Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often and how many times have you had flat tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a flat tire early this year on the rear passenger tire on my X. VIDEO It was about $650 to take care of it all (new tire / refinish rims / fix some trim). Tesla handled the experience very well but the guy (likely a 3rd party) who gave me a loaner tire had no idea what he was doing (check out the video). For some reason Tesla noted on the service receipt that the flat tire was a result of hitting a curve...not sure why they wrote that.

I also got some air on my tires from American Tire today. They said my front tires are at 5/32 while my rear are at 6/32. I am at 20k miles currently, is that wear normal?

• Informative
Reactions: VMark
@VMark I am also at a 6 or 7 tread after ~11,000 miles so about the same results. I am on the Continental 20" tires. I have read in other postings that the Michelin tires are supposedly longer lasting (but louder as well).

@K-MTG are you using Michelin tires on your X? Being at 5 or 6 after 20k miles is amazing tread life for a Model X based on what I have heard from others. I am anticipating needing new tires around 15k miles or so....

• Informative
Reactions: VMark
@VMark I am also at a 6 or 7 tread after ~11,000 miles so about the same results. I am on the Continental 20" tires. I have read in other postings that the Michelin tires are supposedly longer lasting (but louder as well).

@K-MTG are you using Michelin tires on your X? Being at 5 or 6 after 20k miles is amazing tread life for a Model X based on what I have heard from others. I am anticipating needing new tires around 15k miles or so....

I am on continentals 20 inch, I did have the rear passenger tire replaced after 11k miles due to flat tire.

Is 20k good? How many more miles do you think I will get?

On my old MDX I did 38k lol

Also how significant is the noise difference between Michelin and continentals?

@K-MTG thanks for sharing. I've ready every thread on Model X tire replacement but surprisingly there isn't a conclusive result for those that have shared their experiences. Glad this thread popped up honestly.

Tires seem to wear more quickly on Model X from three reasons: first Model X is crazy heavy. Second Model X has the staggered tires where the back tires are wider than the front and hence you can not rotate. Third if you drive in low or very low suspension mode it can accelerate inner tread wear as the tires bow inward a bit. I've disabled the auto-lowering feature for now.

Early adopters last year on Continental were reporting having to replace between 15K and 20K miles. Looks like I'm on that track. You are doing very well comparatively so I was curious if anything was different.

As for the Michelins ... I don't have first hand experience on the noise but know they don't include the "foam" inside the tire which the Continentals use to make them more quiet. Others who made the switch have said everything from "horribly louder" to "no big deal" so I am just as curious as you!

Interesting note --> TireRack no longer shows the front Continentals listed on their website. Have they been discontinued? This happened sometime in the past month. They do have the Michelins and a few other options.

Were you on 20" tires on that X?

I should have specified that was an Acura MDX.

@K-MTG thanks for sharing. I've ready every thread on Model X tire replacement but surprisingly there isn't a conclusive result for those that have shared their experiences. Glad this thread popped up honestly.

Tires seem to wear more quickly on Model X from three reasons: first Model X is crazy heavy. Second Model X has the staggered tires where the back tires are wider than the front and hence you can not rotate. Third if you drive in low or very low suspension mode it can accelerate inner tread wear as the tires bow inward a bit. I've disabled the auto-lowering feature for now.

Early adopters last year on Continental were reporting having to replace between 15K and 20K miles. Looks like I'm on that track. You are doing very well comparatively so I was curious if anything was different.

As for the Michelins ... I don't have first hand experience on the noise but know they don't include the "foam" inside the tire which the Continentals use to make them more quiet. Others who made the switch have said everything from "horribly louder" to "no big deal" so I am just as curious as you!

Interesting note --> TireRack no longer shows the front Continentals listed on their website. Have they been discontinued? This happened sometime in the past month. They do have the Michelins and a few other options.

I had it auto lower at 65 MPH for the first 16k miles and after that I disabled the autolower. Only use it on long drives.

Twice now I have plugged a leaky tire. It is an uncomfortable feeling not having a spare (sure I could carry one taking up space in the frunk) . But that's new cars today for ya. No spare to save weight, money etc.......
I replaced my 2 rear tires recently because I did not want to chance getting stuck somewhere waiting on a tow. Even my daughters Hyundai comes with a air compressor and foam can

@DrivingRockies isnt the correct front tire size P255? Will the P245 size work? Report back your results I guess.

Looks like almost all of us are tracking the same except for @K-MTG. He must have magic Continentals to get that sort of wear. Either that or maybe they wear unevenly and we will be sitting at 7/6/5 for like 10k miles? Maybe the first few mm of tread wear off more quickly?

The adventures of limited and odd tire availability for Model X!!

@DrivingRockies isnt the correct front tire size P255? Will the P245 size work? Report back your results I guess.

Looks like almost all of us are tracking the same except for @K-MTG. He must have magic Continentals to get that sort of wear. Either that or maybe they wear unevenly and we will be sitting at 7/6/5 for like 10k miles? Maybe the first few mm of tread wear off more quickly?

The adventures of limited and odd tire availability for Model X!!

I decided to look at my former Tesla service records and found some interesting results. Based on this (info below) my tires have the same wear at 9k miles as they do today? Not sure who's result are more accurate. Tesla or American Tire. The guy at American Tire said he recommends having them changed at 4/32 so I have some more life left. I also had the rear passenger tire replaced February of 2017 due to a flat.

Tesla Service July - 2016: (2173 Miles)
LF 6/7/6
RF 7/7/6
RR 6/6/6
LR 6/7/6

Tesla Service Feb - 2017: (9520 Miles)
LF: 5 5 5
RF: 5 5 5
LR: 6 6 6
RR: 6 6 6

CURRENT (American Tire): Sept. 2017 (20,500 miles)
Front: 5/32
Rear: 6/32.

But the tire and wheel sizes are different on the front and rear. If your flat isn't the full size you're carrying, won't there be an issue? It's a 50/50 chance.
On most AWD vehicles, all that matters is that the rolling circumference of the tire be similar (within 1% typically). I haven’t calculated the staggered setup on the X, but I assume they’re similar.

My X6M had staggered wheels (275/40R20 and 315/35R20) and a 185/70R19 spare. As long as you match the circumference and the wheel can physically fit you should be fine.

If you’re going to pick a full sized spare, choose the narrower front. The wider rear may rub in turns if you mount it on the front.

20" continentals at 19.5k miles. I didn't measure but plenty of thread left. 15 months old.

But, I had two screws and two nails removed from different tires during this time. No flats. All TPMS warnings and fixed at the local discount tire (for free).

I had one nail in the 9 years a drove my previous car (VW GTI with 18" low profile tires)

Reading this thread What do you do when you have a flat tire on a MX made me wonder how often and how many times MX owners have had flats? Seems like many have experienced at least one in the first few months of owning a MX? Some statistics will be good...

I had my first flat yesterday in just over a month of owning MX. Replacing front passenger tire today.

What is your statistics? How many flats in how many months/years with MX? Is there a trend or pattern?

I have replaced three tires in 18 months on the S. I complained that the tires should have a warranty and that I've never had this problem with previous vehicles, (Porsche and Infinity). The service Manager politely observed that I was unlucky.

isnt the correct front tire size P255? Will the P245 size work? Report back your results I guess.
Funny you should ask. I asked the Service Center to confirm they were the same as what I had on my vehicle. They said they were identical. We'll see...
20170915_154310.jpg
20170916_144048.jpg