TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How often are you charging?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Odoylerules240, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odoylerules240

#1 Odoylerules240, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    just wondering how everyone is on charging?

I’m almost doing it daily because just like to drive so much of it lol.

Also any recommendation?
    Should it be drained more before charge?
    Or charge as much as you can?

Free super charging gotta take advantage of it! Never know when they gonna start charging

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

• Like x 1
  3. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I charge daily to 80% and don't let it go below 20%. I only charge above 80% if I need to for a longer trip. I wouldn't use Superchargers on a daily basis either as the higher charge rate is not good for the battery longevity.

• Like x 1
  4. animorph

animorph Member

Lots of small charges are better than fewer large charges. The closer you stay to 50% charge the better. That's just what I've taken from reading TMC for a couple of years, and it's pretty much just generic lithium battery advice. But I haven't seen anyone claim crazy degradation if you stray from this. Tesloop Supercharged their S's to 100% every day and their batteries were fine. So you can just do what Tesla says (plugged in, above 90% only for travel) or try to optimize a bit more. Maybe in 10 years we'll have better data.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Apparently @Odoylerules240 didn’t RTFM. The battery section gives you Tesla’s recommendation IN UPPER CASE LIKE THIS, so they must think it is important to follow.

6. Mrcook4590

Mrcook4590 Member

Every day to 80. My husband usually only charges his S once or maybe twice a week. He drives less than I do, though. I'm the kid hauler...

7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Basically 90% of us charge everyday. The others who don't usually are those without reliable home charging options. Don't worry about specific charging habits, the battery management computer makes it really hard to kill your battery unless you drain it to zero multiple times a week and charge to 100% everyday.

I charge to 80%. Your battery is likely to outlast basically every other component in the car (even the drive unit)

• Like x 2
  8. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Well... when 3 owners complain about how Tesla stopped offering free charging I can refer them to this thread as to why it went away...

• Funny x 2
  9. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

was 80 percent for daily now 70 percent for daily. Range is amazing. In fact I started leaving my AC on when parked for a few hours to keep interior climate controlled to 69 degrees. My dash cam like that when parked in summer daylight. It never overheats. Why do I do this? Because we can.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Closing this thread. Use the one linked to in the second post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.