Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do Tesla owners run out of charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really enjoy these kinds of questions. Mr. Kriesel, how often do you run out of gas? I bet your answer is never.
Not sure it's worth responding further or at least spending more than 1-2 minutes to write a reply. The OP has never posted again.

From jkriesel, "jkriesel was last seen: Sep 7, 2017". If we don't see an more activity in a week or two, I think this thread ought to be locked, to save everyone's time as it'd be evidence the OP really wasn't interested in participating.

Reactions: David99 and Akikiki
I drive a 2012 Leaf and have never even hit turtle mode. Never used a DCFC either and primarily just charge over night at home. Been below 5 miles a few times when I got home but once you know your EV and what it is or isn't capable of it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure when I get my Model 3 it will be like a dream come true with all the range it will have plus the available destination and superchargers nearly everywhere.

Reactions: gavine
Not sure it's worth responding further or at least spending more than 1-2 minutes to write a reply. The OP has never posted again.

From jkriesel, "jkriesel was last seen: Sep 7, 2017". If we don't see an more activity in a week or two, I think this thread ought to be locked, to save everyone's time as it'd be evidence the OP really wasn't interested in participating.
I'd suggest it's still a worthwhile thread for those seriously seeking to know what happens in practice. (For those that don't want to read the entire thread, the bottom line is: Seldom if ever, and a lot less than ICE cars will run out of gas.)

In Florida, trips require a lot of good planning, I arrived in Ocala last week with 10 miles, it was scary. There are so few chargers for size of the state. It's as big as Calif, but so few chargers. Not even one at Disney. Have to pay toll to get to one in Orlando. The service center folks are jerks, I was shopping and needed charge, quote, we only charge our customers. Excuse me, I am a customer, this is a Corp center. The jax service center has no charger. The one in salt lake city had 6 public chargers. Bottomline, you have to be a good planner, i have been in 20 states, it was a challenge to say the least.

Florida road trip down to 21 miles after battery cooled down overnight. At SC with 14. Lots of sockets where I was staying but cable would not let me charge. I had to dial down amps to 8 amps after I figured it out it would charge. Also road trip to Troy NY with college tour in winter had 21 mi and dropped with the temperature found a vacant socket leeching off it for 6 mi I had enough to get to SC in Albany. Both poor planning on my part.

I haven't seen what is at the new service center in Salt Lake City yet, but you're making Salt Lake City sound like a difficult travel location. Why didn't you go to the 10 stall Supercharger at the South Salt Lake City store (the old service center)?
Agreed, having a 10 stall Supercharger at the Tesla store proper nearly right down town in SLC makes it relatively stress free actually - compared to being in downtown Portland or Seattle the last couple years. It's nice those two cities are now getting SC's near their core so you don't have to plan ahead much like SLC.

FWIW, still no change. OP's last seen date is the same.

Wonder if the OP was a toss (a grenade) and run troll...

5 years 103k miles never happened.

One additional benefit of EVs is how low their consumption is if there is unforeseen traffic. Unless it is extremely cold weather with active heating of the cabin or pack, being stopped/creeping along while the car is on consumes very little. There are often “surprise” snowstorms in the southeast where everybody leaves work at the same time and jams up the roads. Many ICE vehicles end up getting abandoned after running out of gas.

I'm assuming the OP is not an owner or lessee of a Tesla, so for the benefit of those who are unfamiliar with the data available to the operator of a Tesla, I give you a relatively simple case study in why we will very rarely run out of power on the road. . . a little more prosaic than empirical but I think the point is made.

On December 2, I took my wife and two of our kids to Indianapolis from Chicago for the Badgers v. OSU Big Ten Championship. The game did not go as planned. They would nearly make up for missing the playoff by beating Miami in their hostile home stadium in the Orange Bowl, but I digress.

For the first time in 9000 miles, I charged the S90D to 100% the night before our departure to Indy, and left with 293 miles of range in "Range Mode". The onboard Nav told me I'd make it to Lafayette SC with 35% remaining. The entire trip to Indy (including the two stops) was 215 miles. Given that we had lots of battery plus we knew we would hit the supercharger on the way, we had the tunes blasting and I was driving 10-12 over the speed limit. Didn't concern myself with range at all.

On the way down, we had time to stop at Three Floyds Brewery in Munster (highly recommend it), which is slightly out of the way, and arrive at the Lafayette SC with plenty of time and charge to spare. I topped off to around 75%, assuming I'd be able to make the round trip to Indy, take in the game, stop at the Carmel hotel waypoint, and then return to Lafayette on our way home for a full charge, which would give us time to eat breakfast and return to our northern suburb in time for a family event. Everything except the Badgers game that day went according to plan.

We proceeded NE to Carmel, north of Indy, to spend the night around midnight or 12:30 with around 110 miles of range, and that's when things got dicey. First, the nav was not up to date so access to a tucked away Marriott was not available based on the nav. I wasted 12-15 miles and had to be talked into the parking lot by a terrific graveyard shift Marriott employee.

The only Indy SC is on the SE end of town, and Lafeyette and Chicago are northwest of Indy, so if anything negatively impacted my consumption calculations for the return trip to the Lafayette SC, I would have to get up early, go the LaQuinta in SE Indy and charge for a bit to top off for the trip to Lafayette. I had effectively planned my estimated range on the way down, and knew I would have to be very accurate in my estimate to make it back to Lafayette in the morning, where I would need a full charge to make it to Chicago.

There were a couple outside factors that had me concerned about making it back to Lafayette the next morning in spite of the onboard Nav's apparent confidence- citing 88 miles of range for a 60 mile trip. On the way down, it was ~60 deg F. Overnight the temp plummeted to well below freezing and my car was parked outside. I woke up and the vampire drain was massive. Range loss of 10% on the 88 or so miles I went to bed with. I was 60 miles from Lafayette, and now had 70ish miles of range. I knew that with heat, 4 people in the car, a headwind and freezing temps we would be in trouble.

I got up early, bit the bullet, drove to SE Indy and charged it up, headed back to Carmel, picked up the family and headed to Lafayette. On the way to Lafayette I realized that the cold weather, wind and load factors were killing my range. I began to do some conservative math in my head and realized that the 150 miles from Lafayette to Chicago, was actually going to be tough if the conditions remained the same. So we charged to about 95% in Lafayette, and jumped on 65 to start our 150 mile journey.

The onboard Nav indicated I should have 25% remaining when I pulled into the driveway. 13 miles later, it said I would have 18% remaining. Holy crap. The lesson here is that if one monitors the information at one's disposal in the Tesla, one can problem solve before one is SOL. I immediately slowed down, turned down the heat, killed the seat warmers, and turned off the radio.

I moved to the slow lane, and 5 miles later, it was still dropping. . . I was going to run out of power- probably somewhere near Gary IN- not the place you want to park a Tesla with your family inside. I needed to do something. So I did. I found this guy:
IMG_1154.jpg

then this happened:

IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1153.jpg

hung behind him for about 90 miles, watched estimated remaining battery climb into the 30% range, waved as he headed to Michigan as I hit the Chicago Skyway, and I actually had enough juice to haul ass home the rest of the way. :)

Any questions?

Since 2008, two Teslas, 100 000 miles, exactly once. And it was definitely my fault, Roadster was relatively new, it was late at night, tired and emotional, I was in a hurry to get home, and when I thought I had enough range to get home, I floored it. Ran out about 1/2 mile from home, fortunately at the top of the hill. About 100 yards of pushing, then coasted to the bottom of my driveway. I left it there until the following morning when I was thinking more clearly, ran an extension cord and the 120V charger to it, and got enough charge to get it up the driveway to charge properly. I hadn't yet learned about slowing down to get more range.