 flat (P3) is 0.91g
0-60 in 3.5 (LR AWD w/boost) is 0.78g
0-60 in 3.9 (LR AWD no boost) is 0.7g

I find those differences noticeable but not jaw dropping any one versus another...

For contrast, a P100D in full ludicrous 0-60 in 2.28 is 1.2 gs and that's still a pretty holy crap/neck snap feeling compared to any of the others.

Can you please clarify where you got "0-60 in 3.9 (LR AWD no boost)" from? Tesla says the LR AWD 0-60 is 4.4 seconds.