TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How o set homelink without a remote

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Sans Gas, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Sans Gas

Sans Gas Member

I left my remote in rental car from Enterprise when I picked up my Tesla in Orlando and drove back to Fort Myers area on the west coast. They have the remote but refuse to mail it to me, company policy.

Is there someway to activate HomeLink without the remote? I want to avoid driving 5-6 hours to pick up remote and return home.

2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

It's not possible to program Homelink without a remote control, Homelink needs to receive a signal from a transmitter.

3. nigelboid

nigelboid Member

For most garage door openers, you can just buy a new remote. Reprogram your opener with the new remote and do the same with Homelink.

Checking a few search results, you can likely pick up a compatible remote for $30 or less.

Good luck!

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Weird. I see reports online as recently as a year ago of Enterprise returning items left in vehicles. If you lived across the country they'd hold your property hostage until you flew back to pick it up personally? Sounds fishy. Their rental agreement states they're not responsible for loss of property left in vehicles, but in this case the item isn't lost. They've confirmed they have it.

Pretty strange stuff.

5. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

You could hire a TaskRabbit-like service to run by and pick up the remote for you and then mail it.

6. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Just borrow a neighbor's remote. In reality the homelink cloning is really only learning the type of remote. With rolling codes you then pair your remote (homelink) with your specific garage door. I used the same remote to pair both of my garage door openers. Once cloned they have a unique rolling code going forward. You just need to find a neighbor with the same brand of door. If it was builder installed the will be the same throughout the neighborhood.

7. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Where's Bjorn?