Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often can I max charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty much decided to get a 2021 or newer S long range. I may buy used, because it looks like I can save $10,000-$20,000. I regularly make about a 225 mile day trip. As I understand it, that is less than 80% of the normal range, and I gather one should not normally charge over 80%. Still, on longer trips, I would want to max out the charge. Is there any rule of thumb as to how often one can max charge?

I am pretty much decided to get a 2021 or newer S long range. I may buy used, because it looks like I can save $10,000-$20,000. I regularly make about a 225 mile day trip. As I understand it, that is less than 80% of the normal range, and I gather one should not normally charge over 80%. Still, on longer trips, I would want to max out the charge. Is there any rule of thumb as to how often one can max charge?
2021 MSLR has a rated range of 402, Assuming a 5% degradation, charging to 80% should still give a 305 mile range. You are not going to get rated range, actual range varies greatly based on speed, weather and many other factors (this has been discussed a few times in TMC forums.). I usually estimate only getting about 80% rated range, which at an 80% charge is 244 miles which is barely adequate for your 225 mile trip.

I would use ABetterRoutePlanner.com to map out your trip and see if it would work for you. ABRP allows you to adjust many factors and is pretty accurate on projecting range. I would also check out if there are superchargers on your trip. Always nice to have as an option if you had a bad efficiency day. You will need a quick charge in the winter as that cuts range by approx 30%. I expect you would have to work hard to plan a 225 trip around Baltimore without going near a SuC.

There is are lots of discussions about daily charging to 80% vs 90%, I regularly charge to 90% and have not seen any impact on degradation. The risks associated with charging battery to 100% far outweigh the few extra miles of range you get vs charging to 95%. I never charge to 100% unless I know I can time my departure so the car does not sit and that extra range is absolutely needed get to next charging option. Charging is so quick, better to add a stop for a few mins than risk battery damage.

Also, make sure to think about you home charging options. The standard UMC on a 40 amp (NEMA 14-50) outlet will charge at max speed of 27mph so your daily trip is going to need ~10-11 hours to charge back to 80% overnight. I would recommend installing a HPWC which will give max speeds of 34mph (@50amp ~8.5 hours) or 41mph (@60amp ~7.25 hours)

Thanks for the feedback. Is HPWC the same as 220?
Telsa High Power Wall Charger or Wall Charger, See these links for more info:

Also, see this link for details about EVSE rebates in Maryland.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Charge to 100% as much as you need taking road trips. Bad weather, a detour, an accident on the road, missing an exit, ... there are many things that can go 'wrong' on a trip suddenly messing up your plans. If you need to charge to 100% on a daily basis, you should look for ways to limit that. But if it's for the occasional trip, don't worry about it and set it to 100%.

Yes it is more detrimental for the battery to be charged to 100%, but it only makes a noticeable and significant difference if you do it on a daily basis. Say you come home at night and plug in and it's charging to 100% and you do that every day. That's not good and not necessary as you don't need to drive the full range and have no option to charge. That's why Tesla recommends to keep it at 85-90% for daily use.