TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How often and how many times have you had flat tire?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by VMark, Apr 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. VMark

VMark Member

Reading this thread What do you do when you have a flat tire on a MX made me wonder how often and how many times MX owners have had flats? Seems like many have experienced at least one in the first few months of owning a MX? Some statistics will be good...

I had my first flat yesterday in just over a month of owning MX. Replacing front passenger tire today.

What is your statistics? How many flats in how many months/years with MX? Is there a trend or pattern?

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The last flat tire I had was in 2005 and that was a slow leak.

3. hill

hill Member

The leaf went flat just a couple weeks ago ... TWO, on the right side. Not that it'd matter if it was one, as it too has no spare. Smacked a curb avoiding some tool aimlessly running out into traffic & thus, my reaction saved the tool's life, but killed the sidewalls. I guess that was better than being in the X - thinking the car would help negotiate the situation. Instead of a few hundred for 2 tires, I'd be racked with guilt over the notion I'd thinned out the defective gene pool.
    But yea ... gotta get a donut spare for both ev's - even if it's just for peace of mind.

4. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Then be ready to also carry whatever jack it takes to lift a Tesla from underneath the battery. I would also forsake a lot of storage space and the extra weight for the peace of mind, but I just don't see how it's feasible. The only thing I can think of that could lift the car would be one of those floor jacks with the big lift handle, and even the aluminum ones weigh almost 40 lbs, which would be a pain to take out of the car, not to mention how much room they would take. If there's something less heavy or bulky that would do the job, I would love to know.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I got a roofing nail in one tire last month, which never turned into a flat (TPMS alerted me and I kept it inflated until things were fixed.) It may or may not have anything to do with the house they are building down the street.

• Funny x 1
  6. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I would change that "may or may not" to definitely, myself. I would drive extra slow and with lot of wariness down your street until that house gets finished and other people finish picking up all the nails on the road with their car tires.

7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

You could almost do it with jackstands, but I'm not sure if it'd be safe - it depends on the details of the air suspension components.

The theory here would be: set car to very high, insert jack stands at the four jacking points, set car to very low. That should take all of the weight off of the wheels and even provide enough clearance for a full tire to replace a flat one I think. It won't lift the wheels into the air like the old citroen systems would, and I'm not certain if emptying the air chambers completely can damage them on the Tesla system.

Therefore this approach is currently not recommended.

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I don't think they were doing roofing at the time, but I was definitely driving past contractor trucks. I certainly never saw anything on the road...

9. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I don't know if the air suspension would respond to lowering if it doesn't get the feedback of the car lowering. But if they make one of those scissor jacks that's short enough to fit under the battery, it could work. You would only need to raise one corner of the car (I think, I don't see where the owners manual says either way, you have to infer it). But look forward to reading what people say about this.

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I've owned teslas for 3+ years, model S. I've been lucky I suppose, no flats.
    in my other cars, other than slow leaks the last flat that needed changing on the road was about 12 years ago, I drove over a knife in the road and parked the car and returned to a flat tire.
    things happen, and when I know I will be traveling in my car in remote areas I have a full sized spare that I bring along.

11. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

What do you use to jack up the car?

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

road service

13. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Yup. Road service is usually pretty good at jacking up cars... :p

14. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the point of carrying the tire is that it is not a mainstream tire size and if you destroy the tire a replacement could be many hours or even days away depending on how far out of the population centers you go.

15. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Is there anything smaller than a full size tire that will work, at least temporarily and with reduced speed?

16. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

That's fair. I was just trying to be funny with the paradigm shift on jacking up. :)

17. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I see your point, and also anyone can do the service, even if with some guidance. You don't need to be waiting on Tesla, or have to have the car towed because they have a spare they can mount.

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Many people have gotten a BMW spare that has the right OD and bolt pattern for the Model S. I think it still needs a hubcentric ring for proper fitment though.

• Helpful x 1
  19. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

• Helpful x 2
  20. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

This looks great, but the Model X is 1,200 lbs heavier than the BMW X3 (also 15 inches longer and 7.5 inches wider), and the tires on the Model X are 265/275 while the X3 are 245. Is it just a matter of the wheel fitting correctly on the hub?

Did you also get their Jack Kit, or is your plan, like someone else said, to call for roadside service?