Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you charge?

How often do you charge?

• Only DC fast charge/supercharger

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Every day

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Every other day

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • When the battery gets low

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Can't get enough juice (always plugged in)

Votes: 17 16.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never seen any authoritative information regarding a requirement for balancing Tesla batteries. Random Internet strangers are not authoritative.

It is very clear from the car behaviour that balancing occurs at 100% (or more specifically, during the variable but sometimes very long period when charging between 99% displayed on the gauge and the charge stopping at 100%). The car sits in this condition for long (but variable) periods of time consuming a very small charge current. It is also known from battery tear-down photos that the pack contains conventional bypass resistor balancing circuits.

We don't know from a completely authoritative source that it is definitely doing top balancing, but this is common industry practice and from evidence visible to any owner it looks very much like the car is doing it; no evidence or theory has been offered to contradict this. So I consider this true beyond reasonable doubt. Less certain is whether it attempts to do any balancing at lower charge levels. It doesn't appear to do general balancing during regular 90% charging (as otherwise you wouldn't have accumulated imbalance to give the variable time spent balancing on the rare occasion you then do a 100% charge); possibly it might correct gross imbalance during regular charging and only leave fine balance for a 100% charge.

Then there is the question of whether (or to what extent) imbalance actually matters.

It's very clear from the physics of the situation that imbalance gives you lower available capacity/range, but this is not a permanent loss as it is immediately restored just by doing the balancing. In the Tesla case, this really doesn't matter much: if you are charging to 90% then you plainly don't care about getting the ultimate range that day (else you would have charged to 100%), and on the day when you do want ultimate range you will have charged to 100% and so the battery will be balanced. So the only time it has any impact at all is if you have been charging to 90% for months and then suddenly decide that you want to make a testing-the-limits-of-range trip and you happen to have exactly 90 minutes of charging time before departure: that's enough to top off from 90% to 100% on a home chargepoint, but not enough to be sure of completing balancing. But that's an exceedingly unlikely scenario - much more likely your trip is planned in advance so you charge to 100% overnight, or you need to leave "right now" and don't have time to take advantage of the little bit of extra capacity that balancing would have given you. So essentially this can be ignored.

Separately, it is likely that imbalance will lead to inaccuracy in the 'fuel gauge'. From the physics, it's unlikely that this effect doesn't exist at all; from practical experience it seems like the effect is small.

Finally, there's the question of whether driving with a state of imbalance leads to more wear/permanent degradation than driving with the pack perfectly balanced. The theory that says this is important is that imbalance causes the worst-case cells to charge to more extreme voltages (high or low) than the ones in the middle and that more degradation occurs under those conditions; furthermore, that this has a cumulative effect because those worst case cells suffering the most wear are likely to become even more worst-case. This is by far the most speculative aspect of this discussion, as we don't have any authoritative information about what causes degradation, other than that Tesla tells us 100% should be avoided while 90% is OK. Plainly, if the theory is correct then the greater the extent of the imbalance the more it matters. Anecdotal results (looking for example at the amount of 'gauge range' recovered by doing a balancing cycle, or the time taken to balance against the teardown pics view of the balancing resistors which would take >20 hours to balance by 1% of capacity) suggest that imbalance is seldom more than 1%. So while the effect might be there, it's not huge.

My personal opinion from all of this is that doing a charge to 100% maybe once a year might be beneficial - but if you do at least one long trip a year you will have done that without having to think about it.

Finally, it's worth noting that there is no point in stressing over the absolute best charging strategy, as it is impossible to achieve it! Even if you knew everything about the cell chemistry and the behaviour of the car, you still can't do it unless you know in advance exactly how much you will be driving every day. One unplanned trip and your strategy is toast.

I would only charge to 100% if I was really desperate or needed to do a very occasional Battery Management System (BMS) recalibration. I basically hook the car up whenever parking at home and the car charges from 00:30 off-peak as I'm with Octopus Go. I've actually just set a Teslafi schedule to stop charging at 04:30, when the off peak rate finishes. It hasn't come into play yet though.

Originally, I charged to 90% bu recently I reduced that to 80 and then 70% thinking it would be marginally kinder to the battery. But I recently read somewhere that the BMS can get confused by this so just tonight I have reset the charge limit back to 90% and that's what Elon Musk apparently recommends.

As others have said here, when on a longer journey plan in advance with something like abetterrouteplanner.com and focus on an extra shorter stop or two supercharging at a relatively low SoC rather than fewer longer stops. Charging rate is much faster at lower battery states. if you ever do charge to 100% - don't leave it parked at 100%; it's not good for the battery. Also at 100% there will be no regen braking for a few miles so be warned!

Reactions: Roy W.
This afternoon i have charged my car to 100% (not done this for 6 weeks)

The last 1% takes roughly 25mins on a 7Kw wallpod (Rolec one). This would happen on most/all chargers.

The amps dropped to 4amps in the last 10-20 mins which is what i would expect if the car is balancing the batteries, this allows it to trickle charge the batteries at the end and allows the cells to balance the volts across each battery cell to top up correctly and balance.

Range shown on Teslafi at 100% for SR+ is now 228miles (Was 237 the last time i did it in August and was a lot warmer) - will check in car if the same range is shown. My App shows the % (Wish you could toggle that on the app!)

Cold weather does drop your expected 100% charge capacity/range.

This happens with my LIPO batteries on my freestyle drones - they get sloshy/saggy and don't fly for as long in the cold, also i get 4mins flight out of my batteries usually going over 100mph! - This reminds me, does the 0-60 get effected by the cold on the M3? i bet it does!

Last edited:
This happens with my LIPO batteries on my freestyle drones - they get sloshy/saggy and don't fly for as long in the cold, also i get 4mins flight out of my batteries usually going over 100mph! - This reminds me, does the 0-60 get effected by the cold on the M3? i bet it does!

Of topic but when I flew r/c leccy helis then winter time keep the lipos in inside pockets for body warmth - just make sure you can get at it quick if it 'thermal runaways'
For tesla adjust winter charging (if practicable) so it finishes when you want to leave and use the mains for warming the inside. The car will heat the main pack when you drive but can take 20 miles (on my S ) when very cold.

Of topic but when I flew r/c leccy helis then winter time keep the lipos in inside pockets for body warmth - just make sure you can get at it quick if it 'thermal runaways'
For tesla adjust winter charging (if practicable) so it finishes when you want to leave and use the mains for warming the inside. The car will heat the main pack when you drive but can take 20 miles (on my S ) when very cold.
Very true, and also although not recommended, put the batteries on a Radiator before i fly!

Just need a big pocket for my M3! :)